Sponsored

60 year old Newbie question

randy131516

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV4
Haven't look at Wranglers in 5+ years. But what is the difference between JL and JK models? Google isn't helping me much.
Sponsored

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
Main thing to know is that the JL is an improvement over the out-going JK. Too much to list but looking through this forum will give you all the information you need. Going to Jeep.com or youtube doesn't hurt either.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Incremental engine update, new transmission (auto and manual), new safety features (standard side airbags and backup camera, optional sensors), better headlights (LED optional, but even standard halogens are brighter), better interior (lumbar support added for driver, rear seats not so vertical), better on road handling, fancier electronics (radio, push button start, optionalnprocimity entry).

OP
OP

randy131516

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV4
Only thing Jeep.com lists are Wrangler and Wrangler JK. Am I to understand Wrangler __ is the same thing as Wrangler JL?

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Only thing Jeep.com lists are Wrangler and Wrangler JK. Am I to understand Wrangler __ is the same thing as Wrangler JL?
both are the same as in Jeep Wranglers but the JK / JL is a model year designation. JK model was released in 2007 and ran through 2018. The JL is the new redesigned model and this year 2018 is the first release with many updates.

Both Jeep Wranglers. It is the same as before with the CJ to the YJ to the TJ models. All Wranglers.

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Yes. JK will likely be taken off their website once stock is sold - production has stopped (or will stop this month).

“All new Wrangler” is the JL on the website.

OP
OP

randy131516

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV4
Okay, got it. I should look at Wrangler (JL) versus Wrangler JK. JL being the incoming model and JK the outgoing model.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Okay, got it. I should look at Wrangler (JL) versus Wrangler JK. JL being the incoming model and JK the outgoing model.
Correct, just search for JK vs JL and you will see all of the improvements they have made between the two models.

OP
OP

randy131516

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV4
You'd think it'd be that easy. I entered "difference between JK and JL" and got either Jeep.com or a bunch of Jeep dealers. And this forum. Thanks for your help, everyone. A wealth of knowledge.

Sponsored

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You'd think it'd be that easy. I entered "difference between JK and JL" and got either Jeep.com or a bunch of Jeep dealers. And this forum. Thanks for your help, everyone. A wealth of knowledge.
go to www.youtube.com and search there. More than one video that goes over many of the differences. This is better than reading about it and you will get a side by side view on some of them.

vintage38

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner Trd Pro, Indian Chieftain, Indian Springfield
Haven't look at Wranglers in 5+ years. But what is the difference between JL and JK models? Google isn't helping me much.
I think you'll be much happier with the new design JL. From all the reviews that I have read it is a all around nicer vehicle. You might also want to Google 2018 Wrangler JL review. It was very helpful in my decision to go with the new JL model. Happy trails.

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
JL is 2” wider than JK, too, but reading this forum it doesn’t sound like people feel there’s more room width-wise.

RubICON1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992,2011,2014,2022 RubICON
Incremental engine update, new transmission (auto and manual), new safety features (standard side airbags and backup camera, optional sensors), better headlights (LED optional, but even standard halogens are brighter), better interior (lumbar support added for driver, rear seats not so vertical), better on road handling, fancier electronics (radio, push button start, optionalnprocimity entry).
True. True. Seats are light years ahead of my '14 JK. Freaking Back Saver!