Sponsored

53.6 MPG in a Wrangler 4XE?!?!

JDub11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl 2012jk
Just remember as electric demand goes up so will the prices. Our electric rate just doubled overnight.
Sponsored

Skeethree

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe, 2022 Rav4 Prime, 2020 Highlande Hybrid
Occupation
Architect
We have not seen electric costs per kilowatt/hour change significantly in many years. More and more residential consumers are switching to LED lighting and high efficiency air conditioners, pool pumps, heat pumps, etc to a point where electric consumption is dropping and power plants are closing. The rapid spread of solar panels is also a great daytime benefit during high demand hours, when three hours of direct sunlight recharges my 4xe completely. Additionally, since recharging for most people is primarily at night, when other uses are minimal, the demand curve should be fairly flat.

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
Apparently NJ is VERY different from Massachusetts! I'm with @JDub11 on this one. We've switched to all of the high efficiency things over the years and yet our electric bill has tripled in less than 5 years. I know our rates are terrible up here and I just hope the cost to charge my 4xe is about equal to the cost of a gallon of gas. I know there are plenty of places where the rates are lower and electric is much cheaper than gas. I am jealous of those folks!

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon diesel
Apparently NJ is VERY different from Massachusetts! I'm with @JDub11 on this one. We've switched to all of the high efficiency things over the years and yet our electric bill has tripled in less than 5 years. I know our rates are terrible up here and I just hope the cost to charge my 4xe is about equal to the cost of a gallon of gas. I know there are plenty of places where the rates are lower and electric is much cheaper than gas. I am jealous of those folks!
Unfortunately I’m in Jersey and it’s not just the electric rate causing your bill to increase it’s also the fact that the electric company are now charging a customer fee and increased their delivery rate per kilowatt etc. I’m not sure what area you are in but in southern NJ we use south jersey gas who has just increased their customer fee to like $ 40 per month!! So you have to pay them monthly just to be their client! Biggest scam ever!

Skeethree

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Architect
Unfortunately I’m in Jersey and it’s not just the electric rate causing your bill to increase it’s also the fact that the electric company are now charging a customer fee and increased their delivery rate per kilowatt etc. I’m not sure what area you are in but in southern NJ we use south jersey gas who has just increased their customer fee to like $ 40 per month!! So you have to pay them monthly just to be their client! Biggest scam ever!
[/QUOT

Antonio,

Something's weird with your bill. As a deregulated state, NJ electric providers all seem to run around 16-18 cents per kw/hr. If you don't like one company's rate, you can switch to a different supplier. Using the 17 cent average, it costs about $2.40 to fully charge the 4xe. With gasoline costs at $4.40 this is the same cost as getting about 42 mpg on gasoline. If your electric company is charging you 40 bucks a month as a customer fee (which is ridiculous when JCP&L is about $3), that number won't change, look at the per kw/hr cost to figure out what it will cost to run your Jeep on electricity.

Sponsored

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
@Skeethree Why did you use 14kWh for your calculation of the cost to "fully charge the 4xe?" Also, I wish my electricity was only 17 cents per kWh!

Skeethree

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Architect
@Skeethree Why did you use 14kWh for your calculation of the cost to "fully charge the 4xe?" Also, I wish my electricity was only 17 cents per kWh!
I used 15 kw since the battery always keeps 1 or 2 kw in reserve. I don't know why, but that's what the dealer told me. I get most of my solar from panels, so I can't just look at the meter to see how many kilowatts it took to go from 1% to 99% but I did just check my bill and if I were to buy from JCP&L it's currently 11 cents per kw/hr (guess I overestimated at 17 cents) plus a $3.25 per month service charge. So 15 kw/hrs only costs $1.65, not bad for 23-28 miles.
Sponsored