Sponsored

67 Designs RAIL now available for the JL

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I got mine.

First of all the Ram balls are a tiny big bigger so that sucks if you plan on using a ram mount. I wanted the ram iPad mount because it was a third of the 67 designs one. I made the ball work but it is not perfect.

The quality is amazing on this stuff. I only used the tape and the two holes and did not drill the extra holes. It is not going anywhere.

Where my phone is it is not ideal for what I want as it is a little too high but I will make it work and get used to it.

wpwood3

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue, 2010 Toyota Sequoia
I’m really pleased with my setup:

Vector Offroad JL E-dock
Vector Offroad 20mm mount balls
67D iPhone squeeze mount
67D nano CF arm
Ram EZ-roller iPad Air2 holder
67D mini CF arm
67D AMPS plate

The Vector rail mounts closer to the front edge of the dash than the 67D rail but, it works with all of the 67D accessories. Since it’s closer to the front edge you can use shorter arms which helps reduce the dynamic weight and reduces the lever arm stresses. It also allows me to position the 67D CF arms at a downward angle so my iPhone and iPad are lower and not blocking my road view.
I like the Ram iPad2 mount better than the 67D version because it works in portrait and landscape. It’s also very low dynamic weight.

F12FB8EB-1EA9-480F-9BE7-A15FAE676493.jpeg

Last edited:

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
I installed the 67 Designs Rail and two arms a few weeks ago. After using it on and off trails, I'm happy with my choice. One arm is for the missus' phone. Will load Locus Map on her phone and the trail we're traveling so she's comfortable that I'm not lost ... and so she can tell me where to go!

For my side of the Jeep, I bought an additional adapter - 67D-CF-B2G 17mm to 20mm Connector - you have to go to their New Additions section and then look on page two where it is the lone product. Love their product ... hate their website.That adapter allows me to mount my Garmin Nuvi's on the rail via Garmin's OEM bracket. Here's my old Nuvi 1450 installed on the rail. Note that the top of the GPS is even with the hood line from my driving position ... perfect position. The Nuvi's are best for on-road travels.

20181109_165333.jpg

Pull the adapter out of the arm and insert a medium Universal Mount sideways, and it'll hold my old smartphone with mapping installed on it. Again, it doesn't interfere with my line of sight over the hood. I could raise it a little by turning the Universal Mount 180 degrees, but it works well like it is. The smart phone with Locus Map is perfect for off-road travels. I've removed as many apps as possible from the phone and disabled the remainder ... the phone will run in excess of 10 hours without external power. Neat!

20181117_171550.jpg

In December, 67 Designs is releasing a Large Universal Mount that will hold a mini tablet. My best guess is that it will fit in the same location, be below the hood line, and not interfere with the air-conditioning nor the radio. Might cover the driver's temp reading from my normal driving position, but that's a very small problem. My mini tablet is loaded with mapping and trails and waiting for it's new home.

This approach gives me three different mapping units that can be mounted on the end of the same arm. I like the fact that the Universal Mount for the mini tablet and a smart phone are the same design ... adds an orderliness to the dash ... not OCD, but consistency of design is important to me.

Thanks for the info on mounting the rail. I took your input about the softness of the dash material and drilled a very, very small pilot hole to increase the amount of material around the screw hole. They tightened up more than I expected.

Reactions: aml

Big Al D

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Install mine today and love the mount. I am using the magnet mounts and they seam to be plenty strong. One issue i had is my wife dropped the allen key down the defroster during her side of the install. It fell down deep. Ugh need to try and fish that out now.
46440668_10215879746699326_100816415879069696_n.jpg

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@everyone

Do any of you guys/gals know of a decent/ quality, 24", USB 3.0 to type C, data, & charging cable. If you do can you provide a link.

All the ones I have found are 18" which is shorter then what I want or they are 3, 6, feet long..

HungryFerret

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Damn it, after driving around for like 20 mins in the Jeep, i broke down and got the rail also.

TxJeeper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ Sahara, 2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I’m really pleased with my setup:

Vector Offroad JL E-dock
Vector Offroad 20mm mount balls
67D iPhone squeeze mount
67D nano CF arm
Ram EZ-roller iPad Air2 holder
67D mini CF arm
67D AMPS plate

The Vector rail mounts closer to the front edge of the dash than the 67D rail but, it works with all of the 67D accessories. Since it’s closer to the front edge you can use shorter arms which helps reduce the dynamic weight and reduces the lever arm stresses. It also allows me to position the 67D CF arms at a downward angle so my iPhone and iPad are lower and not blocking my road view.
I like the Ram iPad2 mount better than the 67D version because it works in portrait and landscape. It’s also very low dynamic weight.

F12FB8EB-1EA9-480F-9BE7-A15FAE676493.jpeg
I feel really stupid at the moment lol. I mounted the Vector Offroad JL E-Dock too. Can you tell me how to "drop" the bases into the rail to screw the 20MM ball to?

wpwood3

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue, 2010 Toyota Sequoia
I feel really stupid at the moment lol. I mounted the Vector Offroad JL E-Dock too. Can you tell me how to "drop" the bases into the rail to screw the 20MM ball to?
The 20mm balls come in 2 flavors:
1) Flat nut
2) Roll nut.
If you have the flat nut you have to insert it into one of the ends of the JL E-Dock.
Only the roll nut type can be installed from the top.
67D 20mm base
I have the Vector 20mm prototype balls which are similar to the 67D flat nut design.

TxJeeper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1) Flat nut
2) Roll nut.
If you have the flat nut you have to insert it into one of the ends of the JL E-Dock.
67D 20mm base
I have the Vector 20mm prototype balls which are similar to the 67D flat nut design.
I have the Vector 20MM with roll nut...they will drop in sideways but stop...do you force them in with the wide side to wind up facing upward?

Sponsored

TxJeeper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1) Flat nut
2) Roll nut.
67D 20mm base
IMG_1758.jpg

IMG_1759.jpg

butcho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
So I got a GoPro for Christmas from Santa and I wanted to use it as a Dash Cam for traffic or offroading. I have the 67d Rail so immediately I went to 67d and looked up the GoPro mount. The 67d GoPro mount which attaches directly to a 20mm ball that comes with the rail edition was sold out so I decided to fashion my own.

Parts you need
An available 20mm Ball that attaches to the rail
Carbon Fiber Arm - Nano
The business end of the 67d MagMount (the magnetic peice)
A generic GoPro base
A peice of metal that can stick to the GoPro base

To me, this is a better mount than than using the GoPro mount from 67d. That requires you to attach/detach it to the ball or the GoPro base every time which is kind of a pain. I have a soft top so if someone sees my GoPro and wants it, they are definitely going to grab it so it makes sense more for a magnetic mount that you can just grab it and take it with you where ever you go.

IMG_5472.JPG
IMG_2460.JPG
IMG_6926.JPG
IMG_3302.JPG

View attachment 125232

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

aml

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue JLUR
I like it. Does it vibrate on the magnet and move? I know my past phone would move on a magnet mount.

butcho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I like it. Does it vibrate on the magnet and move? I know my past phone would move on a magnet mount.
If it does I don't see it. GoPros have stabilization software that usually in effect.

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
So I got a GoPro for Christmas from Santa and I wanted to use it as a Dash Cam for traffic or offroading. I have the 67d Rail so immediately I went to 67d and looked up the GoPro mount. The 67d GoPro mount which attaches directly to a 20mm ball that comes with the rail edition was sold out so I decided to fashion my own.
Nice! I have the 67d GoPro mount, but I really like your idea of a magnetic mount. Well done.
Sponsored