Sponsored

500 Mile Break in Oil change caused issues

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Didn't say it was Red, seemed runny than what I'm use to and had a light pinkish color. But was out of a brand new bottle of 0w20 Pennzoil. Also Dealer is not blaming me for anything, so far they are on my side.
This is sounding better with every post. Good to hear my friend. Still sucks but at least you'll have some peace of mind.
Sponsored

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Seems surprising to me that a dealer would do a teardown themselves, under these circumstances. Maybe they haven't made contact with Jeep on the issue yet. Like someone else posted, Jeep would want first look at the issue to determine the root cause, such as a manufacturing defect of a component or assembly error.
Well, they did it with mine. Bottom line is, with as many years as it's been in production, and as many as have been built, they know the failings of this motor. Hell, all I had to do was verbalize it to my small town Service Rep and he knew right away what the problem was.

They don't need to send every shitty 3.6 back to Toledo. If they did, they be broke.

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
This is sounding better with every post. Good to hear my friend. Still sucks but at least you'll have some peace of mind.
He could buy a quart of the same 0w-20 and look at it, if it looks the same, he can sleep better at night.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Didn't say it was Red, seemed runny than what I'm use to and had a light pinkish color. But was out of a brand new bottle of 0w20 Pennzoil. Also Dealer is not blaming me for anything, so far they are on my side.
Your buddy youtube checking in!

I think it looks exactly like what you described!

If you take a look at some other videos it looks honey colored to me.

Also, I've got to ask: Are people really blaming OP? Tell me, do you pour your oil into a beaker before pouring it into the engine? lol I doubt it. Honestly the thought never crossed my mind before to see what it looked like.

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
I suggest editing the title of the post to remove reference to the oil change, since that appears to be merely coincidence. Thanks for keeping us up to date on developments.

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
The guy didn't have a crystal ball to forsee this event. He knows everything you just said. Everyone does. So, why the dig?
I wasnā€™t trying to make a dig. Whatever, letā€™s move on. Iā€™m glad OP has a good dealer that isnā€™t trying to screw him. We donā€™t read about good guy dealers on this forum very often.

Initial-Jeep

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392XR Tuscadero, PT Cruiser Dream Cruisers 2&4
Occupation
Data Engineer, Retired Air Force
heh, lotta logical fallacies repeated in this thread:

• post hoc ergo propter hoc/correlation does not imply causation: the oil change at 500 mi. doesn't mean it had anything to do with engine failure
  • genetic fallacy/appeal to authority: engineers are neither omniscient nor infallible and non-automotive engineers aren't wrong because they aren't engineers--the who behind a claim has no bearing on the validity (or lack thereof) of the claim (Why do you think there are so many TSBs--especially ones that update specs?)
  • the manual doesn't explicitly state all facts or all knowledge/text isn't a substitute for logical inference or outside knowledge; the manual does explicitly mention the break-in period--what do you think is breaking and where do you think the debris goes?
Note how some of these apply to science, religion, etc.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon

• post hoc ergo propter hoc/correlation does not imply causation: the oil change at 500 mi. doesn't mean it had anything to do with engine failure
  • genetic fallacy/appeal to authority: engineers are neither omniscient nor infallible and non-automotive engineers aren't wrong because they aren't engineers--the who behind a claim has no bearing on the validity (or lack thereof) of the claim (Why do you think there are so many TSBs--especially ones that update specs?)
  • the manual doesn't explicitly state all facts or all knowledge/text isn't a substitute for logical inference or outside knowledge; the manual does explicitly mention the break-in period--what do you think is breaking and where do you think the debris goes?
Note how some of these apply to science, religion, etc.
TIL what "post hoc ergo propter hoc" means.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
TIL what "post hoc ergo propter hoc" means.
There's a couple other words in his reply that I've never used in my vocabulary, so it is what it is, lol.

If I would have applied myself at a much younger age, and became an engineer I might also be driving a 392XR rather than my lowly Sport S :)

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I suggest editing the title of the post to remove reference to the oil change, since that appears to be merely coincidence. Thanks for keeping us up to date on developments.
I don't think the OP changing the oil was the problem. As I noted in a post with some youtube videos above, that pennzoil is pretty light, and I doubt anyone would expect someone to verify the oil before pouring it in, especially if it came from an apparently sealed bottle.

My guess is the oil is fine and legit. Something was probably wrong and the act of changing the oil happened to lead to things going wrong lol.

Like, a loose piece of metal that got sucked up when the engine pulled in the fresh oil on the first start? Something like that. Perhaps something near the oil filter housing that got knocked loose when the filter was changed. Maybe something that got knocked loose when the original oil was poured out and everything drained out of the pan.

I am not a mechanical engineer or a mechanic or a lawyer, but as a regular dude, I think the OP's hands are clean in this one. :) On "runniness", 0w20 is pretty much like water at room temperature.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
If itā€™s not been said already - OP needs to immediately remove all posts. OP is giving Jeep a way to deny his claimā€¦.geez

Chomper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
For those who are criticizing changing the oil early, I did my first at 1024 miles and there was a lot of metallic residue in the oil.

I also changed my rear diff at 2830 miles on my '18 Sahara w/LSD.

A year later I start seeing people with 15k-20k miles on the same rear diff having issues with the LSD grenading. So there has been a ton of talk about doing the first at 5k.

I'm at 29k and I just changed my rear diff fluid for the 3rd time today. The LSD appears to still be working.

Sometimes changing fluids early can help.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator

• genetic fallacy/appeal to authority: engineers are neither omniscient nor infallible and non-automotive engineers ā€¦.
WTF? Is that metric English or something? šŸ˜„

Jeep Wrangler JL 500 Mile Break in Oil change caused issues 1652603257077
Sponsored