First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Why is it that all of the magazines and YouTube videos say that the diesel is an extra $6K when 90% of us order the automatic anyhow?
Sponsored

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Because there is a conspiracy against diesel technology.
I mean, that's kinda true.....

The elites would absolutely prefer to keep us all in mega cities, with our only means of transportation (if allowed to move at all) consisting of private or public electric vehicles).

I'm pretty sure they would destroy anyone who dared bring forth a fuel efficient, long lasting, diesel electric hybrid.

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Same people are preaching how ‘environmentally friendly’ EV’s are.
(I am Not against them just prefer to communicate in terms of reality vs. propoganda/feelings)

Sponsored

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon
I agree. I took it a few steps further when I ordered mine and skipped on the safety group and advanced safety group, $995 and $795. No tow package either, $795. I figure I got my EcoD for $1,415 over the 3.6 gasser.

RafterCExplorations

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon/Diesel, 1972 "CJ-5/buggy", 2003 V8 4Runner, 2008 Dodge/Cummins 3500 w/Four Wheel Pop Up camper, 1960 Chevrolet Apache C-10, 1939 Buick Special, Honda XR650R
Well all those responses were way better than mine..... But the short answer is that the diesel motor is an additional $4k, and the heavier duty trans is $2k more. But yes, since the gas auto costs an additional amount, then the $6k "premium" is a deceiving statement.

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was on Jeep’s build page yday and noticed they changed the prices for the diesel power plant to $4,500 and the auto to $1,500. Same $6k but moved the money around. Odd

UrbanCowboyAZ

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JLURD, ‘02 TJ
Occupation
Real Estate
I was on Jeep’s build page yday and noticed they changed the prices for the diesel power plant to $4,500 and the auto to $1,500. Same $6k but moved the money around. Odd
I believe that’s in an effort to sell more 2.0 motors for CAFE reasons. 2.0 is still the same price as 3.6, but now the auto trans is only $1,500 more than manual instead of $2,000. So anyone that buys a manual strictly to save outlay cost vs auto has slightly less incentive to do so. And once they decide that auto is ok, they can be pushed into the 2.0 for the same price.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Because standard is a 3.6 with manual, if you buy the diesel it is $6000 because you must buy the $4500 engine and the $1500 auto transmission, you have no choice but to spend $6000 to option the diesel.
I agree, but consider this:

When I bought my first JK, A/C was technically an option - although almost everyone opted for it. Today, automatic transmissions are almost at the same point. Post #1's point is that when critiquing the premium charged for a diesel, it's misleading to say that extra cost is $6,000. For 90%+ of the buyers it's $4,500.

Hell, I just came out of a 2-door JKR. Using the same logic, the cost of the diesel for me is closer to $10,000 because I wouldn't have opted for the 4-dr ($3,430 more expensive) unless it was mandatory.

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
I get your point and I guess it would more straight forward if those writing the articles would say it's a $6000 up charge because you must buy a $1500 automatic transmission with it.
They same logic could work if you look at the cost of a Diesel Sport vs a Diesel Rubicon...why do you need all those "options?"

If someone is looking to "justify" the Diesel engine to pay for itself over time it will take forever! I look at engines like I look at features. I get what I want and what I can afford. I happen to like diesels and wanted the torque it provides Offroad. Well worth the price!

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went with the diesel for the torque. I am happy, but of curiosity i did the payout on the mileage.
Based on how far we drive, cost of diesel v gasoline, 3.6 v 3.0 mileage it's gonna take nine years for it to equal out. I did not factor oil, oil filter or fuel filter prices. Did I say how much I love the torque?:)

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I went with the diesel for the torque. I am happy, but of curiosity i did the payout on the mileage.
Based on how far we drive, cost of diesel v gasoline, 3.6 v 3.0 mileage it's gonna take nine years for it to equal out. I did not factor oil, oil filter or fuel filter prices. Did I say how much I love the torque?:)
Same here. Went for torque too, and to resist the temptation to buy a more expensive 392 down the road.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Same here. Went for torque too, and to resist the temptation to buy a more expensive 392 down the road.
The 392 will definitely be torquier, but even if you didn't buy the 3.0 for the fuel economy, there's something to be said about getting (at least) twice the MPGs with just a smidge less low-end power.

I have a heavy foot, and if I had a 392, I'd never break out of the single digits. :)

I used to live at high elevation in the Rockies. It would be interesting to see how much the 392's power advantage shrinks at the Eisenhower Tunnel where the thin air will limit the 392's torque to just 315 lb-ft. The turbo diesel's output will suffer as well, but it'll remain close to 400 lb-ft.
Sponsored