Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe, 2022 Rav4 Prime, 2020 Highlande Hybrid
Occupation
Architect
Hi Sboden,

For folks who usually get a refund at the end of the year, would this tax credit come back as part of their refund?

I understand you may not be a tax professional šŸ˜.

We have an LLC and have to write checks every quarter so this $7500 bucks is real money in our pockets.

I wonder about that donā€™t file quarterly or get refund checks every year.
If you pay at least $7500 per year youā€™ll get the entire $7500 back as a refund.
Sponsored

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, except for I have no way to measure the electricity being used.
This is the real question/problem........ Forget the MPG, you can't equate mpg in a hybrid vehicle because you are using a combo of gas and electricity. Find a way to measure the electrical usage and equate that to gas mileage and you will have your final number.

Skeethree

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Architect
This is the real question/problem........ Forget the MPG, you can't equate mpg in a hybrid vehicle because you are using a combo of gas and electricity. Find a way to measure the electrical usage and equate that to gas mileage and you will have your final number.
Fortunately, the 4xe gives you those numbers if you reset the trip meter after gas fill. Then the next time you fill up the dash will tell you exactly how many miles traveled on gasoline and how many on electric. Itā€™s still a bit of a misnomer though since some of those electric miles were created by regen, I see about 10-15%. I think the best way to calculate true hybrid mpg is to either fill up with only 1% charge, and not recharge until your next refill (and again the Jeep will tell you how many miles you added on regenerated electricity), or simply reset one of your trip meters after electricity drops to 1% and the ICE kicks on. When I do this, I typically see 26-28 mpg on flat south Jersey roads, about 3 to 5 mpg better than my 2018 6 cylinder JLUR did on the same trip. Both vehicles completely stock.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
Hi Sboden,

For folks who usually get a refund at the end of the year, would this tax credit come back as part of their refund?

I understand you may not be a tax professional šŸ˜.

We have an LLC and have to write checks every quarter so this $7500 bucks is real money in our pockets.

I wonder about that donā€™t file quarterly or get refund checks every year.
As stated by another member, if your tax liability is high enough (which the very large majority buying one of these will be), you will get the $7500 as a tax refund after filing your taxes for this year. If you lease, you will get it right away within the lease price.

eLECTRICON

I fueled up, went home plugged in. left at 6am with 100% battery and full fuel level. Went 423 miles with cruise control set at 75mph when fuel level was at red line and stopped to refuel. So 423m/17.2g=24.88mpge highway. NOTE: Rubicon has 4:10 gearing and I'm on 35" tires.

Sponsored

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
I fueled up, went home plugged in. left at 6am with 100% battery and full fuel level. Went 423 miles with cruise control set at 75mph when fuel level was at red line and stopped to refuel. So 423m/17.2g=24.88mpge highway. NOTE: Rubicon has 4:10 gearing and I'm on 35" tires.
Driving with 37's and going 5 mph faster will kick that down more but I think it is still pretty good then also.

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
Why can't electric vehicles have a way to drop a (supplemental) battery in fully charged instead of only plug in?

Skeethree

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Architect
Why can't electric vehicles have a way to drop a (supplemental) battery in fully charged instead of only plug in?
Maybe because the battery weighs about 700 lbs?

jdeolivares

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Tesla at one point had a prototype for that. The car would drive over a sunken bay and the olds battery would be remove and and new one inserted underneath the car.

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
Maybe because the battery weighs about 700 lbs?
I'm not talking full battery. Maybe a 5 mile ten mile 'PACK". Max 50lbs.
I'm drinking coffee shooting shit btw.....

Sponsored

Skeethree

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Architect
I'm not talking full battery. Maybe a 5 mile ten mile 'PACK". Max 50lbs.
I'm drinking coffee shooting shit btw.....
If 700 lbs =25 miles +/-, we're talking 28 lbs per mile. If you can lift a 140 lb battery into place to get an additional 5 miles you're a better man than I, but then again I don't drink coffee.

BoatTox

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Rubicon XR -Skratch
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sitting
Didn't Brandon Haneline show how to figure this out? Roughly. To me MPG is useful for not only how far I can travel on a tank, but how much it costs me to go an average mile. Brandon's method gets you in the ballpark for the cost and is probably a number you can use to compare to most other vehicles. Where it all goes to hell is as soon as you take advantage of the public charging infrastructure your cost of electricity changes. But if you use Brandon's method that's probably close enough for most people and casual conversations around fuel economy.

Thank you for posting this video. We are trying to make a decision on buying a 4xE and this explains a good functional estimate to determine what happens if I run the 4xE as a the same as an ICE vehicle. Iā€™m not interested in changing driving styles or min/maxing everything. We already have a level 2 charger from another car and our electric cost is cheap here. I know this is an old thread and post, but thank you again.

Biglou4xe

First Name
Lad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Unlimited 4xe
A lot of people have asked the question ā€œWhat is the gas milage of the Wrangler 4XE?ā€ Hereā€™s why that is an enormously problematic question. Also, hereā€™s why MPGE and MPG can not be confused.

53 MPG in a Wrangler 4XE?!?!

Please share this video with anyone who tells you the 4XE will get 49 miles to the gallon. Yes, it looks like Iā€™m getting 53.6MPG on my trip odometer but thatā€™s not a real number.
I have 1532 miles on my 4xe and have filled up 3 times

Skeethree

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Architect
I have 1532 miles on my 4xe and have filled up 3 times
I have 10,500 miles on my 4xe and have filled up 8 times with gas, but this is really a meaningless number as I can recharge every night at home and only need to buy gasoline on longer trips. The important thing to note is that as gas prices have gone through the roof, the 4xe benefits have increased tremendously. If gas now costs $4.60 per gallon, your ICE use at 20 mpg costs 23 cents per mile. If you can charge fully for $2.00 (or free off solar panels) and drive for 25 miles the cost drops to 8 cents per mile, or the equivalent of 57 mpg if you're buying gasoline. This math has nothing to do with the energy equivalency of a kilowatt or a gallon of gas, just shows the savings and relative cost to operate based solely on fuel usage.

All that said, it's still a Jeep Wrangler. Our Rav4 plugin gets the equivalent of about 110 mpg and also doubles the Wrangler's ICE gas mileage and electric range. I am confident that Jeep will continue to improve the numbers over the years, it would be great to have more electric range.
Sponsored