focofourxfour

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLUW
hey guys,
i just picked up my 6 speed wrangler yesterday and noticed that the shifter seems to be crunchy when shifting into some of the lower range gears. it is almost as if i have to really shove it into gear instead of it gliding into gears like other manuals i have driven. do i just need to break it in or is this just the way jeeps 6 speed is? thanks
Sponsored

toothirtyj

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Hellayella JL Willys, 3.6L/6MT, 4.10's
Occupation
LE
The only thing about your Jeep's manual transmission shifter, that you may not be used to, is that the gear changes are actuated by cable instead of solid rod. However, the shift feel in my transmission is no different than any of the other MT's I've driven in the past. I would describe mine as crisp, and basically effortless.

If I slowly and deliberately move the shifter through the gear pattern, keeping it in the neutral area and never fully putting it into any gear, I can kind of feel (what I think is) the shifter cable(s) sliding through their sheaths. It certainly isn't crunchy and there was no break-in for the shifter. It has been consistent, and good, since I bought it new in August 2021.

If you have experience with MT's and think there's an issue with your Jeep's, then there probably is.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
hey guys,
i just picked up my 6 speed wrangler yesterday and noticed that the shifter seems to be crunchy when shifting into some of the lower range gears. it is almost as if i have to really shove it into gear instead of it gliding into gears like other manuals i have driven. do i just need to break it in or is this just the way jeeps 6 speed is? thanks
Cable shifter, no break-in. I can shift with 1 finger. Bring it back.

NJJeep Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Yella JLU
Mine was smooth and easy from day one. Something is not proper and make Jeep figure out what.

OP
OP
focofourxfour

focofourxfour

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLUW
The only thing about your Jeep's manual transmission shifter, that you may not be used to, is that the gear changes are actuated by cable instead of solid rod. However, the shift feel in my transmission is no different than any of the other MT's I've driven in the past. I would describe mine as crisp, and basically effortless.

If I slowly and deliberately move the shifter through the gear pattern, keeping it in the neutral area and never fully putting it into any gear, I can kind of feel (what I think is) the shifter cable(s) sliding through their sheaths. It certainly isn't crunchy and there was no break-in for the shifter. It has been consistent, and good, since I bought it new in August 2021.

If you have experience with MT's and think there's an issue with your Jeep's, then there probably is.
i think this is a good way to describe it. crunchy might not have been the best word choice. it feels how you’re describing it but it is by no means hard to shift. I am also used to a slotted shifter from a sports car so it could just be my lack of coordination after relying on it to glide into gear for years

Sponsored

Brendon

First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr Willys 2020 GMC Denali 2500 HD
Vehicle Showcase
No "crunch" for me!

mayoJames

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
hey guys,
I had this same problem, it developed into a hard grind due to a bad synchro in 2nd. I have a whole new transmission coming under warranty.

mayoJames

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
additional info: my jeep did not come from the factory feeling crunchy it developed over time

mark203

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Willys XR
Clubs

Agree with others - get it checked out. Mine was one of the smoothest shifting manuals I have driven.
Sponsored