Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
That review is pretty suspect though considering what people are stating here on the forums...see this thread:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ier-and-just-as-thirsty-slow-as-the-jk.15313/
Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I trust Jeep and their reputation over a single review that calls a Jeep a car and may have other motivations. I also trust that my personal experience in that my JLUR feels lighter and gets better mileage than any of my past three JKU’s and that’s not just because the windshield is slanted back seven degrees. It’s wider and taller with larger tires than I had on my JKU’s, so reduced weight has to be a factor.
Sponsored

OP
OP
American Jeeper

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That review is off...plenty of MPG claims and youtube drag videos prove otherwise...wonder how they came to those somewhat counter intuitive conclusions.
YouTube drag videos are showing what exactly?

Tar Heel Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys Sport, JT Mojave, Sold JLU Sport S
Occupation
Cigar & IPA Snob
"Jeep offers a soft top and power top with removable side windows"

I think most would agree ditching the zippers is a big improvement. The time to remove and put on the side windows has improved a lot as well as the the ease of taking down the soft top has increased.

HighDeaf1080p

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 2dr Sting Gray
Perhaps the biggest proof that the JL is leaps and bounds above the JK...constant stream of JK owners coming to this forum to take pot shots at it, out of insecurity and inferiority complexes.

OP
OP
American Jeeper

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Perhaps the biggest proof that the JL is leaps and bounds above the JK...constant stream of JK owners coming to this forum to take pot shots at it, out of insecurity and inferiority complexes.
It’s an interesting dynamic that reminds me of political party infighting. It’s not like it’s Wrangler vs. Land Cruiser or something like that, and even then wave to them on trails because they are getting out and enjoying things just with a different perspective. JL, JK, YJ, or whatever we are all part of the Jeep family with a great legacy and history, and I just appreciate the evolution of the brand.

Sponsored

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
It’s an interesting dynamic that reminds me of political party infighting. It’s not like it’s Wrangler vs. Land Cruiser or something like that, and even then wave to them on trails because they are getting out and enjoying things just with a different perspective. JL, JK, YJ, or whatever we are all part of the Jeep family with a great legacy and history, and I just appreciate the evolution of the brand.
Most enthusiast forums are like that...same with my M3s...it was always the "last real M3"...lol. When they replaced the e90 M3 with a V8 everyone complained about the "last V8"...like WTF, that was the FIRST M3 with a V8...it had an inline 6 the 2 generations before, and a 4 cylinder prior...lolol.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
YouTube drag videos are showing what exactly?
Oh, just JK and JL side by side. So it seems odd that one C&D review finding the JL weighs more, gets the same MPG, and is about the same speed.

Like you, I'd trust all the feedback here and what I drive. That C&D review just comes to a lot of conclusions no one else came to. So I wouldn't site that in our forum here as a good reference.

OP
OP
American Jeeper

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Most enthusiast forums are like that...same with my M3s...it was always the "last real M3"...lol. When they replaced the e90 M3 with a V8 everyone complained about the "last V8"...like WTF, that was the FIRST M3 with a V8...it had an inline 6 the 2 generations before, and a 4 cylinder prior...lolol.
I have noticed that with BMW forums as well. Man I wanted an M3 for a long time, still wouldn’t mind one. 335i x-drive isn’t quite that but a fun little car for for my wife.

OP
OP
American Jeeper

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
"Jeep offers a soft top and power top with removable side windows"

I think most would agree ditching the zippers is a big improvement. The time to remove and put on the side windows has improved a lot as well as the the ease of taking down the soft top has increased.
I have heard the zippers were a big pain. Do you run a soft top all year?

Sponsored

OP
OP
American Jeeper

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. No reason for a hardtop in NC
Nice, the Jeep heaters work pretty well without a top at all, so I am sure it is just great. I may pull the trigger on a fastback top at some point.

OP
OP
American Jeeper

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Some of these could easily be considered negatives for those that want to modify their vehicles for more serious trail use....

From thinner frames (to save weight for EPA requirements) to thinner windshields, hoods and doors. Then there's the horrible "autopark" system that keeps one from being able to move the Jeep under certain circumstances that one will often encounter on the trail...let alone in normal use. There's CAD on the front axle. Huge step backwards...but again, driven by government requirements to get better mileage. Two battery system....the starting battery of which doesn't give you any indication of charge status....also a problem for a trail rig. Questionable hydraulic/electronic steering....can you add ram assist to this set up without setting off some major computer problems? A more complicated lighting/wiring system for pulling the fenders than the JK, etc..

I dunno....the biggest plus I see on the JL is the fact that Jeep finally "heard the pop" and put an actual A pillar in the factory roll cage so you don't have to yank it and build one....or add to the factory one with a hokey staunchion style A pillar set up. It's got better exterior and interior styling and room... The axles *appear* to be better in most ways (slightly smaller rings shouldn't be a big reliability issue)...though the decision to add in the worst front axle design out there (CAD) is puzzling. You can actually fit 37s without lifting if you're willing to cut.....nice low CoG....but 16" of frame height on 37s at road pressure and not having the undercarriage flush with those frame rails is a major fail. It more likely needs a flush belly with 18" of height on the Unlimiteds just due to the WB.
I agree that “performance” or outperforming may mean one thing to one and a completely different to another. Lighter isn’t always better and if we cared that much then we wouldn’t be putting all this heavy armor and bumpers all over our rigs. I do think that Jeep was smart (for the most part) about where they saved weight. Doors make sense because they are off half the time anyway and aren’t “structural” anyway. Stronger and lighter alloys make sense such as in the tailgate.

The suspension of the JL seems like it had some thought put into it but all the electronics are more chances for failure. As far as clearance, the JKU was a belly-dragger and I can attest that the JLU is as bad and tough to maneuver in tight corners. That is the tradeoff for climbing steeper grades and I guess I’ll just have to lift it up a bit higher! I do wonder what the weak point will end up being with these new axles, and hopefully I won’t be one to find out first-hand.

The windshield and roll cage are a win along with styling, which is opinion of course. Overall I believe did a good job progressing the Wrangler to the next generation, keeping the heritage and styling cues, and balancing the pressures of safety, epa, tech, mall crawlers, and enthusiasts who enjoy their Jeeps off road.

OP
OP
American Jeeper

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
We all recognize that the JK is still a great Jeep as well and this thread has brought to light many of the ways the JK “outperforms” the JL. Besides what has already been mentioned, is there anything else that sticks out?

HighDeaf1080p

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 2dr Sting Gray
Aftermarket support for the JK, for now, is second to no other vehicle I know of. For the JL (and particularly the 2 door) its pathetic so far.
Sponsored