First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I've removed the caps from many jugs of Pennzoil Platinum without the seal ring breaking loose. Walmart is notorious for taking returns on motor oil. Any POS person could put whatever they want in a jug and return it with no questions and it does happen. Oil filter swapping is also an issue at Walmart. You have to check the box to make sure you have the right one. That's not easy with a cartridge filter.

I've been buying oil and filters at Walmart for decades, but will likely order from Amazon now so I know that it's coming from a warehouse.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
TCorgard82

TCorgard82

First Name
Thor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sport S 2 door, 2014 Ram 1500
Occupation
Engineering Technician
Definitely keep that bottle and the receipt.

Out of curiosity, is there a date of manufacture or batch number on the bottle? Might help narrow down the problem. Or help inform the manufacturer of a specific issue with that batch.

And yeah, I’ll agree with the other folks. Pink sounds like transmission fluid.
as stated no reciept, and really pink, not the deep color normal transmission fluid is. No batch number.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Damn, that's a shame to hear of this, hell, ,might even be coolant, the JL OAT coolant has a pinkish/purple color. Sure hope you get some good news, but wow, just bummin for you!

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
That sucks man. You are not driving the jeep right? I wouldn't even touch it. Until it is all clarified.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Did you happen to notice any smoke after that oil change?

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately, by not following the recommended maintenance schedule and you don’t have a receipt for what you purchased, I think you’re going to be on the hook for any repairs.

There is no reason to change the oil at 500 mi. While under warranty, always follow the maintenance schedule & use the fluids specified by the manufacturer. Outside of warranty, do whatever you want. Good luck.
Changing the oil early does not in and of itself void or cause issues with the warranty--there is no minimum oil change interval listed, but there is a maximum interval.

The oil he chose meets the recommended requirements by the OEM, it just seems some lowlife may have filled it with used oil and returned it to be sold as new.

There are plenty of reasons to change the oil early and as many arguments why it does not matter.

OP
OP
TCorgard82

TCorgard82

First Name
Thor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Technician
So no smoke or anything, just started to loose power had low oil pressure, no oil light or check engine light. The coolant in Jeep to me looks more purple. Not driving it, it is sitting at dealer after being towed. And dug into my plastic bag storage, and found the receipt from Jan 3rd this year, when I bought the filter and oil.

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
Sucks to hear but I wouldnt sweat it just yet. There is lubricating qualitys in ATF if thats even what it is. There is no sensor in the engine that would pick it up.

Now if its was antifreeze you would have low oil pressure and I'm sure you would have heard some clattering in the valve train and probably the rods rattling too.

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I'm pretty sure no modern vehicles come with "Break-IN" oil. Been using OW-20 for years now in my Tacoma, and now in the Jeep. Never saw pink oil. Hope you get it figured out.

G.
True; there has not been "break-in" oil in engines now for decades. There was some chatter about Mazda and potentially Toyota adding extra moly to the oil to aid in reducing wear during break-in, but that has not been proven one way or the other.

OP
OP
TCorgard82

TCorgard82

First Name
Thor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Technician
Sucks to hear but I wouldnt sweat it just yet. There is lubricating qualitys in ATF if thats even what it is. There is no sensor in the engine that would pick it up.

Now if its was antifreeze you would have low oil pressure and I'm sure you would have heard some clattering in the valve train.
no engine noises or anything, but my guess it was antifreeze swapped out. Dealer said they will test it. Just have to wait and see what happens. Maybe caught it soon enough a flush and new oil will fix it. and means my first oil change under Jeep Wave will be used.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
Don’t even mention anything about you putting oil in the Jeep to the dealer or doing an oil change. Let the dealer figure things out without you guiding them to a reason why it’s not a warranty issue. I’m gonna guess it’s a funky sensor that ended up cutting power to the engine for some reason.

Just go look at another new bottle of the same oil and see if it’s the same color. That should end speculation of someone going thru the trouble of refilling the jug with bad oil.

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
Another reason I’ve moved to Mobil 1. Got the seal on the cap and an additional tin seal to peel off. Some people are such low life’s that way.
I was about to say, Mobil 1 and castrol have the foil on the 4-5 quart jugs, so does quakerstate when last I used it. The only oil I’ve used without it has been amsoil. Seems a little without it.
Sponsored