Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
How is an engine part not covered by warranty?
This is my thought as well. If the OP put the right oil in, in the right amount, and without busting the oil cooler housing, there's no way a warranty claim against the engine should be denied.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
A spun bearing is almost unheard of in a factory new engine. If it wasn't seated correctly, they would have discovered it before the Jeep left the factory. A spun bearing happens when there is a loss of lubrication between the bearing surface and the crankshaft.

Sorry to hear this. Any word on the Used Oil Analysis?

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Damn, that really sucks, don't know if getting @JeepCares involved will help, but I would definitely try to move this up the ladder. At least you've got some options earlier in this thread if you do need to replace the motor on your coin.

ALK

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler
Unfortunately, going to the dealer or a Certified Mechanic is the safest route for fluid changes, they just offer a level of protection that DYI maintenance can't offer.
Sorry for your crappy situation, sucks!!

OP
OP
TCorgard82

TCorgard82

First Name
Thor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sport S 2 door, 2014 Ram 1500
Occupation
Engineering Technician
Any thoughts on contacting Pennzoil about the situation.
I will wait and see how insurance pans out, then will contact a lawyer to go after walmart, and maybe Pennzoil

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Because it was not oil that was put in is why it was denied. I have not heard from dealer what it was that was in that jug of "motor oil"
You may have to go after Pennzoil or the store where purchased. It will be interesting to see what the testing shows. The exact composition of the oil will not be revealed by a UOA, but will give some clues about what it is.

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
Because it was not oil that was put in is why it was denied. I have not heard from dealer what it was that was in that jug of "motor oil"
That's pretty crazy. I'm real curious to hear what they say came out of that jug, and if it makes sense or not. Sucks to have to be dealing with that.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
Damn.

Certainly pursue all the avenues available.

Insurance claim seems like your best shot at this point.

A lawyer and a claim against the retailer or Penzoil without a receipt and recent purchase, well, that's pretty long odds:

"4th and long, 6 seconds on the clock"

or

"0 and 2 count, 2 outs, nobody on, bottom of the 9th"

Realistically, I think your most likely bet to get your jeep up and running again is gonna be one of those Rubtrux long blocks, installed by a 3rd party mechanic.

1BadManVan

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara/2018 Durango R/T
Occupation
Locomotive Engineer
Damn.

A lawyer and a claim against the retailer or Penzoil without a receipt and recent purchase, well, that's pretty long odds:

or

Realistically, I think your most likely bet to get your jeep up and running again is gonna be one of those Rubtrux long blocks, installed by a 3rd party mechanic.
I believe he said he did track down the receipt for it atleast.

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
Damn.

or

Disagree. I thought he had the receipt? If not, if he used a credit card there's the statement, plus most retailers transmit detailed data now to the card companies on what items were purchased, which he could possibly subpoena in advance of a claim to obtain proof of exactly what was purchased.

Civil cases are a preponderance of the evidence (more likely than not). The retailer will have zero controverting evidence to suggest that his testimony is somehow false. And it's hard to impeach his credibility when the vehicle was so new. It was the first oil change and only at 500 miles. There's no prior oil change that could be blamed. The defendants would have to argue that he either intentionally poured non-oil into his engine to damage a brand new Jeep at 500 miles (which would be totally insane); that he should have known something was wrong (not likely when it was sold as 0w-20 and he was entitled to rely upon the product label); or that he's confused and he poured some other oil in when he thought it was the oil he purchased (refuted by his testimony and the defendants will have no evidence to the contrary).

Not a slam dunk for sure but far from a long shot.

Moreover, the cost of repairing the engine may be within his jurisdiction's small claims court, which would further be to his advantage if he shows up and explains what happened, armed with citations to the case law in his state on product liability law.
Sponsored

Last edited: