Sponsored

6spd Limp Mode after Regear

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Does anyone know if a regear will trigger any kind of limp mode or serious error codes if I have the 6 speed?

Id prefer if the dealership 2 miles down the road from the 4x4 shop would do the reflash instead of using aftermarket means. Anyone think driving the 2 miles without a recal would cause a problem?
Sponsored

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know if a regear will trigger any kind of limp mode or serious error codes if I have the 6 speed?

Id prefer if the dealership 2 miles down the road from the 4x4 shop would do the reflash instead of using aftermarket means. Anyone think driving the 2 miles without a recal would cause a problem?
You’ll be fine to drive without reflash.

Im not 100% sure but i think aftermarket would be better for this application as you can change the gear ratio and tire size.

I’ve never heard of the dealer changing gear ratio in the computer

OP
OP
fdFifty

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You’ll be fine to drive without reflash.

Im not 100% sure but i think aftermarket would be better for this application as you can change the gear ratio and tire size.

I’ve never heard of the dealer changing gear ratio in the computer
Awesome thanks. I was hoping I could avoid the hassle of coordinating a tow.

And yeah it’s not well known but the mopar protection program gives dealers the ability to reflash for tire size up to 42”, gear changes to 5.38, and I also believe they can reflash for transfer case ratio as well.

Aftermarket would be great to change settings on the fly. But I don’t know how warranty claims would work if I have to remove the programmer and still have a non factory gear ratio.

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome thanks. I was hoping I could avoid the hassle of coordinating a tow.

And yeah it’s not well known but the mopar protection program gives dealers the ability to reflash for tire size up to 42”, gear changes to 5.38, and I also believe they can reflash for transfer case ratio as well.

Aftermarket would be great to change settings on the fly. But I don’t know how warranty claims would work if I have to remove the programmer and still have a non factory gear ratio.
Oh wow, good info.

Report back on cost as i want to regear and keep 35s for the foreseeable future so if its cheaper than a tuner it could be worth it

OP
OP
fdFifty

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh wow, good info.

Report back on cost as i want to regear and keep 35s for the foreseeable future so if its cheaper than a tuner it could be worth it
MSRP is $125. It’s a little steep but the cost covers any number of the parameter changes and I believe it is good for any other recals that need to happen within 30 or 90 days. (Can’t remember off hand which). You’ll definitely want to confirm final price with your dealer because I’ve heard some will charge a little extra.

A lot of dealers aren’t familiar with the process yet but if you give Jeep wave a call they should be able to get the appointment set up and get the correct info to the service department. My local dealership was a little reluctant to do the recal for 35 inch tires but Jeep wave customer service got it all sorted out.

Sponsored

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
Bring this back to life, not sure if you regeared yet but i finally did

Manual on 315/70r17 with 4.56 dana spicers

Its amazing first off, also i have no tune or anything and no issues except for some reason after the gears i got “service stop/start system” which is weird but i like that its shut off now.

Also im in canada and called 5 dealers and they have no clue about how to reflash my jeep for gear and tire size like you said above so aftermarket it is.

Driving 60-65mph is great, once you get up to 75mph its pulling almost 2400rpm and thats a little high for me.

Cruising home breaking in the gears at 60ish mph i was getting 19.9mpg on the dash but that number is skewed

OP
OP
fdFifty

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bring this back to life, not sure if you regeared yet but i finally did

Manual on 315/70r17 with 4.56 dana spicers

Its amazing first off, also i have no tune or anything and no issues except for some reason after the gears i got “service stop/start system” which is weird but i like that its shut off now.

Also im in canada and called 5 dealers and they have no clue about how to reflash my jeep for gear and tire size like you said above so aftermarket it is.

Driving 60-65mph is great, once you get up to 75mph its pulling almost 2400rpm and thats a little high for me.

Cruising home breaking in the gears at 60ish mph i was getting 19.9mpg on the dash but that number is skewed
Nice! I got mine done a few weeks ago and it’s great. In my mind it’s one of the best investments I’ve made during this build so far. Like you said rpms get a little high above 70. But I usually find that too much power is spent fighting the wind at speeds above 70 anyway.

Really good to know that you can temporarily get by without the recal on the 6 Spd. I hope most dealers will get on board with the mopar process soon. Although, aftermarket is still a solid way to go.

That stop start warning will happen anytime the vehicle notices a change across the various components it uses to track speed. Same thing happens every time you reflash for tire size or gear ratio. To get rid of the warning you’ll just need to drive for at least 20 seconds in 6th gear between 40-80mph while staying on the throttle once you recalibrate. Like you I couldn’t care less about the ess, but you’ll notice that you loose your backup camera and reverse lights when you get that warning.
Sponsored