First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Freedom
Occupation
Student at University of Utah
Hi, I just purchased a fab four bumper for my JL. I’m missing a couple of the tools to put it on and reached out to a shop for a quote. They said it was going to take them 4 hours and wanted over $500 to install it. Does this sound right or way too high? It is a bolt on bumper and I thought they were pretty quick and simple to get on. Thanks!

UPDATE:
Got the bumper installed and also did Rigid fog lights with amber colored covers. I live in Salt Lake City and am always driving up to ski in the snow so they should work out perfect. Also decided to switch from my 33 stock rubicon wheels to 35s with an Icon wheel.
Thank you everyone for all the help

D5909A13-92D2-4770-A653-F680563D2875.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
If you were closer I would do it for a few beers and a cook out!!! It shouldn't take that long, it would take you longer to cook for us and run and get the beer.

OP
OP
elispaulding

elispaulding

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Freedom
Occupation
Student at University of Utah
If you were closer I would do it for a few beers and a cook out!!! It shouldn't take that long, it would take you longer to cook for us and run and get the beer.
hahaha that is what I figured! Thank you for the reply though, wish I could take you up on that.

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Hi, I just purchased a fab four bumper for my JL. I’m missing a couple of the tools to put it on and reached out to a shop for a quote. They said it was going to take them 4 hours and wanted over $500 to install it. Does this sound right or way too high? It is a bolt on bumper and I thought they were pretty quick and simple to get on. Thanks!
That is insane. My front took a couple of hours, with basic tools, while drinking a beer, trying to control my kids, trying to find the right bolt in the mix of 500 random fasteners ROAM sent me, and texting with friends. Seriously if I had actually been focusing I probably could have done the whole thing in 45 minutes and I am NOT a professional mechanic in any way.

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
Well if it was May I would be in your area and would stop by....

Sponsored

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
That’s wild. I get people want to make money but this is a rip off.

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22'JLURD
It takes longer to get the stock bumper off then the new one one. Fuck Jeep put a ton of nuts and bolts, especially for the fog lights and getting the wiring harness out.

You would be better off to go and buy the tools you need.

zyt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Miata
There are a lot youtube videos on changing the front bumper. I swapped mine in about two hours. Just need a 18mm deep socket and some basic tools.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Probably 2 hours work if you need to split the front bumper to get the fogs out of it.

What tools are you missing? Really don't need much for a bumper install. Can do it without power tools even.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Just buy the tools you need. It's always good to have them and you will probably need them for the rear bumper and various other other things.

Instead of buying individual tools, if you don't have many tools in the first place, look to see if what you need is included in a larger set. The price per piece in the sets are much, much less then buying individually. Home Depot or Lowe's have sets that are more than good enough for non professional use.

Last edited:

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
Whoa! Front or rear? Fogs or rear park assist? I'm guessing the shop has done a few and found out it can take a while to get all the parts off the old bumper and reinstalled into the new. They are also on the hook if they screw up a sensor or the lights. I wouldn't pay them the $500, but I don't think they are out of line. Like suggested, go buy the tools and DIY. It's not rocket science. Just takes a lot of time. Include a 3/8 impact in you tool purchases if you don't have one. Otherwise you will be unscrewing the bumper for hours, especially the front one. If you don't plan on making a living as a mechanic, HD, Lowes and even HF make pretty good stuff. Less than $150 will get you a good starter bunch but pop the big $ for either DeWalt or Mikita on the Impact. Get the set with the drill driver too. Under $250. That still leaves you $100 for beer and steak.

McKenzie

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR; 2016 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Education
My install experience (ACE Experdition Stubby) was probably 4 hours - a lot of that was taking off the factory (plastic) bumper and recovering the fogs/harness. It wasn't tough, but i did need to make a stop at the local hardware store to invest in some new tools (totally worth it). I would say that it's an easy job, but it gets tedious, and requires some brute force (or ingenuity) to get the new bumper raised into place and bolted on. I would not pay the $500 to have a shop do it. That's money that could go toward the winch (or lift, tires, wheels, road trip to moab, or maybe groceries).

I think it's also a great way to start to figure out the mechanical side of your jeep and gradually increase your confidence in maintenance, repairs, and upgrades. All of which increases your budget for new toys!
Sponsored