Sponsored

67 Designs Phone Mount Review

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
oIIIIIIo 2022 Jeep JL 392 1972 VW Beetle
I have been using the 67 Designs JL mount for a little over a month and I wanted to share my initial impressions. This was my Christmas present from my family after we ordered our Jeep 392, as we waited months.. and months😴 for our Jeep to arrive. I wasn't sure which mount I would prefer so we ordered both:
  • JL Rail (series 55)
  • 20mm track ball
  • Small matte finish carbon fiber arm (164mm / 6.5" is the perfect length!)
  • Universal G2 Phone Holder
  • MagMount G3 Phone Holder
It was defiantly kinda pricey but I am very impressed with the overall fit and finish. Every part is precisely made with high quality components. For example they use 3M VHB adhesive pads custom cut to perfectly match the base and maximize the adhesive contact area. The Universal G2 phone holder is made in the USA with probably the strongest "trail rated" spring mechanism I have ever used, it is never ever going to drop your phone on the floor. Each rail is individually serial numbered and they fit perfectly in the dash. I ended up just using the VHB adhesive pads and the two existing dash screws to secure it, it has an extra set of holes if you want to screw directly into the dash but it didn't seem necessary to hold one iPhone and I didn't want to tear up the dash so I didn't use them. I trimmed the existing dash pad to fit under the rail (I ordered a spare pad if I ever want to go back to stock later Mopar# 6AB17TX7AA about $10). I like the rail T-slot design because once you secure the base to the dash there is no need to remove it since the ball mounts just slide off the end and are infinitely adjustable along the length of the track rail.
Jeep Wrangler JL 67 Designs Phone Mount Review IMG_2651

Jeep Wrangler JL 67 Designs Phone Mount Review IMG_2645

Jeep Wrangler JL 67 Designs Phone Mount Review IMG_2647

Jeep Wrangler JL 67 Designs Phone Mount Review IMG_2653

After having used both the Universal and Magnetic holders, I found that I prefer the Magnetic G3 mount for every day ease of use. The Universal G2 mount is very secure and more for trail use IMHO.
Jeep Wrangler JL 67 Designs Phone Mount Review Screen Shot 2022-04-01 at 12.20.27 AM

I doubled up the included steel plates on the back of my iPhone for a better magnetic lock through my Speck phone case (I really miss my Magpul iPhone case but they don't make one for the iPhone 12 😟, so the Speck case will have to do.) . They also include a set of 2 curved steel plates if you want to keep the coil area clear to use MagSafe/Qi chargers. It would be cool if they could integrate charging into the device holder, maybe someday.
Jeep Wrangler JL 67 Designs Phone Mount Review IMG_6508.JPG

I was originally excited about trying out Apple CarPlay, but unfortunately CarPlay it is not wirelessly integrated in the Wrangler. So I bought the OTTOCAST wireless CarPlay adapter and tried it out. CarPlay looks cool but there is one major flaw. I use the moving map screen on my phone all the time when navigating, scrolling up ahead to watch for traffic delays and speed traps, zooming out to see the overall route. While both Apple and Google Maps work seamlessly in CarPlay, when you connect to CarPlay the iPhone screen is locked into the turn by turn list, the moving map function is completely disabled on the phone. I get it, they want you to use the Map on the Jeep display but the iPhone moving map is so much better, faster, and easier to use. Since the only real map screen you get is the Jeep screen (which is not nearly as useful) that was a deal breaker. So I returned the OTTOCAST and now I am using the integrated BlueTooth which is actually much more reliable than the OTTOCAST ever was. You can silence the turn by turn prompts in Google Maps which is nice. I tend to leave the Jeep display on Media and the iPhone on Maps when navigating.
Jeep Wrangler JL 67 Designs Phone Mount Review Screen Shot 2022-04-01 at 12.34.09 AM

Indecently I tested BlueTooth vs Wireless CarPlay with the OTTOCAST adapter vs. regular wired CarPlay for audio quality. I found that BlueTooth and Wireless CarPlay sound about the same to me, only the regular wired CarPlay sounds any better. But I’m not an Audiophile and this is a Jeep, so I may be totally wrong. 🤣
Jeep Wrangler JL 67 Designs Phone Mount Review Screen Shot 2022-04-03 at 2.44.41 AM

I also looked at the Bulletpoint RubiGrid but I preferred the function of the 67 Designs T-Slot rail system. Also I noticed that Bulletpoint is "Designed in Ohio, made in China" while every single component I purchased from 67 Designs was Made in the USA, and that matters to me. I was happy to find a company that is designing and making world class quality gear right here in the USA. The 67 designs mount is working out great and I figure this might help someone out. ✌ 😉
Sponsored

Last edited:

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
I agree 100%. The 67 Designs phone mount is a great product. I use the G2 mount for my Samsung android phone.

In addition to the phone mount I have a tablet mount from Joby & an accessory mount for my Garmin InReach.

I am also using the 67 Designs CF arms, 20mm ball mounts & the Series 55 rail.

Jeep Wrangler JL 67 Designs Phone Mount Review Mounts 02

Jeep Wrangler JL 67 Designs Phone Mount Review Mounts 05

Jeep Wrangler JL 67 Designs Phone Mount Review Mounts 09

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
I agree 100%. The 67 Designs phone mount is a great product. I use the G2 mount for my Samsung android phone.

In addition to the phone mount I have a tablet mount from Joby & an accessory mount for my Garmin InReach.

I am also using the 67 Designs CF arms, 20mm ball mounts & the Series 55 rail.

Me too. The 67 Designs stuff is well made. It’s expensive, and I found the bundling a bit inconvenient and confusing, so I looked for an equivalent alternatives for our Raptor. I found Bulletpoint, installed it in the Raptor, and have used it for the last year. It’s similar quality and design, American-made, and less expensive.

2850742E-62AE-437C-850D-DD0E65D75B0D.png

Sponsored

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
. . . realizing each day–
Thank you @Turboencabulator for all the detail and photos: 67Designs series 55 suits our trips and driving habits well, also. The iPhone mini doesn't fit the G2, though is rock solid on the G3 mount. Trails and roads I have yet to drop the mini.

Jeep Wrangler JL 67 Designs Phone Mount Review 9645DFB7-20C0-494A-A92F-AD7D6EF00E60

I also have an iPad pro 12.3 and use 67Designs custom bracket., (do not use while driving ;|) When I am alone it is mounted on CMM's passenger grab bar ball mount and 67Designs arm. With the passenger airbag disabled this works well on my solo trips for using Gaia and OnX mapping apps. I too do not care for carplay and use the 8.4 for media or gauges while the iPad is my navigator when solo—

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I just got the 67 Designs mount as well. I went back and forth between 67 and Bulletpoint. The thing that made me go with 67 is the phone mount. The 67 mount is universal for large and small phones and with Bulletpoint you need a different mount for larger phones such as iPhone Max Pro. Since we have multiple size phones in our house I wanted one solution that work for everyone.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Bulletpoint is not made in USA like 67d is. And IMHO, Bulletpoint directly ripped off a lot of 67d's designs.
I saw the below and translated it, apparently incorrectly, as being US-made. If they are actually Chinese made I‘m discouraged and stand corrected.

As for the design rip-off from 67 Designs, that seems less fair. From my perspective they both ripped off RAM by copying every aspect of the ball/arm/grip/component design. It’s hard to argue 67Designs has some high moral ground on design and innovation.

BF8D2415-2640-407A-905C-4EF8A8EF9C63.png

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
I saw the below and translated it, apparently incorrectly, as being US-made. If they are actually Chinese made I‘m discouraged and stand corrected.

As for the design rip-off from 67 Designs, that seems less fair. From my perspective they both ripped off RAM by copying every aspect of the ball/arm/grip/component design. It’s hard to argue 67Designs has some high moral ground on design and innovation.
I bought one item from them, and also thought it was made in USA, but nope.

Jeep Wrangler JL 67 Designs Phone Mount Review IMG_0792

Jeep Wrangler JL 67 Designs Phone Mount Review IMG_0793

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Bulletpoint is not made in USA like 67d is. And IMHO, Bulletpoint directly ripped off a lot of 67d's designs.
I believe 67 design is in the process of legal action against Bulletpoint.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
I have run the 67 Design products for about 5 years in my JLUR. They hold my tablet, iPhone and GoPro with zero issues. It now also holds my Wolfbox G900 dash cam. I have met the folks from 67 Design at Overland Expo and they are passion and nice people. The kind I like to support.

Jeep Wrangler JL 67 Designs Phone Mount Review 1712060538423-4m

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I have run the 67 Design products for about 5 years in my JLUR. They hold my tablet, iPhone and GoPro with zero issues. It now also holds my Wolfbox G900 dash cam. I have met the folks from 67 Design at Overland Expo and they are passion and nice people. The kind I like to support.

Agreed. I transferred mine from my first rig into my current. It's held up well and keeps everything stationary.

I cringe when someone posts about installing something that clips into the vents, but maybe they don't take their Jeeps off road so it doesn't matter?

vaJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon

This setup looks great - what tablet are you using/are you pre downloading the maps ?

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
This setup looks great - what tablet are you using/are you pre downloading the maps ?
I don't really use the tablet that much anymore as Apple CarPlay will display, Google maps,Gaia and OnX on the radio screen. I do download maps. ..... Often. I also don't run a Gopro any more as I run a Wolfbox G-900 dash camp that is always running and take awesome pictures. super easy. I mounted the dash cam to a 67 Design arm. The dash cam also has a rear facing camera that takes awesome pics and videos.

Look here for that

My review of the Wolfbox G900 Dash Cam
Sponsored