7” to 8.4” upgrading screen size success

diesel1218

First Name
Derrick Andrews
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Willys
Does anyone know if you HAVE to provide your VIN when ordering form Mopar Wholesale? Have a little concern that my VIN will show this radio doesn't go to my JLU SportS and they'll cancel the order?
The site I used, I provided my VIN and they shipped to me same day with no issues.
Sponsored

JLBeast

First Name
Dozi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S
Went well, no issues at all. Very easy swap. I have not had the dealer update the VIN because the radio is so new I know there arent any updates.
Have you swapped out your climate controls?

jessedoesitall

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Stuff
Vehicle Showcase

TexaClone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
I’m curious if anyone has updated one of the 8.4 systems after the 5-15-19 update came out? There are ways to get the right file and without the telematics it shouldn’t be affected over the air. If successful, have you had any other issues?

I’m really interested in this since I got a 2018 off the lot and mainly use Car Play, plus I really want the HD radio as reception can be spotty in my area but HD clears it up.

I think I can get a new screen sent so the other question is what happens if you have a new screen with the MOPAR part numbers and get asked for an unlock code? The part number and vin won’t match, right?

Sponsored

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

I’m curious if anyone has updated one of the 8.4 systems after the 5-15-19 update came out? There are ways to get the right file and without the telematics it shouldn’t be affected over the air. If successful, have you had any other issues?

I’m really interested in this since I got a 2018 off the lot and mainly use Car Play, plus I really want the HD radio as reception can be spotty in my area but HD clears it up.

I think I can get a new screen sent so the other question is what happens if you have a new screen with the MOPAR part numbers and get asked for an unlock code? The part number and vin won’t match, right?
I purchased an 8.4" from Infotainment at the beginning of August 2019, and installed it last weekend. The install went easy. Watch the video, make sure you get some trim tools. Cheap on Amazon, and you will use them a LOT with the Jeep! Back to the install, I didn't even have to put in the security code. Which was good, as I didn't get a code in the box. Infotainment told me that may be because mine was a new unit, and not a refurb. Infotainment sent me the code in email, which I shall keep for any future needs.
Emails that I sent to Infotainment were answered within a couple of business days, which is all I ask for. Thumbs up for their support and answers (code question, a few pre sales questions)

I have a 2018 Sport S. it came with the 7" unit.

Carplay on the 8.4" is significantly more usable. I use Waze a lot, and the user experience is significantly better on the larger screen. HD Radio on FM is nice as well.

I cannot get updates from FCA, as the Uconnect system still thinks my VIN has the 7". I will see if I can get the dealer to update the sales code for me.

That being said, I would ABSOLUTELY NOT recommend going this route. Infotainment is awesome. I have ZERO good things to say about FCA. I have experienced absolute incompetence at every level.
I would wait for the Alpine unit to come out, and see what their support story looks like

I may wander a bit here, so please stick with me!

Carplay has completely stopped working on my 8.4". When I had the 7" installed, Carplay could be picked up on USB1 (dash), and USB2 (inside the console). When I installed the 8.4", I could get power on USB2, but the 8.4" unit does not see the iphone on the media connection, nor would Carplay work. Yesterday, I tried a few things with my Tazer JL to help someone with a light problem on this forum. I enabled XM traffic and weather, which is actually sort cool.. However, Carplay is no longer getting picked up on AUX1. The Media manager now thinks my iphone is an ipod. I will tear into the dash today and check that USB connection. I am also taking my Jeep in tomorrow and am thinking about putting my 7" unit back in, to save me some headaches while the dealer works with FCA to figure out why they can't get the code to enabled my Mopar LED front turn signals to work.

This brings me to FCA. I will not accept any answer other than "the difference between what you have, and what we do at the factory is X, here is what you need to make it work". Last time I checked FCA builds, specs, sources this stuff. they should know. The radio is built by Panasonic btw. I am not saying these upgrades have to be cheap or reasonably priced.. they do know how to make it all work.. Instead, Jeep has told me both on the phone, and publicly in this forum, that if it is not part of the original factory installation... it will not work, and it is not supported. This included Mopar parts and accessory kits. This makes zero sense to me. I have been told how complicated these magical computers are... blah blah blah.. (I have been in hardware, software, and manufacturing for my entire career... no magic. either the hardware is bad or the code path needs to be tweaked. no mystery). I expect FCA to support this stuff, and not make me care about their different divisions (btw, I totally get that Mopar carries a different warranty than Jeep, and this makes sense)

I had some flakeyness on the USB2 port when I had the 7" installed. Would need to plug/unplug the phone a few times to get it to see Carplay. I noted that the USB connection on the back of the radio to whatever hub device they are using is a USB Mini B... which I have not seen used for a hub connection. I am also wondering if the Sahara and Rubicon are using a different USB hub model, as they have more ports available for the rear passengers.. regardless, USB is not a new thing, and is pretty well understood.

In a nutshell.. FCA support is really pathetic. My experience with Alpine in the past has been a lot better. I would wait for the Alpine unit.

TexaClone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
I purchased an 8.4" from Infotainment at the beginning of August 2019, and installed it last weekend. The install went easy. Watch the video, make sure you get some trim tools. Cheap on Amazon, and you will use them a LOT with the Jeep! Back to the install, I didn't even have to put in the security code. Which was good, as I didn't get a code in the box. Infotainment told me that may be because mine was a new unit, and not a refurb. Infotainment sent me the code in email, which I shall keep for any future needs.
Emails that I sent to Infotainment were answered within a couple of business days, which is all I ask for. Thumbs up for their support and answers (code question, a few pre sales questions)

I have a 2018 Sport S. it came with the 7" unit.

Carplay on the 8.4" is significantly more usable. I use Waze a lot, and the user experience is significantly better on the larger screen. HD Radio on FM is nice as well.

I cannot get updates from FCA, as the Uconnect system still thinks my VIN has the 7". I will see if I can get the dealer to update the sales code for me.

That being said, I would ABSOLUTELY NOT recommend going this route. Infotainment is awesome. I have ZERO good things to say about FCA. I have experienced absolute incompetence at every level.
I would wait for the Alpine unit to come out, and see what their support story looks like

I may wander a bit here, so please stick with me!

Carplay has completely stopped working on my 8.4". When I had the 7" installed, Carplay could be picked up on USB1 (dash), and USB2 (inside the console). When I installed the 8.4", I could get power on USB2, but the 8.4" unit does not see the iphone on the media connection, nor would Carplay work. Yesterday, I tried a few things with my Tazer JL to help someone with a light problem on this forum. I enabled XM traffic and weather, which is actually sort cool.. However, Carplay is no longer getting picked up on AUX1. The Media manager now thinks my iphone is an ipod. I will tear into the dash today and check that USB connection. I am also taking my Jeep in tomorrow and am thinking about putting my 7" unit back in, to save me some headaches while the dealer works with FCA to figure out why they can't get the code to enabled my Mopar LED front turn signals to work.

This brings me to FCA. I will not accept any answer other than "the difference between what you have, and what we do at the factory is X, here is what you need to make it work". Last time I checked FCA builds, specs, sources this stuff. they should know. The radio is built by Panasonic btw. I am not saying these upgrades have to be cheap or reasonably priced.. they do know how to make it all work.. Instead, Jeep has told me both on the phone, and publicly in this forum, that if it is not part of the original factory installation... it will not work, and it is not supported. This included Mopar parts and accessory kits. This makes zero sense to me. I have been told how complicated these magical computers are... blah blah blah.. (I have been in hardware, software, and manufacturing for my entire career... no magic. either the hardware is bad or the code path needs to be tweaked. no mystery). I expect FCA to support this stuff, and not make me care about their different divisions (btw, I totally get that Mopar carries a different warranty than Jeep, and this makes sense)

I had some flakeyness on the USB2 port when I had the 7" installed. Would need to plug/unplug the phone a few times to get it to see Carplay. I noted that the USB connection on the back of the radio to whatever hub device they are using is a USB Mini B... which I have not seen used for a hub connection. I am also wondering if the Sahara and Rubicon are using a different USB hub model, as they have more ports available for the rear passengers.. regardless, USB is not a new thing, and is pretty well understood.

In a nutshell.. FCA support is really pathetic. My experience with Alpine in the past has been a lot better. I would wait for the Alpine unit.
Thanks for the response - totally understand what I'm getting into. I have all the trim tools. I have a JLU Sport S and have added the following:

Tazer JL (First step - I read a lot about the DealerConnect and WiTech issues prior to buying)
Katzkin Degreez seats - awesome
MOPAR LED Heads - the dealer didn't implement code LPX correctly - so, thank you Tazer - still need to get that addressed, but honestly, the thought just makes me tired.
MOPAR LED fogs - again, thank you Tazer - need to get sales code LNV set for that.
MOPAR LED Tail Lights - apparently no issues, but I modified with Tazer anyway. Didn't come with a sales code listed in the kit.
MOPAR towing receiver and trailer light connection - haven't done anything with the Tazer on that.
Diode Dynamics LED Switchbacks - modified the computer with the Tazer - no diodes installed - just the Tazer setting, so no hyperflash, bright white when lights are on, turn signal otherwise. Looks like there is a sales code LMX - but that is for the Rubicon High top LED fenders - AND, it isn't available in DealerConnect for the Sport S.

Last thing I want to do for now is the 8.4 - the Alpine unit looks interesting, so might wait for that, but I did figure out how to download the Uconnect updates directly and I've read about the features, etc. Your USB issues are concerning, but I am still considering giving this a try as I have had zero issues with the USB connections and I currently have the 7" and the beta of IOS 13 installed, so I really want the larger screen. I am wondering if the Tazer guys can help this situation - of course, setting this would all be outside of 'normal' dealer work.

One thing I will say, I haven't ever owned a Jeep nor a Dodge/Chrysler, etc. But, the Jeep dealers in my area have HORRIBLE service departments. I think I have more faith in my work than their's anyway. The only other things I plan on doing are wheels, tires and maybe a lift and then new fenders, so I'm not terribly worried about the dealer unless I need warranty work done.

The Tazer has been stable for me so far, but it's only been a week. I was thinking of pulling it out and then seeing how that goes after I get the 8.4 - as long as I don't unmarry, my settings should stay, until I have to get a BCM/PCM flash at the dealer.

This whole unlock code thing is my last concern - if I can get that for the radio head unit, then I'll be good in my self-supporting state - I already have 2,000 miles on the vehicle in a month, so my warranty won't make it long anyway.. haha

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

Thanks for the response - totally understand what I'm getting into. I have all the trim tools. I have a JLU Sport S and have added the following:

One thing I will say, I haven't ever owned a Jeep nor a Dodge/Chrysler, etc. But, the Jeep dealers in my area have HORRIBLE service departments. I think I have more faith in my work than their's anyway. The only other things I plan on doing are wheels, tires and maybe a lift and then new fenders, so I'm not terribly worried about the dealer unless I need warranty work done.

The Tazer has been stable for me so far, but it's only been a week. I was thinking of pulling it out and then seeing how that goes after I get the 8.4 - as long as I don't unmarry, my settings should stay, until I have to get a BCM/PCM flash at the dealer.

This whole unlock code thing is my last concern - if I can get that for the radio head unit, then I'll be good in my self-supporting state - I already have 2,000 miles on the vehicle in a month, so my warranty won't make it long anyway.. haha
I am not impressed with the Jeep dealers in my area either. Not impressed with FCA, and how each division is willing to throw the other under the bus, as well as the dealer!

I put my 7" back in, and both USB1 and USB2 are seeing Carplay... can't find my freakin' 7" bezel now.. so I will go without for now and order another one.. if the dealer mentions it, will tell them that USB2 is flaking out!

It is concerning to me that the 8.4" isn't picking up the USB, and the 7" is behaving differently. Same connection. I would expect it to be the same hub.

I checked my 8.4" when I had it out. It is a build date of April 2019, so I may not have the May update on it. I don't have a way to get the updates. I went looking for 2018's with 8.4"'s on them so I could snag a VIN. I found a few 2019's, but the web site said no update was needed!

Anyway, I may send my 8.4" back. I like the bigger screen, but if Carplay isn't working right, it doesn't do me any good!

I run Apple betas as well. Seems to not be the Apple side.

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
I know this is just my opinion, and as my blessed Mama used to say "Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one." :)

I don't understand the need to go up 1.4" in screen size. With the cost, hassle, lack of manufacturer support, stuff not working, updates not being installed, and on and on it seems rather silly?

Tell me why would you want to put up with all that hassle just for a little bit larger screen?

TexaClone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
I know this is just my opinion, and as my blessed Mama used to say "Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one." :)

I don't understand the need to go up 1.4" in screen size. With the cost, hassle, lack of manufacturer support, stuff not working, updates not being installed, and on and on it seems rather silly?

Tell me why would you want to put up with all that hassle just for a little bit larger screen?
There is more than just screen size - especially with the new Apple CarPlay, however with this getting close enough to post pre-orders, I may just switch to this instead: https://www.abt.com/product/129853/...m-For-2018-Up-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-I209WRAJL.html

Sponsored

TexaClone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
I went ahead and but the bullet and ordered a new unit. They are shipping today from Mopar for me. So, it doesn’t seem they have stopped being able to get new units out.

This is the 68295725AH unit. I am upgrading from the 7 so everything but LTE should be there.

Can’t wait to give it a go! Also have the 5-15 update ready for it in case it needs it.

TexaClone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
Got my tracking number - order didn't get blocked - used Mopar America. Can't wait to give it a try! Will report back with any results.

TexaClone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
Just installed the new radio.

Everything worked on first boot. But when it rebooted and finished identifying everything, USB2 stopped working for CarPlay.

Otherwise everything is working like I would expect. I saw another thread with some USB2 troubleshooting but I’m wondering if it’s a setting in the 8.4 that is the problem.

The two purple connectors are the only things I’m not using. I know one is for the LTE, not sure on the other one.

exilepa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Just installed the new radio.

Everything worked on first boot. But when it rebooted and finished identifying everything, USB2 stopped working for CarPlay.

Otherwise everything is working like I would expect. I saw another thread with some USB2 troubleshooting but I’m wondering if it’s a setting in the 8.4 that is the problem.

The two purple connectors are the only things I’m not using. I know one is for the LTE, not sure on the other one.
Did your SiriusXM work as well? I can't get mine working on the 8.4 I bought? Mind PM'ing me a picture of how you connected everything? Wondering if I have a wire in the wrong spot even though you shouldn't be able to....

TexaClone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
Did your SiriusXM work as well? I can't get mine working on the 8.4 I bought? Mind PM'ing me a picture of how you connected everything? Wondering if I have a wire in the wrong spot even though you shouldn't be able to....
I’ll send photos tomorrow. I am wondering if the usb connector on the back of the radio didn’t get pushed in all the way.

But, yes, everything worked except for Sirius Guardian. I even had Travel Link when I first turned on the unit. When it very first came up, CarPlay started for USB 2 and I figured it was just going to work.

Sirius switched the subscription I have over to this unit and it is definitely a new radio, made in May 2019 and wasn’t associated with an existing vehicle.
Sponsored