6-Speed Manual Transmission no longer available, until fixed

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
You cant truly inspect the pressure plate or clutch disc without removing the transmission & bell housing. Re-routing of wiring doesnt make sense, there must be re-routing of fuel lines as severed wires arent going to start the types of fires were looking at. If the clutch/pressure plate is reaching 1,100 degrees F before failure I cant see how the driver (or passengers) didnt notice any issues as it would be slipping like cazy thus smelling like burning friction material.
Actually it says 1100 Celsius which is 2012 degrees Fahrenheit! Crazy
Sponsored

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Something about cryogenics
Anyone else seen this on the recall? Sounds like bleeding the MC might be all we’re waiting for?

If it’s true, then why would FCA issue a stop-sale for this?
56E471AC-D884-47FF-86CB-966B3A82BB57.jpeg

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
Air in the system? That feels like a stretch....
Air in the line would contribute to shifting issues, once the trans was in gear the pressure plate would hold the clutch disc firmly against the flywheel thus no slippage unless there was a disc or pressure plate issue. IE the hydraulic system is simply there to make the clutch operation easier for the driver.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Air in the line would contribute to shifting issues, once the trans was in gear the pressure plate would hold the clutch disc firmly against the flywheel thus no slippage unless there was a disc or pressure plate issue. IE the hydraulic system is simply there to make the clutch operation easier for the driver.
Rrriiiggghhhtttt.....and the ultimate issue is clutches overheating and causing fires or fragging and exploding bellhousings.

So I'd still have to say it's unlikely air in the lines is causing these symptoms. AFAIK no one is reporting difficulties shifting or grinding, so that suggests the hydraulic system is doing its job

jpb

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Soon 2019 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
Anyone know when they will be selling manuals again?

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone know when they will be selling manuals again?
I could be wrong JP but I was under the impression that you can order Manual Transmissions again. I don't see why not when they can just install the heavier pressure plate while building new Jeeps.

OP
OP
sstuner

sstuner

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I guess, until the fix is in "manual" Jeeps will be unavailable. I heard that FCA factory is returning back to work but at minimal manning.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Yea I doubt Jeep is going to go long without offering the manual trans. Although most sales are automatics there are folks out there including myself that love stick. I think it would be a critical mistake by FCA with the Ford Bronco right around the block.

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I just went on the Jeep website and used the “build your vehicle” tab.
I built a 2020 Sahara with all the bells and whistles same as my 2019.
The manual transmission was still standard and was not unavailable.
The best was, I guess because of this flailing economy, the 2020 was more than 5000 dollars less than my 2019.

t0mills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
Not sure if it matters, but I bought my 2020 JLR 6spd last month at a dealership. In fact, I didn't even find out about the recall until a week or so after the fact (recall was issued before I purchased the jeep).
Hasn't been a problem and I love the jeep and the 6spd.

Bmwalfaone

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara North Edition, 2019 Honda Pilot EXL, 2018 Thor ACE 30.2, 2012 Toyota Tundra SR5 TRD, 2007 Honda Element EX, 2005 Chevrolet Corvette, 2001 Honda S2000, 2007 Honda Reflex, 2006 Suzuki V Strom 1000, 1996 Suzuki DR650SE, 1990 Honda VFR750F, 1989 Honda NT650
Sure glad that I opted for the Turbo/Automatic. I originally had my heart set on a manual V6 but preferred the "slush box" once I drove them both.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if it matters, but I bought my 2020 JLR 6spd last month at a dealership. In fact, I didn't even find out about the recall until a week or so after the fact (recall was issued before I purchased the jeep).
Hasn't been a problem and I love the jeep and the 6spd.
I'tll likely be just fine. I'm at 30k now and it drives and feels great. I towed my boat last week and again, felt fine. I'll get the recall done when the parts come in, but no regrets at all with the manual. I'd buy it again today if I were buying another Jeep. This Jeep has been amazing the first two years of ownership. I couldn't be happier with it.
Sponsored