67 Designs RAIL now available for the JL

jz19

First Name
JZ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sahara JLU in Bikini
Hey guys - I'm looking at the 67 Designs rail system and have a question - i have an old scosche mag mount that looks like it has a ball system on the back of the mount. It's this one: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/scosch...V8ZFbCh19ug_DEAQYAiABEgKqS_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Any idea if the 20mm ball will work with this mount? I just checked, and it is detachable, but I can't find any info on the ball size.

I'm asking, as I'm thinking of rigging up a GoPro mount with it and would prefer to not shell out the dough for all the extra parts through 67.
Sponsored

jz19

First Name
JZ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sahara JLU in Bikini
Second question - has anyone used the elbow to lower an iPhone Xs (or similar sized phone)? If so, what size carbon arm do you recommend? I don't want to interfere with the vents and 8.4" screen, but I do want to get it low enough to not block some of the visibility through the window.

aburrows1989

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Here's a much less expensive way to do the same thing - Ram-Mounts Uses screws under the rubber coin holder.
jl01.jpg
jl02.jpg
jl03.jpg
What is the bracket piece that is attached to the dash?

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
My 67 mount arrived today, what a nice piece of kit! Waiting for the Jeepuniq Cobra CB ball mount for the Uniden and will pair with a CoolTech CB mount to hold the mic for the Midland GMRS.

sheram

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU RUBICON
Occupation
Retired

Sponsored

sheram

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU RUBICON
Occupation
Retired
Here is the ball and bracket from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012TRIXU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They have been on there almost a year, cross country, many trails in Moab and others and no issues at all.
It's an easy installation. I used the existing screws. Pull up the rubber coin holder and you'll see screws on either side. I cut a small slit in the rubber coin holder and secured the Ram bracket and ball with the existing screws. I don't think it is necessary, because it fits snug, but I put a small bit of JB weld on the ball bracket where it touches on the back. It has held my GPS on one side and multiple things on the Right side like my Garmin InReach without any issues.

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
So I got a GoPro for Christmas from Santa and I wanted to use it as a Dash Cam for traffic or offroading. I have the 67d Rail so immediately I went to 67d and looked up the GoPro mount. The 67d GoPro mount which attaches directly to a 20mm ball that comes with the rail edition was sold out so I decided to fashion my own.

Parts you need
An available 20mm Ball that attaches to the rail
Carbon Fiber Arm - Nano
The business end of the 67d MagMount (the magnetic peice)
A generic GoPro base
A peice of metal that can stick to the GoPro base

To me, this is a better mount than than using the GoPro mount from 67d. That requires you to attach/detach it to the ball or the GoPro base every time which is kind of a pain. I have a soft top so if someone sees my GoPro and wants it, they are definitely going to grab it so it makes sense more for a magnetic mount that you can just grab it and take it with you where ever you go.

IMG_5472.JPG
IMG_2460.JPG
IMG_6926.JPG
IMG_3302.JPG

View attachment 125232
I had bookmarked your idea when it was posted. Finally got around to copying it this year after some other failures. The only changes I made were to purchase an official GoPro circular mount (2-1/8" dia) and a fender washer (1-31/32" dia) from my local Tractor Supply Co.. Had to trim a little of the installed adhesive off to match the diameter of the washer ... trimmed after installing the washer. Took it trail riding yesterday ... solid as a rock. With the extra mass of the fender washer, I think it'll never come off on the trail. Plus, like you said, I can still grab it off the mount and hand hold it to shoot other view points.

Now I need to cobble up a handheld handle with a magnetic mount on it to make a handheld mount for the GoPro when it's removed from the 67 Designs mount.

Thanks for the idea.

20200112_175909.jpg
20200112_175915.jpg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Adding a photo of my current setup. I just ordered two arms and .20 mounting balls to hold an IPad mini and a Garmin in-reach mini.

5D588D43-F6DA-4CBD-B3CE-2CB154A3017C.jpeg

EA50F49D-0F71-4DB7-958D-4AE972581A8E.jpeg
Sponsored