Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys XR in Hydro Blue
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
Yea I’m hoping he didn’t say anything about the oil but the fact he said they sent off the oil for analysis tells me he already did. Hopefully they don’t try to pin that on you even if it is completely unrelated just to get out of a warranty claim
It wouldn’t be a true Stellantis warranty claim.

If the oil analysis comes back as ATF or some other hodgepodge of fluids....it will then become an insurance claim with his insurance company, plain and simple.

In the end.....I’ll bet a lot of warranty claims, both valid and invalid, typically result in higher vehicle prices which are ultimately passed on to the new vehicle purchaser.
Sponsored

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
All speculative ideas he had aside, nobody should be penalized for buying the correct factory recommended oil from a reputable store and doing an oil change on their own vehicle, nor should that vehicle catastrophically fail from something so simple as an oil change. I hope they don't go down that road, unless they truly do find like, used ATF in there or something instead of oil, or a 10mm socket in the bottom of the pan.
That's where I keep all of my 10mm sockets, so they don't wander off.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
That's where I keep all of my 10mm sockets, so they don't wander off.
The fit alongside the oil filter, and easy to get to just by removing the cap :)

SparkyIBEW

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Unlimited XR Rubicon
My jeep is somewhere between Toledo and Nampa Idaho right now. The dealer said Jeeps website was hacked and therefore has no idea where or WTF. I will drop the oil after 100 miles then at 500 miles and then at 4-5000 thereafter, I don't give a damn otherwise. I've been doing this to several vehicles for many years. For you new Jeep owners doing their own oil changes, give it a try. Wipe and clean your oil pan before dumping the used oil into it and take a good look at all the crap at the bottom of the pan. And that's the obvious particles...... Funny, the oil filter didn't filter that shit out, what a fucking revelation! Now, we don't want all that crap recirculating through our engine now do we? Back in the day we used to run "non detergent" oil to seat the rings, my, how things have changed. Only a fool would change their oil at 10,000 mile intervals. Cheers!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
My jeep is somewhere between Toledo and Nampa Idaho right now. The dealer said Jeeps website was hacked and therefore has no idea where or WTF. I will drop the oil after 100 miles then at 500 miles and then at 4-5000 thereafter, I don't give a damn otherwise. I've been doing this to several vehicles for many years. For you new Jeep owners doing their own oil changes, give it a try. Wipe and clean your oil pan before dumping the used oil into it and take a good look at all the crap at the bottom of the pan. And that's the obvious particles...... Funny, the oil filter didn't filter that shit out, what a fucking revelation! Now, we don't want all that crap recirculating through our engine now do we? Back in the day we used to run "non detergent" oil to seat the rings, my, how things have changed. Only a fool would change their oil at 10,000 mile intervals. Cheers!
I go 6k for each change and do my tire rotations at the same time, seems like a good interval for both. I plan on keeping this thing until my wheels fall off (which will probably be before the Jeeps do lol). I also plan to service my ATF at 60k intervals. It sounds like you plan to have your Jeep for the long haul too!

Like I said in a post above, if it gives you peace of mind, you do you!

Sponsored

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
It wouldn’t be a true Stellantis warranty claim.

If the oil analysis comes back as ATF or some other hodgepodge of fluids....it will then become an insurance claim with his insurance company, plain and simple.

In the end.....I’ll bet a lot of warranty claims, both valid and invalid, typically result in higher vehicle prices which are ultimately passed on to the new vehicle purchaser.
Does car insurance cover things like improper maintenance? I don't think it does, never heard of it being covered anyway. But I could be wrong.

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Does car insurance cover things like improper maintenance? I don't think it does, never heard of it being covered anyway. But I could be wrong.
Plenty of people have put gasoline in Diesel engines by mistake and reported insurance covered the damage. Comprehensive covers a lot of ground. It’s not like the OP intentionally used incorrect fluid (assuming that it is actually not the right oil).

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl Wrangler ,2016Soul,Dyna,Sportster,HD
After reading this post,I went straight to the garage and changed my oil and filter. The Jeep had 1057 miles.I had a Mopar filter and container of PP 0-20 synthetic. The drain pug was easy, but the filter removal was nothing like I expected.It was tight pretty much all the way out.I have seen video of folks loosening it and hand spinning it out.No way mine did that.Upon inspection of the filter, it looked great except for one prominent machining chip.IT was aluminum and curled from the machining process for sure. I lubed the o rings up with oil, but the new filter didn't feel much better going in than it did coming out. I'm not sure about the tightness, but it is not leaking. I want to unscrew the filter housing and grease the o rings and threads but not sure if it would start leaking.

Sponsored

SparkyIBEW

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Unlimited XR Rubicon
Sorry for the rant. By the time I finished reading 8 pages of the above, I was seeing "RED". To each his own, like the man said, peace of mind. It takes all kinds to make this world go 'round, hell, if we all thought the same, the whole population would be driving Jeeps and they'd all be the same color! Back to the important stuff, to the OP, Sorry for drifting off on a tangent. How's that coming along?

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
I want to unscrew the filter housing and grease the o rings and threads but not sure if it would start leaking.
DONT!
If its not leaking don't worry about it. Its a crappy setup but you don't want to cause problems. Next time, I use oil myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: OBD
OP
OP
TCorgard82

TCorgard82

First Name
Thor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sport S 2 door, 2014 Ram 1500
Occupation
Engineering Technician
So word from Dealer, they found metal when they pulled the dipstick not filter as other service advisor said. He told me they have to tear the engine down to see what happened. He stated nothing I did was wrong, I assumed I was putting the correct items in per the label. But he thinks that much metal it might be a manufacture defect. So now still in a holding pattern.

1BadManVan

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara/2018 Durango R/T
Occupation
Locomotive Engineer
So word from Dealer, they found metal when they pulled the dipstick not filter as other service advisor said. He told me they have to tear the engine down to see what happened. He stated nothing I did was wrong, I assumed I was putting the correct items in per the label. But he thinks that much metal it might be a manufacture defect. So now still in a holding pattern.
Well that sucks about the motor but it sounds like the dealer will take care of it atleast under warranty if they are staying it’s not fault of yours.

Sorry for such a rough start into ownership, it does happen sometimes on mass produced engines.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
That’s great to hear. What a relief for you. Please keep us posted on the progress.
Sponsored