Sponsored

6 speed manual and TBW

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Any of you 6-speed drivers notice RPM not immediately dropping when shifting, especially with hard acceleration? I'm assuming there's a problem with my TBW but wanted to see if I'm alone here. When I'm really on the throttle and shifting at higher RPM, my RPM doesn't immediately drop when I let off the gas, almost like it's sticking for a second. Anyone else notice anything like this?
Sponsored

LeoTheDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
When you say the RPM doesn't drop when you let off the gas, do you mean before pressing in the clutch pedal or after?

And are you looking at the tach or are you listening to the engine physically not dropping RPM (by sound) or feeling like you've stopped accelerating? I ask because there may just be a slight delay in the tach even though throttle is actually being cut.

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Any of you 6-speed drivers notice RPM not immediately dropping when shifting, especially with hard acceleration? I'm assuming there's a problem with my TBW but wanted to see if I'm alone here. When I'm really on the throttle and shifting at higher RPM, my RPM doesn't immediately drop when I let off the gas, almost like it's sticking for a second. Anyone else notice anything like this?
Yes, mine does it too. At WOT and high RPM (maybe > 4,000?) the engine does not spin down like at lower RPM and/or lower throttle when I push the clutch in to shift gears (6 speed manual).

OP
OP

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
When you say the RPM doesn't drop when you let off the gas, do you mean before pressing in the clutch pedal or after?

And are you looking at the tach or are you listening to the engine physically not dropping RPM (by sound) or feeling like you've stopped accelerating? I ask because there may just be a slight delay in the tach even though throttle is actually being cut.
No it's definitely not a tach delay thing. It's very much different than any manual I've ever driven. You can hear and feel it. The tach actually appears to be very accurate.

OP
OP

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Yes, mine does it too. At WOT and high RPM (maybe > 4,000?) the engine does not spin down like at lower RPM and/or lower throttle when I push the clutch in to shift gears (6 speed manual).
Interesting. At first I thought it might be holding a second or 2 to sync with the next gear, but the more I drive it the more I'm not so sure. If that's the intention it doesn't seem like it's implemented very well.

Sponsored

Djmatt85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I have driven manuals my whole life and this is the first I’ve seen do it. I’ve gotten used to it but still don’t like how the RPMs hang. But whatevs, maybe one day a tuner can be used to get rid of that.

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
This is an issue I've been complaining since auto manufacturers switched from the good old cable to drive by wire technology.
I noticed it for the first time on my 05 MT Xterra.
Now I have an auto tranny but it stills bother me 'cause I can't control the Jeep with just the throttle when in 4-lo.

OP
OP

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Interesting. So I guess it is designed this way. It's not a huge deal and something I can learn to live with, but just didn't seem right to me. I have TBW on my Harley and it has very quick response with no hang.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
This has been discussed in another thread that I’m too lazy to find for you. Consensus was that it’s normal, and intentional (helps with emissions somehow).

OP
OP

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
This has been discussed in another thread that I’m too lazy to find for you. Consensus was that it’s normal, and intentional (helps with emissions somehow).
Ah. I'll have to go searching.

Sponsored

TRJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jl Rubicon
Throttle by wire, not throttle cable, computer is telling throttle what to do, possibly for emissions

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
There are so many weird things about the OEM tune on this manual, it’s unbelievable. A good, quality tuner (not tuning device) could make a killing.
Sponsored