6.4L Hemi Swap w/ + Manual Transmission info gathering/ discussion thread

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
The reason FCA went with auto, torque management. That's the only way to make the dana 44 hold it. You go to manual trans, no TM or hydro coupling ( torque converter. ) Bye Bye 44's.
I have the older 5.7 with auto in my TJ. I did go 60 in the rear. You can feel the Hemi give up the power at shift points ( T.M.) Newer stuff has much better timing, so you do not feel as much trim.
So, if you are going to 450-500 foot pound of torque.......... Dana 60's plus 1350 or bigger u-joints. Or keep it on the street.
This is why I put a 60 in the rear, I saw enough rear blown ring and pinions on bigger than 37 inch tires on MT Jeeps that I knew better than to roll the dice. The front i kept and it’s been fine I don’t go crazy when I’m wheeling I crawl it

Sponsored

XX4XEXX

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
The reason FCA went with auto, torque management. That's the only way to make the dana 44 hold it. You go to manual trans, no TM or hydro coupling ( torque converter. ) Bye Bye 44's.
I have the older 5.7 with auto in my TJ. I did go 60 in the rear. You can feel the Hemi give up the power at shift points ( T.M.) Newer stuff has much better timing, so you do not feel as much trim.
So, if you are going to 450-500 foot pound of torque.......... Dana 60's plus 1350 or bigger u-joints. Or keep it on the street.
My 2001 Anniversary edition had a Dana 44 for the rear axle and it was a 5-speed manual transmission. It was built over 22 years ago, but it the Dana 44 with a manual. Obviously it was the 4.0 straight 6 and not a 6.4 Hemi...

Last edited:
OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
It’s already being done, but you do you man. Why do you care?
Some people feel the need to shoot down legit ideas/ questions/ discussions of others to make themselves feel better and justify their own choices.

also: lack of reading comprehension, would be my guess as this was addressed in my initial post

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Some people feel the need to shoot down legit ideas/ questions/ discussions of others to make themselves feel better and justify their own choices.

also: lack of reading comprehension, would be my guess as this was addressed in my initial post
Or that people will figure out how to do anything if they put their mind to it.

rayzjeep

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
I'm doing this but not until the 3.6L dies...so it'll be a while. May be smart to do it in parts...first get the manual tranny in there and working...then swap the motor.

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I'm doing this but not until the 3.6L dies...so it'll be a while. May be smart to do it in parts...first get the manual tranny in there and working...then swap the motor.
Honestly, If I ever do this, I'm most likely just going to have AMW4x4 do it or something. Talked to a few people who have done V8 swaps on JK's and for the headaches and labor involved, the price tag is more than worth having it taken care of by professionals who can do it in a timely manner.

That said: If the price of a 392 made sense, I would also seriously consider swapping out my Jeep for a 392... but it would have to be orange. haha

rayzjeep

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Honestly, If I ever do this, I'm most likely just going to have AMW4x4 do it or something. Talked to a few people who have done V8 swaps on JK's and for the headaches and labor involved, the price tag is more than worth having it taken care of by professionals who can do it in a timely manner.

That said: If the price of a 392 made sense, I would also seriously consider swapping out my Jeep for a 392... but it would have to be orange. haha
I was actually thinking about making it a project me and my boys could do one day and if I had a pretty complete kit from Dakota or something I don't think it'd be all too hard. Of course it wouldn't save me any money...more doing for the experience I guess...but we'll see. These 392s keep dropping in price I may change my mind.

Jetpilot03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Anyone priced the TR 6060? I talked to Dakota and they are doing the swap with the factory manual transmission and CF clutch now. I personally think the factory AL6 is garbage, and I want something more reliable. Already had to replace it once. The AL6 is probably the cheapest option and keeps the factory shift set up, but i am done with the JL manual setup. They never should have changed from the JK. I'm looking at all manual options. G56, getrag, tremec...
Sponsored