50 ways the JL outperforms the JK

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
IMO, over the years, the Wrangler (JK and JL) has become more "civilized" in terms of creature comforts, likely a result of demographics analysis. The optioned-out models that so many have purchased seem to bear that out. However, the recreational and off-road capabilities have also advanced significantly.
Sponsored

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
And donā€™t forget side air bags are now standard. The JK charged extra for it, which is weird for a safety feature.

OP
OP
American Jeeper

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
I had a '07 JK and a '13 JK, as well as various Cherokees in the past(With the 4.0, those were my fav). I love my 18' JL thus far. I will admit there is a pucker factor in regards to reliability, but time will tell. Anyway, my JKs overall were inferior to my JL for sure with a few exceptions;

Can we all agree that ESS is so NOT a damned positive. It adds major complexity that shouldn't be there on an offroad vehicle.

I also am not confident in the ZF transmission. Yes time will tell, but not being able to check your tranny fluid, and the changing of same being a super laborious process is so ridiculous, especially because a large majority of Jeep people do their own wrenching.

The electric assisted power steering, again time will tell, has been troublesome in previous Chrysler vehicles. And also again, it adds complexity for an off road vehicle, just more to go wrong. The above mentioned things are all in the name of MPG, which true Jeep people don't care about if it sacrifices reliability.

Just trying to get ya to think realistically here. I certainly hope the JL turns out to be a super reliable vehicle, but anyone who wrenches knows that the more complex the vehicle, the more issues will arise. Hopefully I am wrong.. :)... So far, loving the JL
The ESS is a mixed bag for me, as I know it improves fuel economy and the push button start is nice. I will say it immediately gets turned off when I go off road, but am used to it from other vehicles now.

Some of the tech does make me nervous, but the good thing is a lot of it, including the transmission, has been proven in other vehicles. The smoothness of the ZF and how it changes the Wrangler with the same engine in the JK most recently is worth the downside here, assuming it continues to be reliable.

As you stated, we can all hope that steering and the other issues or complaints with the JL (like that obscene fan), are kept to a minimum and we get to enjoy long term reliability along with more modern enhancements on the road and the trails.

FWB FL

First Name
LArry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL unlimited
Mine did not come with the rear covers for the cargo area to the back seat folded, dang, back to the dealer.
Also any one making mud flaps for the JL Rubicon front fenders yet???, I need them bad.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Mine did not come with the rear covers for the cargo area to the back seat folded, dang, back to the dealer.
Also any one making mud flaps for the JL Rubicon front fenders yet???, I need them bad.
Thatā€™s the leather option only. Cloth seats are just like the JK

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Third brake light on the tire mount is not adjustable. I've tried 6 ways from Sunday to raise that thing and couldn't.
Remove 4 screws, raise it up, reinstall two screws. The bottom two will no longer engage the light bracket but it weighs next to nothing.

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
For anyone interested, here is the list I put together that is referenced in the video. What is interesting to me is how many of these are JK mods, like beefier suspension, big brake kits, breather tubes, bigger tires, etc. OR give consideration to the accommodation of future mods. The JL isnā€™t perfect but Jeep did a lot of things right.

1. The new JL shed over 200 pounds with the use of lighter components and metals like aluminum and magnesium.
  2. The JL has more engine options including an upcoming diesel and rumored hybrid, but the 3.6L Pentastar 6 cylinder and 2L turbo 4 cylinder are available now
  3. The JL has an optional 8 speed automatic transmission, which improves acceleration, which speaking from my experience reduces the negatives from adding larger tires, and helps improve gas mileage over the JK
  4. The Jeep JL gets a reported 18 city and 23 highway (depending on how you drive, you results may vary)
  5. The automatic JL Wrangler Rubicon has an improved crawl ratio of 77.2:1, a 4.7:1 first gear ratio, and a 4.1:1 final drive ratio
  6. Jeep offers a soft top and power top with removable side windows
  7. Hydraulic electronic steering has been added
  8. The Jeep JL unlimited is almost 4ā€ longer than the JK unlimited with an over 2ā€ longer wheelbase
  9. Wider by 1 1/2ā€, the new generation of Dana axles are 8% stronger than previous
  10. The JLā€™s overall track is 2.5ā€ wider, giving it more stability on and off the road
  11. A one foot tighter turning radius
  12. 2 cubic feet more cargo volume than the JK
  13. Folding the rear seats down used to leave you with a gap in the cargo area, but not any more. The JL has a nice cover that levels things out and keeps you from losing smaller items or getting them stuck
  14. No more dust-loving covers on the roll bar as they are now painted
  15. There is a bracket for your washer plug in and fluid line instead of just letting them flop around when the hardtop is off
  16. The rear third brake light is adjustable, so it can be extended to accommodate clearing larger tires like on this Jeep
  17. From stock, the carrier and tailgate are stronger on the JL and can hold up to a 35ā€ spare tire
  18. Built in grab handles in the front and rear
  19. Heated steering wheel
  20. ESS
  21. Bright digital display with more color, visuals and feedback on things like pitch & roll off road, and also expected measurements like tire pressure, gas mileage, and the like
  22. The new infotainment display gives you drag & drop customizable controls that mimic the cell phone functionality we are all used to
  23. Apple CarPlay.
  24. More ruggedized interior similar to a waterproof phone case
  25. Programmable auxiliary switches for adding lights or other accessories requiring power
  26. The doors feel like regular doors when opened and shut because of an added retention bracket
  27. The doors themselves are lighter by 18 pounds in the front and 15 pounds in the rear
  28. Doors have larger cargo nets
  29. Doors have built-in handles for easy removal
  30. Side air bags are standard on the JL
  31. The backs of the front seats have built in molle for accessories (Rubicon)
  32. Rear air vents
  33. Rubiconā€™s fenders are two inches higher from the factory, enabling you to run up to a 35ā€ tire with no lift
  34. JL Rubicons are equipped with 33ā€ BFG KO2, which gain an inch over the JKā€™s factory 32ā€™s
  35. The JL has larger lugs to hold that extra rubber, and brake rotors also have 1ā€ wider diameter in the JL over the JK
  36. Hood latches are beefed up and the wobbly hood-flutter experienced in the JK is now a thing of the past
  37. Standard halogen or available LED headlights
  38. The running lights and turn signals are LED
  39. The 7 grille slits are wider and have built-in mesh to keep more bugs out of the radiator and keep the engine cool
  40. The Rubicon has functional hood vents and all JLā€™s have side vents that also improve engine compartment airflow
  41. Moving around to the back of the Jeep, it has a standard back-up camera with a great position in the center of the spare tire to help visibility on and off the road
  42. The door handles have been upgraded with a pull-style
  43. New key fob gives you proximity access
  44. Jeep has added more external bolts for accessories like lighting
  45. The design and placement of the rock rails and pinch seam underneath doesnā€™t interfere with larger tires like they did on the JK
  46. Much of the undercarriage armor is the same on the JL as the JK, but Jeep relocated some of the more troublesome things that would could get hung up off road like the exhaust, evap, and raised rear track bar
  47. There is stronger transfer case protection (crossmember) which was weak on the JK
  48. Axle breather tubes have been raised on the new JL to keep water out when fording
  49. The oil pan is up higher and the front driveline now disconnects in 2 wheel drive to help with fuel economy
  50. Rear shocks have a wider, more up-and down stance which should help stability and ride
  51. There is a Dana 44 front axle option for the Sahara package
  52. And also an optional 4-high auto in the Sahara, which chooses 2 or 4 wheel drive automatically based on driving conditions
  53. There is a factory winch-ready steel bumper option for the Rubicon, and it can be shortened to a stubby bumper with a few turns of a wrench
  54. Freedom tops are now easier to remove than ever, as Jeep did away with the big screws and you just need to unhinge a few brackets. The storage bag is nicer, too.
  55. Folding windshield
Thanks Jeremy - This was good to list out even though you knew you would get some neg. feedback but you have pointed out the many differences from JK to JL and thats all you were doing !

I owned a YJ and have driven the JK 13,14,15,16 & 2017 and now that I own a JL I see a ton of difference ...not every one great but most are above and beyond the later models

BUT ! ....It took the early models to get to the JL

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
This is good info! - couple of comments

15. There is a bracket for your washer plug in and fluid line instead of just letting them flop around when the hardtop is off This doesn't work when you put the soft top down - there's a flaw in the design.

40. The Rubicon has functional hood vents and all JLā€™s have side vents that also improve engine compartment airflow This is false - The Rubicon vents they are not functional at all. There's plenty of threads and videos proving this.

53. There is a factory winch-ready steel bumper option for the Rubicon, and it can be shortened to a stubby bumper with a few turns of a wrench Factory winch "ready" - you still have to buy the winch mount so it's not 100% ready.

Luvmejeeps

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport. 2004 TJ
My TJ is better than your YJ...:punch: :turkey:

Oops...wrong forum :giggle:

In all seriousness tho as far as "modern" amenities and ride goes on and off road the JL is the best yet. BUT...sometimes i dont want that,and I jump in the TJ for a more classic nostalgic jeep feel and ride. Between the wife and I weve had a CJ5,YJ,TJ(still own 1),JK,KL Trailhawk,and now a JLU(4 dr). Drive what makes ya smile..all the above listed make me smile. :)

Whats one persons con maybe anothers pro. And vice versa

Sponsored

OP
OP
American Jeeper

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Jeremy - This was good to list out even though you knew you would get some neg. feedback but you have pointed out the many differences from JK to JL and thats all you were doing !

I owned a YJ and have driven the JK 13,14,15,16 & 2017 and now that I own a JL I see a ton of difference ...not every one great but most are above and beyond the later models

BUT ! ....It took the early models to get to the JL
And thatā€™s what this is about-the progression of the brand and appreciating all Jeeps and where they are now. I wish I had a few variations of each model all the way back to the first one. It sounds like you have quite a history with them. My first was ā€˜73 Commando.

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
And thatā€™s what this is about-the progression of the brand and appreciating all Jeeps and where they are now. I wish I had a few variations of each model all the way back to the first one. It sounds like you have quite a history with them. My first was ā€˜73 Commando.
It gets in the blood stream I guess

Now the JL can be as rough and rugged as you want it to be and yet you can pull into Valet parking at a nice restaurant .

They have Def come along way

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
A76F42A7-6793-45E6-8AA0-BBA27C666187.jpeg
F1469DD3-97DE-4EF9-BAAA-DE6E7E02FEF7.jpeg
Thereā€™s a little bit of difference between my first vehicle, and my latest ;)

OP
OP
American Jeeper

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This is good info! - couple of comments
Thank you!

Thatā€™s too bad about the soft top-I was unaware but have always had hard tops.

Here is a pic of the vents, which do have small holes and a thin insulation under the hood.

Great point on the bumper. It is a cool looking bumper but kind of a rip that you have to purchase another $250 winch plate when you can get aftermarket bumpers starting at $400-500.

83F1CDA9-C308-4601-9E47-11B4D503FAAB.jpeg
Sponsored