500 Mile Break in Oil change caused issues

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Not sure how that is working given nearly all transmissions these days have to be between a certain range of temperature for all of the ports to open and many take very specialized fluids, but yeah, dealers are not always on top of technology.

Reference the 6QT versus 5QT oil changes that happen frequently...
Its pretty straight forward, we have a machine that attaches to the transmission cooler lines that performs an exchange of fluids using a chamber with a piston separating old and new. The transmission pumps the fluids itself.
Sponsored

sherpaJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito! ~ 2022 JLUR Hydro Blue
this happens more than you realize. dbags return purchased parts with their worn components in the box claiming it doesn't fit, work, etc. unsuspecting customers get burned. i always open/inspect parts before i walk. to quote @wibornz 'I have stories'

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
So this assumes the oil was the correct type, but I feel like I remember botching the filter install (as easy as it is) on my 3.6 JK once. I think the little o ring on the point of the filter wasn’t placed right? Or missing? I can’t remember. Either way, I lost oil pressure pretty quickly and similarly to how you described. Maybe it’s something as simple as that.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Its pretty straight forward, we have a machine that attaches to the transmission cooler lines that performs an exchange of fluids using a chamber with a piston separating old and new. The transmission pumps the fluids itself.
It sounds like the standard machine so how does it make the temperature controlled systems operate?

OP
OP
TCorgard82

TCorgard82

First Name
Thor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sport S 2 door, 2014 Ram 1500
Occupation
Engineering Technician
So got some info from the dealer, the service advisor didn't contact me, but left a note in the system. They pulled it into the service bay, pulled the filter and found metal. That is all the note said. The person on the phone made a note from them to contact me tomorrow morning.

Sponsored

sherpaJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito! ~ 2022 JLUR Hydro Blue
So got some info from the dealer, the service advisor didn't contact me, but left a note in the system. They pulled it into the service bay, pulled the filter and found metal. That is all the note said. The person on the phone made a note from them to contact me tomorrow morning.
prayers sent

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
It sounds like the standard machine so how does it make the temperature controlled systems operate?
It doesn’t. The thermostat (if equipped) has to be open for the transmission to allow flow to the cooler. You have to operate the vehicle to establish temperature in the normal range.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Damn. I'm not convinced the oil is at fault here, this seems to be more likely just an early / factory defect that you're catching with the engine. Dropped a valve or something. It'd be wild if the oil had been replaced in the jug and put back on the shelf.

I had a heater core go catastrophically bad at 1500 miles dumping all the coolant out in a matter of a few seconds. It was fixed and I've got 37k problem free miles on top of that now with no issue. Big defects are most likely to show themselves in the first couple thousand miles - best of luck working with the dealer and don't forget to open up a Star case and/or Jeep Wave case.

OP
OP
TCorgard82

TCorgard82

First Name
Thor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sport S 2 door, 2014 Ram 1500
Occupation
Engineering Technician
Damn. I'm not convinced the oil is at fault here, this seems to be more likely just an early / factory defect that you're catching with the engine. Dropped a valve or something. It'd be wild if the oil had been replaced in the jug and put back on the shelf.

I had a heater core go catastrophically bad at 1500 miles dumping all the coolant out in a matter of a few seconds. It was fixed and I've got 37k problem free miles on top of that now with no issue. Big defects are most likely to show themselves in the first couple thousand miles - best of luck working with the dealer and don't forget to open up a Star case and/or Jeep Wave case.
dunno how to open a Wave case and if it would even matter...

Sponsored

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
dunno how to open a Wave case and if it would even matter...
send @JeepCares a message and they’ll respond back and ask for your name, VIN, the dealer, etc. the idea is that they can act as a resource if you have any issues getting updates from your dealer, or if they have any problems getting parts, Jeep Cares can sometimes expedite parts or help locate them.

In my experience, they reps they assign are less responsive than dealer service departments, but they did help get a part overnighted to my dealer once. Others have had more positive experiences.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
I wouldn’t contact Jeep Cares, TBH. No need to connect your speculation here with your Jeep IRL, unless you’ve already told them about what happened with the oil. Let them figure it out. No need to give them ammo to deny your warranty.

As others have said, this sounds like a manufacturing defect.

1BadManVan

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara/2018 Durango R/T
Occupation
Locomotive Engineer
Yea I’m hoping he didn’t say anything about the oil but the fact he said they sent off the oil for analysis tells me he already did. Hopefully they don’t try to pin that on you even if it is completely unrelated just to get out of a warranty claim

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Yea I’m hoping he didn’t say anything about the oil but the fact he said they sent off the oil for analysis tells me he already did. Hopefully they don’t try to pin that on you even if it is completely unrelated just to get out of a warranty claim

All speculative ideas he had aside, nobody should be penalized for buying the correct factory recommended oil from a reputable store and doing an oil change on their own vehicle, nor should that vehicle catastrophically fail from something so simple as an oil change. I hope they don't go down that road, unless they truly do find like, used ATF in there or something instead of oil, or a 10mm socket in the bottom of the pan.

1BadManVan

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara/2018 Durango R/T
Occupation
Locomotive Engineer
All speculative ideas he had aside, nobody should be penalized for buying the correct factory recommended oil from a reputable store and doing an oil change on their own vehicle, nor should that vehicle catastrophically fail from something so simple as an oil change. I hope they don't go down that road, unless they truly do find like, used ATF in there or something instead of oil, or a 10mm socket in the bottom of the pan.
I completely agree, especially on a brand new vehicle
Sponsored