6 months in the shop what would you do.

SargeRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Hey guys instead of posting to my old thread I started a new one. Some of you may be sick of me by now but I ask for your patience because you would be frustrated too if this was you. Ive had an oil leak for most of my ownership( discovered at 6K miles currently with 9800 miles). My Jeep has spent almost 6 month off an on ( 4 months, 1 months and close to 1 month again now) in the first year.

Ive had the oil cooler/filter housing replaced ( 4 month wait) then the left timing chain cover. Ive had a STAR case twice with JEEP case manager following. Its currently at the shop ( 1 month now) and they are replacing the oil cooler again. They are working with a team of engineers. Im hearing that the gasket that goes in between the cooler may not have been changed last time even though they told me specifically they changed it and its on my work order. My case is now being handled by Jeep customer retention.

I dont know what to believe from what they tell me. I cant believe that the oil cooler has to be replaced twice on a new car. They have used dye and have a diesel tech working on it.

I have a few mods on the car and a garage full waiting to go on. Ive opted for them to fix it but dont believe they can or if they do that it will be reliable since its been messed with so many times.

What would you do?

If its fixed keep it or trade it in?
Wait till it leaks and ask for a buy back?
Get a buy back and get another model?Im considering trading it for a 392 because I dont want the 3.6, 2.0, or 4XE ( nothing against those).

The Ecodiesel has rubbed me the wrong way and I dont trust it. Im sick of the lack of part availability and no techs knowing how to work on it. I know this will only get worse and resale will likely not be good as I get passed the waranty period. If I factory order another it will be a long time and I have to convert my jeep back to stock and lose a few things I cant take off. Not sure how long the buy back process takes and if they will give me the full price of the Jeep.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

OP
OP

SargeRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
I would have them buy it back and change to something else, no need to make yourself suffer because of their incompetence. That vehicle is a lemon.
even though they are "fixing it" now? What if they give it back saying its fixed and I say buy it back? Im concerned they will say why did you make us fix it.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
even though they are "fixing it" now? What if they give it back saying its fixed and I say buy it back? Im concerned they will say why did you make us fix it.
If it’s really fixed again they should have no problem selling it. That was just my opinion, if you want to ride it out again you still have warranty time left.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Sorry to say it...move on. Get some good credit for the mods you've added, and remove all that you can.

Work on a great deal on a new jeep, and if that's a 392, well that's great.

Sponsored

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
If you want it lemon law buy back I’d find a lawyer who deals with that stuff. From my understanding they will pay the lawyer fees too. Doesn’t hurt to talk to one to find out the exact laws for your state. Even if you don’t use the lawyer for the buy back. I’d find it worth the small fee he might charge you to get legitimate advise.
And at this point I’d be looking for it to be bought back.

CJ SCION

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUD Hardtop, 2016 JK 2-door Ragtop
Occupation
Tired Again
Should you decide prior to knowing the results of the current service being done? What if the vehicle is 100% up to snuff when you get it home? There are many satisfied owners of the Wrangler diesel.

If issues arise after a number of miles, you may be better positioned to make a buy back move then. Planning now for various scenarios will make an easier decision then. Best of luck.

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Eco Diesel; 2014 JKU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
First things first, absolutely get a lemon law lawyer. The defendant (Chrysler) pays the fees so no out of pocket expenses on your part. the law firm does all the heavy lifting. you provide the maintenance records, service records, original contract, and registration to them and they do the rest. they will give you options. Do not tell the dealer you are pursuing the lemon law buy back! It is none of their business. They need to fix the jeep and also open a star case on the issue. It sucks but for the select few of us it is our only recourse at this point. I am in the same boat.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
My only question is why you waited so long to lemon the thing?

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Hey guys instead of posting to my old thread I started a new one. Some of you may be sick of me by now but I ask for your patience because you would be frustrated too if this was you. Ive had an oil leak for most of my ownership( discovered at 6K miles currently with 9800 miles). My Jeep has spent almost 6 month off an on ( 4 months, 1 months and close to 1 month again now) in the first year.

Ive had the oil cooler/filter housing replaced ( 4 month wait) then the left timing chain cover. Ive had a STAR case twice with JEEP case manager following. Its currently at the shop ( 1 month now) and they are replacing the oil cooler again. They are working with a team of engineers. Im hearing that the gasket that goes in between the cooler may not have been changed last time even though they told me specifically they changed it and its on my work order. My case is now being handled by Jeep customer retention.

I dont know what to believe from what they tell me. I cant believe that the oil cooler has to be replaced twice on a new car. They have used dye and have a diesel tech working on it.

I have a few mods on the car and a garage full waiting to go on. Ive opted for them to fix it but dont believe they can or if they do that it will be reliable since its been messed with so many times.

What would you do?

Get a buy back and get another model?Im considering trading it for a 392 because I dont want the 3.6, 2.0, or 4XE ( nothing against those).

The Ecodiesel has rubbed me the wrong way and I dont trust it. Im sick of the lack of part availability and no techs knowing how to work on it. I know this will only get worse and resale will likely not be good as I get passed the waranty period. If I factory order another it will be a long time and I have to convert my jeep back to stock and lose a few things I cant take off. Not sure how long the buy back process takes and if they will give me the full price of the Jeep.

Thoughts?
Life is way too short to put up with a machine driving you up a wall. Lemon law that POS and move on. If you want a Jeep there are plenty of other dealers out there who’d be happy to sell you one. Do not allow yourself to be losing sleep over a darn vehicle. I’ve owned vehicles I wasn’t happy with, I dumped them and moved on and I urge you to do the same. You get no extra points for being a martyr on this thing. Good luck my friend

Sponsored

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
My only question is why you waited so long to lemon the thing?
Agree, after the first month of the 4-month stint at the dealership I wouldve been asking for a buyback. Most lemon laws state if the vehicle is in for repair 30 days or more.

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
You don't necessarily need a lawyer for the buyback. Request it now and see if they will start the process. Also, social media is your friend. Make some posts about it and wanting it bought back and tag Jeep, stellantis, etc... That will get attention. I had a BMW lemon about 4 years ago and the buyback was painless, no lawyer involved, quick and simple. I have seen a few threads on here over the last few years with the same for Wrangler lemons.

Hpc3

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler(s)

What would you do?

Thoughts?
Read your state's lemon laws and have a lawyer write a letter of intent to lemon it. Chances are if its been there 30+ days out of useful service it will meet requirements for a replacement. It's time to quit playing with the dealership's service department, good intentions and all, and get a resolution plan in place. Granted this is not what you signed up for but sometimes service managers have to be prodded into getting process going.

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
I would say time to move on. Some good info in the posts here on going for a buy back.
Sponsored