6.4 HEMI in a 2 door JL?

ThatTXJeepGuy

First Name
allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW, Porsche, future wrangler owner
Anyone on here done a 6.4 HEMI swap on their 2 door JL? How’s the experience/reliability? Looking at possibly doing a swap on my 2 door JL. Enjoy having the smaller size but would be sweet to have a V8 in it instead of the four cylinder. Wonder if the 392 might have lead to some shops giving a better price on a doing a swap?
Sponsored

whiskey jack

First Name
marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jl
Dakota customs did a 2dr that was for sale on their website awhile back. Looks like its sold. You might need wheelie bars with that much power in a 2dr 😄 (and the wheelie bars will kill your departure angle.)

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
I guess no one ever “needs” a Hemi in any vehicle … but do you really need one in a 2 door? While mine is stock, the 3.6 really moves my 2 door, especially when it is just me and not loaded down. How fast do you really need to go?

I guess if you have lifted your Jeep and have bigger tires, you may have need for more power, but that is a lot of grunt for such a small ride.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I was hopeful Jeep would offer a factory 392 2-door when rumors starting circulating in earnest last year about a V8 Wrangler...I thought briefly about an engine swap but quickly decided the best option for me was to just improve the performance of my 3.6 (4.88's, Mopar CAI, Borla Touring cat-back & Edelbrock Supercharger) and call it a day for now...

I have only personally known three guys who have done (had done) engine swaps and all three turned out to be nightmares...Now there are a few high end shops who turn out quality products (America's Most Wanted 4x4, RubiTrux come to mind) but unless you have time, skills and patience for DIY-hell I am having a hard time finding time for mods as it is, lucky enough to have a top-flight shop local or willing to ship your rig to one of the few top shops-I would take a pass.

Best of luck if you do go the Hemi swap and please post pictures and review!

Last edited:

Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Dakota customs did a 2dr that was for sale on their website awhile back. Looks like its sold. You might need wheelie bars with that much power in a 2dr 😄 (and the wheelie bars will kill your departure angle.)
They also offer the hemi with a manual:rock:

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I had a 5.7 in my TJ. It was fun.
My 2 door JK has 1200 horse. It's pointless :)

Honestly, a 6.4 would be really fun in a 2 dr on 37's with a slightly stretched wheelbase and low COG (w/ proper shock setup). It's probably where the 'fun' meter is maximized. Once you start going supercharged etc you have a lot of other shit to deal with, especially in a two door.

- Low end torque
- Snappy throttle response
- Still easy to cool.
- No power adder so less to go wrong and deal with.
- Retains factory fuel system

The only negative on the 2 door is the gas tank size.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
I'm not familiar with Jeep engine swaps but I do know that any engine swap in a vehicle that did not come from the factory with it is going to to need a lot of future wrenching and repairs.

Fatboy97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Rubicon JL
I’m planning on keeping my 2 door JLR for a very long time. So if the day comes when it will need a new engine most likely it will be the 392 as its not really that much more than the 5.7

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I’m planning on keeping my 2 door JLR for a very long time. So if the day comes when it will need a new engine most likely it will be the 392 as its not really that much more than the 5.7
Agree there for sure — I have a core 6.4 sitting and waiting… may just build it into a 447 need to weigh pros cons. Plan is to create a 2 door LJ clone eventually.

Sponsored

gunny71

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2door stingray rubicon 2012 Jk 2door sport
I guess no one ever “needs” a Hemi in any vehicle … but do you really need one in a 2 door? While mine is stock, the 3.6 really moves my 2 door, especially when it is just me and not loaded down. How fast do you really need to go?

I guess if you have lifted your Jeep and have bigger tires, you may have need for more power, but that is a lot of grunt for such a small ride.
I hear ya, but if all I ever did in life was what I needed, life would be pretty damn boring.
Same reason I had a chevy s-10 with a 350 in it. Sometimes that little boy in me wants to feel the torque and smell the rubber.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I'm not familiar with Jeep engine swaps but I do know that any engine swap in a vehicle that did not come from the factory with it is going to to need a lot of future wrenching and repairs.
That's not necessarily true. Honda guys do it all the time with no adverse outcomes. It's all in the execution of the swap. When it's done right, it can be as painless and dependable as a factory build. I have every intention of Hemi swapping my 2 door...after it's paid for.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Unless I’m missing something the “tough” part to me would be getting the electronics sorted. Engine swap, now that “factory parts are available, “should” be a piece of cake. Getting the electronics sorted though is WAY above my skill set.

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
I drove a JK two door with a 6.4 Hemi in it, that had some alterations to it, such as a different tune that boosted horsepower into the mid 500s. It was done by Dakota Customs. They had brought the Jeep to Utah for a Magazine editor to drive and write a story on. The magazine editor just happened to be friend of mine, and we went four wheeling together frequently. He called me up and said "come on over and check this out". So I got to drive it for ten miles or so. It was an insanely fun vehicle to drive. I absolutely loved it, and that was the machine that convinced me to buy a 2012 JK with a 6.4 Hemi swap done to it. I actually bought mine from AEV, but the engine was the same. Mine was a JKUR though, and althought it was great fun, the 6.4 in a two door remains as the most impressive Jeep I have ever driven.
Sponsored