Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
This is not the same amount of debris as my diffs swapped at 7k miles. I've been performing my own maintenance for 20 years and am a former mechanic. I plan to change it again in 1000 miles to see if the particulate is reduced.

upload_2020-3-20_12-7-44.png
Sponsored

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
Lucky me! I also got a recall notice. About to move to Az and no openings to get in before. At least I already have a fire extinguisher

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
I would venture to say the chances of things happening to this extreme are low! I have only heard of 2 cases of this happening, Although there may be more that we haven't heard about! Mine is a DD and I will continue to use it as I always would. When and if anything happens ...I know to jump out of the Jeep! That is if I'm not engulfed in flames!!!!
Whats a "DD"?

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Im on the list, awesome.

from my little knowledge, wouldn’t they almost need to redesign the transmission? Fixing just a few parts inside of it doesn’t seem like a true fix
Its actually not the transmission but the pressure plate that's inside the bellhousing the transmission attaches to.

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

iklln6

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
For all tl;dr here's some interesting things on the NHTSA Recall (20V-124):
• The clutch plate reached 1,100°C
• As of 20 Feb 2020, FCA was aware of 71 combined computerized accident incident reports, field reports and warranty claims, and 1 minor injury related to the issue (that doesn't mean they know all cases)
• 33,237 vehicles 'potentially' involved (29,818 JLs produced 23AUG2017-13FEB2020, 3,419 JTs produced 21DEC2018-20FEB2020)
• "Estimated percentage with defect: 1%"
• "Description of remedy program:
FCA US will conduct a voluntary safety recall on affected vehicles to reroute a wire harness and inspect the clutch system, and replace components as needed"
• FCA plans to notify dealers and owners on 22APR2020

Here is a link to the more elaborate version of the recall:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCLRPT-20V124-7170.PDF

here's a link to look up recall by your VIN:
https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls/search.html

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
They're all affected. EVERY SINGLE MANUAL TRANS on the JL's. :angry:
No, only 1% of the total of JLs are actually affected. The testing to destruction said the pressure plate could reach a temperature of 1100°F before coming apart. The defective units were found by inspection of batch numbers associated with build dates for the pressure plates ..

LunchBoxFab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
No, only 1% of the total of JLs are actually affected. The testing to destruction said the pressure plate could reach a temperature of 1100°F before coming apart. The defective units were found by inspection of batch numbers associated with build dates for the pressure plates ..
thats good info - is that 1% of total production, or 1% of manuals produced?

they are definitely bringing all the manuals in for a look...
The recall population includes all 2018-2020 MY Jeep Wrangler vehicles equipped with a manual transmission. The suspect period began on August 23, 2017 when 2018 MY production of vehicles with a manual transmission began, and was concluded on February 13, 2020. The suspect vehicle population was determined using vehicle production records. Similar vehicles not included in the recall are not equipped with manual transmissions. The total affected vehicles for this model is 29,818.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Every manual trans JL has been recalled for inspection.

kcn2vb

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue JLUR
With all the plants shut down and so many people across the country having to work at home does anyone think a fix is coming in April? I'm trying to buy one, was originally ordering but I think I'll need it before the plants are up and running again plus the 6 or so weeks to finish the build. Now the stop sell also keeps me from buying off the lot. So, can't order, can't buy from lot, yet there's how many thousand already driving around with this potential issue...

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Every manual trans JL has been recalled for inspection.
You cant truly inspect the pressure plate or clutch disc without removing the transmission & bell housing. Re-routing of wiring doesnt make sense, there must be re-routing of fuel lines as severed wires arent going to start the types of fires were looking at. If the clutch/pressure plate is reaching 1,100 degrees F before failure I cant see how the driver (or passengers) didnt notice any issues as it would be slipping like cazy thus smelling like burning friction material.
Sponsored