willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

I put the 7" back in. All USBs are good, and work with Carplay. The driver stack on the 8.4" must be horked. USB isn't hard...
Sponsored

Xeefactor

First Name
Leasia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler unlimited sport jl
I put the 7" back in. All USBs are good, and work with Carplay. The driver stack on the 8.4" must be horked. USB isn't hard...
Are you going to be selling the 7 inch

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

Quick update. My dealer refused to add the 8.4" to my VIN. I will try the update on my 8.4" in a couple of weeks when I have time. I am reading I might get Off Road Pages with the May update. I will also see if it works better with the USB.

TexaClone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
Quick update. My dealer refused to add the 8.4" to my VIN. I will try the update on my 8.4" in a couple of weeks when I have time. I am reading I might get Off Road Pages with the May update. I will also see if it works better with the USB.
Did you have a new unit or was it a take out from eBay?

Sponsored

TexaClone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
I ordered the unit from Infotainment. It also happened to be a new unit too!
Yeah, I wondered because my new unit included the update and it is perfect except for USB 2. So weird.

OP
OP

exilepa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Same here. Mine is brand new and updated. No USB2
My theory --- I am not an electrical engineer but I surmise that they have "split the USB lanes" so to speak on the 8.4 radio. On the back of the 8.4 unit you'll notice 2 plug-ins that have USB connectors. With the Sport units we only have one plug-in. Now, the 8.4 head unit is only an option on the Sahara and up. I'm guessing since the Sahara and up come with USB ports in the back seat as well, they divided the power out put of this unit for the USB ports to enable it to deliver power to the rear ports as well giving the Sahara and up that 2nd USB port plug in for the back of the unit. So, yes, it will provide power to USB2 in sport units, but not enough power to handle CarPlay/Android Auto. Now if someone could come up with an adapter to combine the 2nd USB port plug-in on the back of the 8.4, unit, it would probably fix the problem.

TexaClone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
My theory --- I am not an electrical engineer but I surmise that they have "split the USB lanes" so to speak on the 8.4 radio. On the back of the 8.4 unit you'll notice 2 plug-ins that have USB connectors. With the Sport units we only have one plug-in. Now, the 8.4 head unit is only an option on the Sahara and up. I'm guessing since the Sahara and up come with USB ports in the back seat as well, they divided the power out put of this unit for the USB ports to enable it to deliver power to the rear ports as well giving the Sahara and up that 2nd USB port plug in for the back of the unit. So, yes, it will provide power to USB2 in sport units, but not enough power to handle CarPlay/Android Auto. Now if someone could come up with an adapter to combine the 2nd USB port plug-in on the back of the 8.4, unit, it would probably fix the problem.
Interesting thought, but I think it seems like something in the firmware - mine pulled Carplay up on first boot - I didn't realize it, but I had my phone plugged into USB2 when I turned the vehicle on after I installed the new stereo. After it did a vehicle discovery and rebooted, though, I haven't been able to use USB2 for anything other than charging since.

I do have a 2018, so that might be different - and my 8.4" unit - which I got from Mopar America new - AH is the last two digits in the part number - had two purple connectors that were left open.

I think that blue connector is your SXM antenna - red is the radio antenna I think. Purple is LTE - but not sure what the lighter purple is.

Sponsored

TexaClone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
One thing that would be interesting is making sure everyone has the same unit connections - here is what I had - it works for SXM, HD Audio, GPS Navigation, pulls up the vehicle manual correctly, has the maps, does bluetooth and USB1 works for Carplay but USB2 only works to charge now. This unit only has one USB connector - and on first boot it DID see USB2 - and pulled up Carplay, but ever since it rebooted the first time it only charges on USB2. Two ports on the back are not connected - the dark purple and the light purple or the red - I am away from the vehicle and can't remember.

This is the Wrangler layout for the dash bezel as well.

upload_2019-8-26_1-4-3.png

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

USB doesn't quite work that way. If anything, from a hardware perspective, you can run into power issues if you share too many USB ports without boosting the power. 500ma per port is spec. You will see higher power ports to support smart devices. Usually, the power adapter advertises this. 1A to 2.4A is fairly common. I would expect to see a second or third port cause power problems.

For communications, that would be a software (firmware) limitation. As USB devices ID to the operating system, you could limit features or functionality.

My bet, and this is just a guess, is that this is a bug in the firmware.

I am running around on vacation right now. When I get back, I want to really take a look at the USB "wiring" system that FCA has put in here. I am even going to order a cable from Amazon and see what happens when I run a usb mini b to the center console. I don't really care for the dash plugs as much.

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

forgot to add. Was watching a youtube channel on how to do Uconnect updates over USB. Interestingly enough, the video stated that USB2 was only for power, and not a data connection. This was a third party person that did the video. I have not seen any documentation from FCA that states this. I did find it a bit interesting, in light of the issues that we are seeing.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
USB 2 also does data I know when my wife charges her phone is asks to connect to CarPlay and I upgraded from the 7 to the 8.4 and have had no USB issues

Toxiclows

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willy’s jl
the great non fakra plug is the usb. . . the round ones are not usb those are fakra for. antenna siruis cellular. etc.
Sponsored