Sponsored

7” to 8.4” Upgrade Issues/Help

exilepa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Okay folks, hopefully the community can assist! I purchased a new 8.4 to upgrade the 7 that came with my 2019 JLUS. My USB2 no longer works for Android Auto like it did with the 7, is this normal? I am a ding-dong and didn't pay attention to where/which colors were plugged into which connectors on the radio when I dis-connected the 7, possible I didn't get the wires right? I mean, it seemed like wires wouldn't hook up to spots they weren't supposed to with the keying? I'm going to attempt to attach a picture, maybe someone who has done the swap on a 2019 can tell me if I have the connectors in the right places? Thanks in advance folks!

20190814_235708.jpg

20190814_235717.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
The connectors cannot be plugged into the wrong slots as they are all a little different

OP
OP

exilepa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Kind of what I thought too.... The teal connector also plugs into the grey receptacle as well which has me confused!

danny01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
That's happening because the new radio still hasn't done a relearn procedure of the configuration of your vehicle. This same thing happened to me when I upgraded my 5 inch to the 7 inch radio.

You can initiate this relearn procedure by either using a Tazer and selecting full reboot or disconnecting the battery terminals and connecting them again after a couple of minutes.

Anyhow, eventually the radio will configure itself to your vehicle and you'll see that USB 2 works and Sirius works as well.

OP
OP

exilepa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Ahhh, that might explain it! I was wondering WTH was going on when everything was working but USB2! I may try disconnecting the battery at lunch today and see what happens!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Sylent2018

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport 2 door
Can the relearn procedure be why my 5" uconnect won't detect the compass and satellite radio? I traced the wires and don't see any breaks. I had the 5" removed for about 3 weeks while I tested out and android radio.

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

I had the same issue with the usb ports in my center console when I upgraded to the 8.4. Carplay and Android Auto only work on usb1. I will try the Tazer JL reboot this weekend.

captainstabbins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I cannot get this damn head unit to reboot and re-learn for anything! I pulled the battery cables, it still powered on with battery cables pulled, assuming the 2nd battery was still taking care of this. Pulled the fuse, thought might "reboot" it, nope. Once reconnected all it did was tell me to restart the engine. Still no sxm after that process. Really don't want to drop the $$ on a Tazer just to make this darn head unit reboot!
You could pull the radio out and reinstall. By pulling the power from the back of the radio it should reboot again...

OP
OP

exilepa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
You could pull the radio out and reinstall. By pulling the power from the back of the radio it should reboot again...
Tried that as well. Maybe the radio has an internal battery/capacitor as well that I need to let bleed off? Might be a bad bead unit I guess as well.

OP
OP

exilepa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
I had the same issue with the usb ports in my center console when I upgraded to the 8.4. Carplay and Android Auto only work on usb1. I will try the Tazer JL reboot this weekend.
Let me know if the TazerJL reboot fixes it!

Sponsored

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

Let me know if the TazerJL reboot fixes it!
I did the full reboot with the Tazer Jl. I still cannot see anything on USB2. USB1 works fine. @danny01 , When this works, do you do a Full Reboot? Are you doing a full unmarry and factory reset? I was able to turn on XM Traffic with the Tazer JL. Weather and traffic seem to be working.

danny01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I did the full reboot with the Tazer Jl. I still cannot see anything on USB2. USB1 works fine. @danny01 , When this works, do you do a Full Reboot? Are you doing a full unmarry and factory reset? I was able to turn on XM Traffic with the Tazer JL. Weather and traffic seem to be working.
For me a Tazer reboot fixed it. You'll know the UConnect system has finished configuring itself when the Jeep logos are displayed on startup and turning off the vehicle.

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

For me a Tazer reboot fixed it. You'll know the UConnect system has finished configuring itself when the Jeep logos are displayed on startup and turning off the vehicle.
They do. Interestingly enough, USB1 stopped recognizing carplay as well. Which model Jeep do you have? I have a Sport S that originally came with the 7" screen. This 8.4" device is unacceptably flakey. Mine was new.

danny01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
They do. Interestingly enough, USB1 stopped recognizing carplay as well. Which model Jeep do you have? I have a Sport S that originally came with the 7" screen. This 8.4" device is unacceptably flakey. Mine was new.
I have a Sport that came with the 5 inch screen. Once I rebooted, USB 2 appeared on the radio screen and everything else worked fine afterwards. It is well-known that these UConnect systems are sometimes fickle and inconsistent.

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

I have a Sport that came with the 5 inch screen. Once I rebooted, USB 2 appeared on the radio screen and everything else worked fine afterwards. It is well-known that these UConnect systems are sometimes fickle and inconsistent.
I can see USB2. It powers my iphone. It will not see it as a media device.
Sponsored