Sponsored

500 Mile Break in Oil change caused issues

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I was about to say, Mobil 1 and castrol have the foil on the 4-5 quart jugs, so does quakerstate when last I used it. The only oil I’ve used without it has been amsoil. Seems a little without it.
Valvoline has the foil seal and pull ring. It would be very difficult (if not impossible) to fake it so that it looks unused.
Sponsored

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I am still curious as to why you would do an oil change at 500 miles, seems like a big waste of time and money. If Jeeps were using conventional oil I am sure someone could convince why it might be a good idea but not with the new synthetics. There are some manufacturers that have a recommended interval of 15K miles with synthetic oil

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I am still curious as to why you would do an oil change at 500 miles, seems like a big waste of time and money. If Jeeps were using conventional oil I am sure someone could convince why it might be a good idea but not with the new synthetics. There are some manufacturers that have a recommended interval of 15K miles with synthetic oil
I am betting for the same reason that I did--to get the wear metals out. Oil from every new engine that I had sparkles with metal when viewed in the sunlight. I personally want it out so I change my oil early and frequently for the first 5K miles or so.

I also would not go to a 15K OCI without doing some testing. At 5K miles, the iOLM in my 3.6L typically states that I have more than 50% life left, yet the UOA typically shows I have less than 1,000 miles of additive (health) remaining and I have used synthetics in it from the first oil change. You cannot blindly trust the iOLM or the OEM without knowing the oil can go that far and there is only one way to know--test it.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
It's not relevant to the discussion that the change was made at 500 miles or 5000 miles.

AG’s ‘ 21 Jeep Wrangler

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Are manufacturers still using break-in oil like they did decades ago?

QUOTE="TCorgard82, post: 1941884, member: 78804"]
So I did a break in oil change at 500 miles like I have on other auto's. I got Penzoil 0w20 as I have seen suggested on the forums since it meets the requirements for the 3.6l. When as i poured it in, it had a pinkish hue and was fairly runny, I thought must be because of the weight, I have never dealt with anything below 10w30.

So this morning driving it to work, it started to loose power, oil pressure was around 35psi, then it shut off as I got to the side of the highway. No oil on the road. So got it towed to the dealer only cost $16 with the service plan. Now I wait for them to get to it.

I have a theory it was not motor oil in the jug, but here is what I purchased. I just hope someone will cover the cost if it is major. I have not even made the first payment on it yet.

280481456_10217878755000586_1822660673344049169_n.jpg

[/QUOTE]

Sponsored

Brsox

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019. 4Runner TRD PRO
Unfortunately, by not following the recommended maintenance schedule and you don’t have a receipt for what you purchased, I think you’re going to be on the hook for any repairs.

There is no reason to change the oil at 500 mi. While under warranty, always follow the maintenance schedule & use the fluids specified by the manufacturer. Outside of warranty, do whatever you want. Good luck.
Everyone always thinks they know better than the engineers that design these engines. I always just stick to the manufacturer's recommended scheduled maintenance and use OEM parts and fluids. If you're that convinced that the engineers don't know what they're doing and only you have a magic formula for making the engine last longer, just shop around around for the best price on an extended warranty and drive stress free.

OP
OP
TCorgard82

TCorgard82

First Name
Thor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sport S 2 door, 2014 Ram 1500
Occupation
Engineering Technician
So where I work, the engines go through a few oil changes before getting to the customers, due to "assembly stuff" left over. Want to get any large items out of the engine to not cause damage later on. As as stated I have done these break in changes on all new autos I have ever gotten. This was the first time anything like this has happened. Also i deal with engineers on a daily basis, you would be surprised what most don't know.

But yes as @roaniecowpony stated it is more about what got put in I am concerned about, since could of happened to anyone. I am just the person who it happened to.

RocknJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Lol its not the engineers that make the decisions like this one. Its the penny pinchers that don't want to pay for proper break in maitnence and thus they make it longer than it should be. Does it work? For the most part yes, is it the best for your engine? Absolutely not. Any engine builder worth their salt will tell you to change the oil early and frequently as metal gets introduced as parts bed in that's just a fact.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
So I did a break in oil change ....

So this morning driving it to work, it started to lose power, oil pressure was around 35psi, then it shut off ....

I have a theory it was not motor oil in the jug, but here is what I purchased. I just hope someone will cover the cost if it is major. I have not even made the first payment on it yet.

This is a very bad situation for you, Sorry to say it, but that's the truth.

Be SURE you have your receipt. Be SURE you put that jug away somewhere, preferably in another sealed container. Be SURE you call a lawyer TODAY.

Jeep isn't going to cover a ruined motor because you put the wrong fluid in it. The seller of the product will likely not take responsibility, so you're left to sue Pennzoil.

I'd also go back to where you bought it, and see if there are other jugs from the same lot, purchase them, see what you've got.
Bought the oil like 4 months ago while I was waiting for the jeep to show up, so no receipt. Also the jug now has the old oil in it.....
....I can maybe go through insurance....
Folks who don't change their oil at 500 miles are gonna create a dog pile. But whether it's at 5000 miles or 15,000, you ought to be able to change your own oil, if you do it right, without a problem.

But, with four months between the purchase and the use, and with no receipt for the purchase showing what retailer it came from, even if it turns out that what was in the jug was hippopotamus piss instead of oil, I'm afraid you're going to be absolutely SOL when it comes to trying to make any kind of reimbursable claim.

If you'd VERY RECENTLY bought the oil from a major retailer, and had the paper trail receipt, and had an oil analysis that showed it's not oil, you might *possibly maybe* with the help of a lawyer be able to make a claim against the retailer stick.

Four months later, no receipt? Not a snowball's chance man, sorry.

Maybe an insurance claim. Try your agent. But claims resulting from damage when you do your own work are a mixed bag.

We're gathered here to mourn the loss of @TCorgard82's Jeep. Sorry man. I feel for you. Makes me sick to my stomach. :(

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Everyone always thinks they know better than the engineers that design these engines. I always just stick to the manufacturer's recommended scheduled maintenance and use OEM parts and fluids. If you're that convinced that the engineers don't know what they're doing and only you have a magic formula for making the engine last longer, just shop around around for the best price on an extended warranty and drive stress free.

His changing of the oil at 500 miles isn't really pertinent to the situation, since he could have put in the very same fluid (oil?) when the OCI light came on, and changing oil at 500 miles, in itself, hurts nothing and is no cause for denying or voiding warranty.

The OP used an oil that was labeled as meeting the spec for his Jeep. This could have happened to many people here that might be using a particular oil for the first time or just didn't notice the color in the dark or some situation.

I think one avenue for the OP is to sue the store and Pennzoil in small claims court. He has found the receipt now. I think he can convince a jury or judge that it's reasonable to expect the jug contained the proper oil as it was marked. The limit of small claims court is about what this might cost.

Sponsored

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
I'll put a motor in it for you for $1500 bucks. Rubitrux down here in NC has take-off engines for $2599 with free shipping.
This offer may be your best option.

Obviously wait back to hear what the dealer finds out first.

Who knows, maybe it's completely unrelated to oil change and it's some electrical gremlin.

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
His changing of the oil at 500 miles isn't really pertinent to the situation, since he could have put in the very same fluid (oil?) when the OCI light came on, and changing oil at 500 miles, in itself, hurts nothing and is no cause for denying or voiding warranty.

The OP used an oil that was labeled as meeting the spec for his Jeep. This could have happened to many people here that might be using a particular oil for the first time or just didn't notice the color in the dark or some situation.

I think one avenue for the OP is to sue the store and Pennzoil in small claims court. He has found the receipt now. I think he can convince a jury or judge that it's reasonable to expect the jug contained the proper oil as it was marked. The limit of small claims court is about what this might cost.
you are correct why it was changed at 500 miles may not be pertinent to the problem but as I stated I was curious as to why. A few people have answered that and now I have an understanding as to why.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator Gladiator Sport S, '22 Gobi JLR
This is why I have the dealer do my oil changes. If they fuck something up it's documented and everything is on their end. I probably wouldn't have noticed the color honestly because I don't do my own oil. I plan to on my next change for my JT in October. If my brother has it by then I'll either show him how to or he can take it to the dealer. I like t have all my maintenance documented there though so I don't get into a quagmire like this.

It's been 4 months so whomever said sue the store, lol. Good luck trying to get anyone to take the case with a long gap like that. You can never prove you got it from the store like that. I hope it ends up well but I think OP will be on his own dime for this. Maybe you'll get lucky and there's no long-term damage done.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
So when FCA says their ATF is a lifetime fluid w/ no service necessary I guess you should believe them?
Not me!!!

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Lol its not the engineers that make the decisions like this one. Its the penny pinchers that don't want to pay for proper break in maintenance and thus they make it longer than it should be. Does it work? For the most part yes, is it the best for your engine? Absolutely not. Any engine builder worth their salt will tell you to change the oil early and frequently as metal gets introduced as parts bed in that's just a fact.
💯
Sponsored