First Name
Thor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sport S 2 door, 2014 Ram 1500
Occupation
Engineering Technician
So insurance covered the repairs. Came out to $8800 plus my deductible. Long block on order, they just dunno when it will arrive.
Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

Wow that is great in the end Thor. Who is your insurance company? Sounds like a good one.

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
Wow that is great in the end Thor. Who is your insurance company? Sounds like a good one.
Actually I think most insurance policies would cover this. As someone pointed out, no different than a diesel vs. gas mixup. Accidental damage to a vehicle is covered.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
State Farm, and no I did not get Jake as my person.
I looked thru the post. Did you ever find out what was in the jug? Sorry to hear all this.

Sponsored

AMT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T
So insurance covered the repairs. Came out to $8800 plus my deductible. Long block on order, they just dunno when it will arrive.
Been keeping up with your sitchy-ation. Whole thing sucks but glad it sounds like it will work out. Hopefully your deductible isn't too bad.

OP
OP
TCorgard82

TCorgard82

First Name
Thor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Technician
I looked thru the post. Did you ever find out what was in the jug? Sorry to hear all this.
not yet, I will find out from the service advisor soon
Been keeping up with your sitchy-ation. Whole thing sucks but glad it sounds like it will work out. Hopefully your deductible isn't too bad.
only $500

1BadManVan

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara/2018 Durango R/T
Occupation
Locomotive Engineer
Well atleast insurance stepped up and covered this for you. I wouldn’t be deterred from doing your own changes in the future though, things happen.

I would suggest an oil that also has the foil seal under the cap. After many hours of reading through oil forums. One of the best 0w20 oils you can get off the shelf is Mobil 1 Ep 0w20. 70% PAO (Group iv oil which is basically unheard of now in most synthetics) and it’s got the extra foil seal to help know it wasn’t tampered with.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TCorgard82

TCorgard82

First Name
Thor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Technician
Well atleast insurance stepped up and covered this for you. I wouldn’t be deterred from doing your own changes in the future though, things happen.

I would suggest an oil that also has the foil seal under the cap. After many hours of reading through oil forums. One of the best 0w20 oils you can get off the shelf is Mobil 1 Ep 0w20. 70% PAO (Group iv oil which is basically unheard of now in most synthetics) and it’s got the extra foil seal to help know it wasn’t tampered with.
Been doing oil changes since I was 15 so well over 20 years, this is only the second time I have had an issue. This was by far the most serious. But both times was getting products from Walmart. So from here on out will be parts stores only.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Been doing oil changes since I was 15 so well over 20 years, this is only the second time I have had an issue. This was by far the most serious. But both times was getting products from Walmart. So from here on out will be parts stores only.
Very curious as to what was in the sealed jug. 🤔

Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
I am in no way a fan of Walmart but believe this thing could happen nearly anywhere. Places like Advance & Autozone are pretty liberal with their return policies.

QwikKotaTx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dodge Dakota T56, 2015 Hemi Ram
This is a crazy story. Very sorry to hear OP. I am not sure if you mentioned it but did the cap make that "crack" sound when you opened it? Breaking the ring seal, etc?

OP
OP
TCorgard82

TCorgard82

First Name
Thor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Technician
This is a crazy story. Very sorry to hear OP. I am not sure if you mentioned it but did the cap make that "crack" sound when you opened it? Breaking the ring seal, etc?
yes it made the crack sound, but have since learned there are ways to open the cap and have seal remain good. On a side Note Engine arrived at dealer Monday,

Trailrated

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' JL Willys 2.0T
yes it made the crack sound, but have since learned there are ways to open the cap and have seal remain good. On a side Note Engine arrived at dealer Monday,
What is this "crack sound" you speak of? You mean removing the oil cap is not as simple as unscrewing it??

Also, after your jeep is fixed I'd trade that thing in and move on. It ain't never gonna be same.

OP
OP
TCorgard82

TCorgard82

First Name
Thor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Technician
What is this "crack sound" you speak of? You mean removing the oil cap is not as simple as unscrewing it??

Also, after your jeep is fixed I'd trade that thing in and move on. It ain't never gonna be same.
the crack sound of when the cap separate from the lower ring.
Sponsored