Sponsored

53.6 MPG in a Wrangler 4XE?!?!

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
Most places in this country have high energy costs, in my area 16 cents/kw-hr with std rate. So assume this it would be about 2.75 per charge, assuming a 22 mile range, that is about the equivalent I get in my rubicon with 1 gallon of regular, which is about 2.75. So break even at best.

Also NOTHING IS FREE, someone else is paying, people in this country need to wake up and stop looking to free load even though our politicians plan this free lunch scam.
The 4xe never depletes it's battery, there is about a 15% reserve so a full charge from empty would be closer to 2.35, but regardless there are many other reasons for PHEV, you are using less emissions (which is really the goal). I don't want to take this down a rabbit hole but I would much rather see consumers get tax credits/breaks than the big oil companies whom have been getting them forever. The EV tax credits are a drop in the well compared to the billions, upon billions big oil has saved just over the last few years through government tax breaks and deferments.
Sponsored

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
On the other hand if you sign up for free nights/weekends energy plans, you really can get your shit for free. I pay 18cents pkwh for days and 0 for nights.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
You are nit picking, most could care less about carbon emissions, the real goal for anyone buying these is the 7500$ kickback. I dont blame anyone buying one and letting the Fed taxpayer subsidize their Jeep, Toyota and Tesla amongst others have played this scam for years. Some day we will get pols in who get rid of this winner/looser non-sense.

But be clear, you are not saving any money if your utility rate is high.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Exactly this. Unless you have a solar panel on your property to offset, or are able to charge at free public sites or work, there very marginal financial benefit to you in driving in EV hybrid mode.

For folks who cannot regularly plug in, the regular 2.0 without the EV weight penalty would probably have a lower operating cost.
Have you watched the actual videos posted in this thread and others of the real world MPG for the 4xe? Everyone seems to be assuming you will only get 21mpg in a 4xe which is wrong.

My 3.6L Wrangler Unlimited Sport averaged under 17mpg lifetime (I did have a lift and 33" tires). If I could even average 25mpg in a 4xe that's a huge difference, and as gas prices rise the EV portion will really pay benefits. When your paying $2.75 or less for a charge and gas prices are $3.50-$4+ (they already are in many places in our country) you will really see the benefit.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are nit picking, most could care less about carbon emissions, the real goal for anyone buying these is the 7500$ kickback. I dont blame anyone buying one and letting the Fed taxpayer subsidize their Jeep, Toyota and Tesla amongst others have played this scam for years. Some day we will get pols in who get rid of this winner/looser non-sense.

But be clear, you are not saving any money if your utility rate is high.
Go back and read the post in this thread where I compared my 2019 Honda Odyssey to our 21 Pacifica Hybrid. Even with higher than average electricity costs we are coming out pretty far ahead. As gas prices continue to rise that discrepancy will only get bigger.

It really comes down to your driving habits. Yes, if your intention is to buy a 4xe, not charge it much, and go on long commutes at 70+mph this is not a good choice.

If your like me and 90% of your driving is city and you can charge often, I come out way ahead vs my previous JL Wrangler. It probably won't even be close.

Sponsored

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
I don't need to watch someone else's video on a vehicle I own. Been doing virtually all of my driving on electric only, since I am able to plug in 'for free'. from my experience, driving it without any charge (e.g. not plugged in) has resulted in mileage in 16-17 range. Anyone buying this thing thinking they can just drive it like any off the shelf non-PHEV hybrid should reconsider - Jeep did not prioritize fuel economy, Jeep prioritized capability.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
On the other hand if you sign up for free nights/weekends energy plans, you really can get your shit for free. I pay 18cents pkwh for days and 0 for nights.
So any power you use in the evening is free?? Our PUC doesnt allow that and for good reason, nothing is free, someone else is paying. So any business could work off shift evenings and never pay any electric costs? Reason why our PUC never allows that time of rate use.

Thill44

Why dont you be our test bed. next week charge your battery( Can even use one of those "free" locations ), but only once. then please go fill up and zero out the odometer on B. then drive the next week or so, but no plugging in, drive in Hybrid mode. thenfill up again and report "gallons" used and actual miles drive and hence MPG, so one can see what the actual increase versus a std Wrangler is. I bet a delta of a 2mpg at best. No one on here seems to know how to run a controlled test, and hasnt reported back on this.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So any power you use in the evening is free?? Our PUC doesnt allow that and for good reason, nothing is free, someone else is paying. So any business could work off shift evenings and never pay any electric costs? Reason why our PUC never allows that time of rate use.

Thill44

Why dont you be our test bed. next week charge your battery( Can even use one of those "free" locations ), but only once. then please go fill up and zero out the odometer on B. then drive the next week or so, but no plugging in, drive in Hybrid mode. thenfill up again and report "gallons" used and actual miles drive and hence MPG, so one can see what the actual increase versus a std Wrangler is. I bet a delta of a 2mpg at best. No one on here seems to know how to run a controlled test, and hasnt reported back on this.
Will be happy to do that once I get my 4xe. I would also break in the ICE engine first as my 19 JLU got like 14mpg until I hit about 1K miles and then I have averaged roughly 17mpg since. Probably gonna be another 6 weeks till I get the 4xe. But to be clear, I would never drive my 4xe like that. I would drive it just like my Pacifica Hybrid.

The other thing folks don't realize is with the 2.0T engine 93 octane is recommended (or you will get reduced performance). The closest premium by my house is now $3.69 a gallon and the cheapest in my city is $3.33 (but it's like 10 miles away each way). So that $2-2.75 charge is not sounding so bad :) Wait until July when we are probably looking at $4+ per gallon here. Part of my reason for buying this was hedging my bets that gas prices were going to go up post Covid and Biden.

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Yep. This isn't even rare in TX. Reliant, GreenMountain, DirectEnergy, PaylessPower all offer it. I'm not sure if they offer it for businesses, obviously. And no, it's free, no one else is paying for it. Electricity companies offer it because they have reduced load and wasted power at nights. I pay a higher rate for my energy usage in the day (18c/kwh) in exchange for my free nights. I 'pay' for it, but since I'm paying less overall, I don't really pay for it. I would argue that's free, but you can be pedantic about it if you'd like.
Shifting demand to times where they have wasted energy (when businesses aren't running) helps reduce stress and utilizes a free resource they are wasting (excess production they can't shut down and restart every night). Your quasi-political criticisms are a bit baseless and not what I was hoping to run into on a jeep forum.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't need to watch someone else's video on a vehicle I own. Been doing virtually all of my driving on electric only, since I am able to plug in 'for free'. from my experience, driving it without any charge (e.g. not plugged in) has resulted in mileage in 16-17 range. Anyone buying this thing thinking they can just drive it like any off the shelf non-PHEV hybrid should reconsider - Jeep did not prioritize fuel economy, Jeep prioritized capability.
16-17mpg on no charge is not surprising depending on what type of driving your doing. The 4xe weighs more, and if you are driving any type of highway driving on gas only I think this will perform worse than a regular Wrangler. Again more weight and your getting very little to no hybrid benefit.

I have owned a PHEV since Jan (roughly 5000 miles) and where it excells is the city driving with frequent charging.

Sponsored

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
16-17mpg on no charge is not surprising depending on what type of driving your doing. The 4xe weighs more, and if you are driving any type of highway driving on gas only I think this will perform worse than a regular Wrangler. Again more weight and your getting very little to no hybrid benefit.

I have owned a PHEV since Jan (roughly 5000 miles) and where it excells is the city driving with frequent charging.
I mean, maybe I'm biased, but I feel like there's plenty of weekend warriors who live in the burbs, commute 15 miles or less to work on a mixed city/highway route, but want to hit the trails a couple weekends a month. The 4xe gives you high level trims at a good price (with tax credit) while giving you better cost/mile and great torque when you need it. Is it unilaterally better than the standard v6, the 3.0 v6, or the lighter 2.0 versions? No, but it hits a great sweet spot for a ton of people.

If you can't afford to charge at home, or drive mostly highway, or have huge commutes, then yea it may not be right for you. But like...why come in here and try to call it universally shitty? Unless you have ulterior motivations for being against EVs in general.

Last edited:

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
Most places in this country have high energy costs, in my area 16 cents/kw-hr with std rate. So assume this it would be about 2.75 per charge, assuming a 22 mile range, that is about the equivalent I get in my rubicon with 1 gallon of regular, which is about 2.75. So break even at best.

Also NOTHING IS FREE, someone else is paying, people in this country need to wake up and stop looking to free load even though our politicians plan this free lunch scam.
My electric is $.1038 Kw-hr.

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
The other thing folks don't realize is with the 2.0T engine 93 octane is recommended (or you will get reduced performance). The closest premium by my house is now $3.69 a gallon and the cheapest in my city is $3.33 (but it's like 10 miles away each way). So that $2-2.75 charge is not sounding so bad :) Wait until July when we are probably looking at $4+ per gallon here. Part of my reason for buying this was hedging my bets that gas prices were going to go up post Covid and Biden.
It's already up around $4.50/gallon here in Kalifornia!

Skeethree

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe, 2022 Rav4 Prime, 2020 Highlande Hybrid
Occupation
Architect
A couple days ago I posted mileage with gas and electricity driving from VT to NJ in our JLURe A few more observations since then:

1) It's easy to go more than 21 miles electric only on flat NJ roads. Two full recharges netted 26 and 28 miles before ICE kicked in. Could have done 30 without today's headwinds.

2) The mpg figures on the dash are not particularly useful unless you use one for electric use (usually 46-54 mpge) and one for gasoline only once your hybrid battery drops to <1%. Gasoline only use so far averages about 24-26 mpg, pretty decent considering it only runs on electricity about 5-10% of the time based on regeneration. I expect Sahara models could add one or two mpg to that number, our numbers are based on local use, 25-45 miles per hour.

3) The mpg figure on the left side of the center screen is overall mpg, it goes up when running electricity and down with gasoline. It can only be reset from the energy screen on the dash.

4) The mpg figures become less useful through multiple recharges. They are really just a reflection of how many times/how often you recharge. Same thing with range, if I recharge every night my range could be thousands of miles between fill ups. It's not possible to compare mileage to other 4xe's.

The important thing to know is that your gasoline only mpg will likely be 20-26 mpg depending on whether or not you beat on your Jeep (I am seeing some 15 mpg posts out there but don't understand how they can be that bad) and that you can drive 25 miles or so on electricity that should cost less than a gallon of gas. We get ours from rooftop solar panels so it's free.

Other than that, the ride is great, the steering is much better than the JLUR we traded, and I'll get that $7500 back as a tax credit next year. So far, the 4xe is the most advanced and best Jeep ever, hope everyone has the same experience, and that it only improves after break-in. Tomorrow we'll try the beach.

Newbie 4xe

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
1) It's easy to go more than 21 miles electric only on flat NJ roads. Two full recharges netted 26 and 28 miles before ICE kicked in. Could have done 30 without today's headwinds.
Agreed. I’m also netting between 26 and 28 miles per full charge. I’m sure that’s because I’m in a Sahara with standard tires and I’m not running air conditioning or heating yet. I expect reduced mileage on the battery as I engage more climate control.
Sponsored