ABar112

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
When using ORP does the altitude, longitude and latitude settings display on the bottom of ORP pages?

The new Tazer update gave me ORP on my ‘18 Sport S and the ORP works fine EXCEPT it doesn’t show the altitude, longitude or latitude settings. It shows - - in those fields.

I’m on Uconnect ver 21. I did pull fuse 97 and that worked but only one time. When I started the Jeep 10 minutes later those settings only show - -

I tried disabling ORP, full Tazer reboot, Reenabled ORP, full Tazer reboot but no luck.

Pulled fuse 97 a couple different times after and still sows - - in those fields.
It showed up on mine. Did you install/already have the antenna for XM? I've seen others say it not show as well, but can't remember what it was. I feel like the antenna had something to do with it.
Sponsored

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
It showed up on mine. Did you install/already have the antenna for XM? I've seen others say it not show as well, but can't remember what it was. I feel like the antenna had something to do with it.

Yes I have the xm/ gps antenna. Nav/maps works fine. While using navigation I can click my current location and it will display the altitude longitude and latitude readings ! So i know that works. It just doesn’t show on the ORPs!

do you know what Uconnect software version your running. I’m on version 21

ABar112

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I have the xm/ gps antenna. Nav/maps works fine. While using navigation I can click my current location and it will display the altitude longitude and latitude readings ! So i know that works. It just doesn’t show on the ORPs!

do you know what Uconnect software version your running. I’m on version 21
I'm on the 21.10.0

CubedRoot

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I'm new here. We just bought a 2018 JL with a 7" that has sirius.

I'm really wanting to swap in an 8.4" and get the WIFI option. If I pick up a radio from the ebay seller mentioned in this thread, and then install the wifi antenna and cable, will I be able to activate the wifi plan? I'm not worried about Sirus Guardian because we don't have remote start on our Sahara anyways.

We also have the AUX switches in our jeep, so is there any programming needed to enable the menu pages on the 8.4 if we have these in our jeep?

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

We also have the AUX switches in our jeep, so is there any programming needed to enable the menu pages on the 8.4 if we have these in our jeep?
No programming necessary. Just let the radio sit for up to 24 hours to learn your vehicle. The radio in the JL is tied to the vehicle CANBUS and needs time to learn all the vehicle’s features.

CubedRoot

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
So, I picked up a new 8.4" unit that was bought from one of the sponsors here. Its a new part, never installed.

I'm also buying a new LTE cellular antenna and cable to install in the Jeep before I install the 8.4" display. Are the odds of me being able to call ATT and activate the hotspot in the new 8.4" good?

And the same for Travelink? My jeep already has Sirius antenna installed.

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
So, I picked up a new 8.4" unit that was bought from one of the sponsors here. Its a new part, never installed.

I'm also buying a new LTE cellular antenna and cable to install in the Jeep before I install the 8.4" display. Are the odds of me being able to call ATT and activate the hotspot in the new 8.4" good?

And the same for Travelink? My jeep already has Sirius antenna installed.
I was unable to get that done when I installed the 8.4 in my 2018. I did the same thing of install the LTE antenna and cable. But those other features could not be enabled due to my VIN not having the valid sales codes for those options. It is my understanding that it is technically possible to add those sales codes. But finding an FCA person willing to push that through for you is incredibly difficult.

I 'fixed" it by getting new one with the 8.4 already installed :-D.

CubedRoot

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
well crap. I'm guessing buying a used 8.4 used that came from a jeep that had wifi enabled, wouldn't work either, as the unit "learns" what features it should enable from the CAN bus correct?

I've read that a Tazer will enable the Sirius stuff, but not sure about wifi

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Sponsored

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
well crap. I'm guessing buying a used 8.4 used that came from a jeep that had wifi enabled, wouldn't work either, as the unit "learns" what features it should enable from the CAN bus correct?

I've read that a Tazer will enable the Sirius stuff, but not sure about wifi

Correct used would be the same issue. Its all about whether or not your VIN is in the Sirius Guardian and FCA/ATT "datbase" as having those features.

The Tazer will make Travelink show up. Not sure for how long that feature would work. Since even on the ones the 8.4 comes with is only available for 5 years. It costs money after that.

CubedRoot

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
That leads me to believe that the radio learns what features it should enable from the CAN bus correct? Which means buying a used 8.4" radio that had wifi enabled, it would soon be disabled in my jeep?

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

That leads me to believe that the radio learns what features it should enable from the CAN bus correct? Which means buying a used 8.4" radio that had wifi enabled, it would soon be disabled in my jeep?
Correct to both.

hiilong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
For those of you contemplating upgrading from 7” to 8.4”. Here is some important additional information. The basic swap is easy and covered in other threads.

Wifi/LTE functionality:

If your Jeep did not come from factory with 8.4” you will be missing the LTE antenna. You will have only one (smaller antenna) on your soundbar. The larger antenna is part number

68293962AA

available from online Mopar parts dealers. Here is a picture:

3B919DF0-4E1B-4832-8019-126BA9C761AF.jpeg

D0E8234C-FA41-4F2D-819B-EC6CB1BDE718.jpeg
5A8E6D83-CC1C-4F20-AA75-5964BF17B3E2.jpeg

You will also need a 12’ RG174 cable with male and female FAKRA D connectors. FAKRA cables are keyed and colored differently depending on application, but all share same technical specs. The dark violet connector type “D” is for GSM applications. Again connectors are identical except for keying and color.

You will need to drop dome light an surrounding trim. You will need to raise hard top slightly to be able to pop antenna into location on sound bar.

Once antenna is in place, it is tightened by an adjustment screw via the access you created by dropping the dome light. Use the sat antenna as an example, its base will be visible. Be sure not to pinch antenna cable

Route the cable pigtail along dome light/ speaker cables and zip tie. Connect your 12’ FAKRA cable to the pigtail and along the sound bar down behind the b pillar trim on pass side, along pass side beneath floor trim, behind glove box, up to radio, plug into dark violet connector. Zip tie as necessary.

You will now be able to activate service via the app on the radio. You will send an email to yourself from this app.

I was able to get registered with SiriusXM Guardian. But could not perform any functions or get vehicle health reports.

Here’s the clincher... the app registers with another VIN. I assume with VIN radio came out of which is possibly stored in Mopar/Xm Guardian Database. Oddly this VIN shows up as a Sahara on a lot in Georgia - I plugged it into Google. Even more strange the vehicle it matches is a 2.0 Turbo which started showing up on dealer lots well after I bought my radio off of ebay (1.5 months ago)

Registering for XM Guardian/Uconnect also added this other vehicle to my Mopar profile.

More than likely something not kosher with how this radio was procured. I naively thought it came out of a wreck. It was factory reset when I got it, I did not need theft code.

Not sure I want to go much further. All I was really interested in was health reports. I may call Uconnect not sure.

Thanks for the Info! I have a question. Do you think this mod is still applicable to the 2020 JLU? Also I notice you mentioned the Fakra D cable is 12 inches long, that seems short to run from the B pillar all the way to the radio. Is there something I may have missed?

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Do you think this mod is still applicable to the 2020 JLU?
Yes, it is.

Also I notice you mentioned the Fakra D cable is 12 inches long, that seems short to run from the B pillar all the way to the radio.
It actually says 12 feet (12'), not 12 inches (12").
Sponsored