Sponsored

6-speed with 37’s (how bad for a few months?) Update: now with 39's!

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
All the pros I have talked too say the depth gauge is pretty much worthless. Even if you're setting up a bare axle there's plenty of good info out there about a good starting point.
True. If you can decode the markings on the gear sets you can get it pretty close first try. You just need the cheat sheet for the brand of gears coming out and going in.
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
True. If you can decode the markings on the gear sets you can get it pretty close first try. You just need the cheat sheet for the brand of gears coming out and going in.
That and you’re still likely going to need to fine-tune pinion depth so you don’t really save any time using the tool. I talked to 5 or 6 guys who do nothing but gears for a living, none of them use one. A few of them own one but said it just collects dust.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Some Random Guy

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Circling back now. I'm still at stock 4.10's on KM3 39's with the 6 speed manual. It is fine driving around, and surprisingly ok on the trail. I basically have a 5 speed now. I only see 4th on 50 mph 2-lane highways, and only see 5th on the interstate. I was able to hold 6th long enough to re-learn the tire size after a reprogram, but I wouldn't use it any other time. I think I was doing over 80 mph.
Launching is actually smoother now. Super easy to do a 1300 or 1400 takeoff in 1st, nice and easy. I can tell I lost a bit of a buffer on the trail when trying to ease over an obstacle in 1st with no throttle. I have the 5.13's scheduled for next week. But if anyone is considering not re-gearing or running big tires for a while without the regear, the rubicon gearing actually does do fine. I don't think I lost much enjoyment, but I know it will bother me long term so I'm still doing the regear. Plus, if I snap anything in the ring/pinion I have plans to jump to Currie 60's.
Sponsored