6.4 HEMI in a 2 door JL?

ThatTXJeepGuy

First Name
allen
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW, Porsche, future wrangler owner
Anyone on here done a 6.4 HEMI swap on their 2 door JL? How’s the experience/reliability? Looking at possibly doing a swap on my 2 door JL. Enjoy having the smaller size but would be sweet to have a V8 in it instead of the four cylinder. Wonder if the 392 might have lead to some shops giving a better price on a doing a swap?
Advertisement

whiskey jack

First Name
marty
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jl
Dakota customs did a 2dr that was for sale on their website awhile back. Looks like its sold. You might need wheelie bars with that much power in a 2dr 😄 (and the wheelie bars will kill your departure angle.)

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
I guess no one ever “needs” a Hemi in any vehicle … but do you really need one in a 2 door? While mine is stock, the 3.6 really moves my 2 door, especially when it is just me and not loaded down. How fast do you really need to go?

I guess if you have lifted your Jeep and have bigger tires, you may have need for more power, but that is a lot of grunt for such a small ride.

CorvZ061

First Name
Travis
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
I want to do a 5.7 in my 2dr. 392 would be cool, but the additional cost doesn't seem worth it to me.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2019 Ram Longhorn 4x4
I was hopeful Jeep would offer a factory 392 2-door when rumors starting circulating in earnest last year about a V8 Wrangler...I thought briefly about an engine swap but quickly decided the best option for me was to just improve the performance of my 3.6 (4.88's, Mopar CAI, Borla Touring cat-back & Edelbrock Supercharger) and call it a day for now...

I have only personally known three guys who have done (had done) engine swaps and all three turned out to be nightmares...Now there are a few high end shops who turn out quality products (America's Most Wanted 4x4, RubiTrux come to mind) but unless you have time, skills and patience for DIY-hell I am having a hard time finding time for mods as it is, lucky enough to have a top-flight shop local or willing to ship your rig to one of the few top shops-I would take a pass.

Best of luck if you do go the Hemi swap and please post pictures and review!

Last edited:

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Rubicon JL 6 Speed
Dakota customs did a 2dr that was for sale on their website awhile back. Looks like its sold. You might need wheelie bars with that much power in a 2dr 😄 (and the wheelie bars will kill your departure angle.)
They also offer the hemi with a manual:rock:

guarnibl

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I had a 5.7 in my TJ. It was fun.
My 2 door JK has 1200 horse. It's pointless :)

Honestly, a 6.4 would be really fun in a 2 dr on 37's with a slightly stretched wheelbase and low COG (w/ proper shock setup). It's probably where the 'fun' meter is maximized. Once you start going supercharged etc you have a lot of other shit to deal with, especially in a two door.

- Low end torque
- Snappy throttle response
- Still easy to cool.
- No power adder so less to go wrong and deal with.
- Retains factory fuel system

The only negative on the 2 door is the gas tank size.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
I'm not familiar with Jeep engine swaps but I do know that any engine swap in a vehicle that did not come from the factory with it is going to to need a lot of future wrenching and repairs.

Fatboy97

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Rubicon JL
I’m planning on keeping my 2 door JLR for a very long time. So if the day comes when it will need a new engine most likely it will be the 392 as its not really that much more than the 5.7

guarnibl

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I’m planning on keeping my 2 door JLR for a very long time. So if the day comes when it will need a new engine most likely it will be the 392 as its not really that much more than the 5.7
Agree there for sure — I have a core 6.4 sitting and waiting… may just build it into a 447 need to weigh pros cons. Plan is to create a 2 door LJ clone eventually.

Advertisement

D&C Designs

Advertisement