First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
The guy in the driveway who maintains our two jeeps will rotate all 5. I am not going to have a convo with a dealer about it or pay a surcharge.
Sponsored

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Whether it's 20% or 25% doesn't that savings disappear when you buy the five replacement tires instead of just four?
If you do a five tire rotation and buy the same tires as replacement when needed you can keep the best of the old tires as the spare and just buy four tires and switch to a four tire rotation.

jeepken

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392
I prefer a five tire rotation for several reasons:
1) I paid a lot of money for the spare to not use it
2) it allows me to get my next set of tires all matching w/o an odd or unused spare
3) The spare tire is 'aging out' whether I use it or not
4) The tire diameter difference when an unused full tread spare is put on with worn tires can create up to 1-2% diameter diameter difference, which adds loads on the differential, particularly if locked up
5) It extends the life of my set of tires by 25%
These are all of the points for why I've done 5-tire for years. I would also add that I almost always shred a tire on the rocks near the useful life of the set. Once that is replaced I move to 4-tire rotation and only buy 4 tires on the next go around moving back to a 5-tire.

Agent47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito! JLU 2.0T (Built 7/4)
My dealer had no complaints about doing a 5 tire rotation under the Jeep Wave plan with no additional surcharge. FCA pays the dealer $10 to rotate the tires (and $65 for an oil and filter change).

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
4 "30k miles" tires in rotation = 30k miles.
5 "30k miles" tires in rotation = 37,500 miles

you will definitely get more vehicle mileage out of the set of tires if you rotate in the 5th spare.

Sponsored

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Case in point- bought JKUR with factory fresh BFG on the back door and 4 worn- out Duratracs. I was going up in size and wanted the spare to match. Had zero use for that spare. Wear em all out as you go, and get 5 freshies next time.

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Yes it does, but the Jeep’s bluetooth does not collect a TPMS reading from the static tailgate location.

The moment you rotate the spare tire to one of the four corners, the Jeep starts collecting a TPMS reading from it.
You are correct except the TPMS sensors don't use Bluetooth communication. They have their own standard on 433 MHz.

Sorry to be a stickler. :movember:

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
As a person who’s business owns a fleet of vehicles, the answer to this for us is warranty or lack there-of on the tires.

if the tires for the application we’re purchasing for have a mileage warranty, we purchase and rotate 4 because the odometer is how that’s tracked. If the tires don’t have a warranty, we rotate 5.

in jeep world to me that means if you’re running the factory tires or MTs, rotate 5. ATs with warranty, rotate 4 and buy a used spare

Last edited:

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
I do 4 tire. I go through tires fast enough that the spare does not age out and so next go around I just buy 4 tires. Right or wrong - the voices in my head say it is a good thing.

Sponsored

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
thanks for proving my point ???
And mine as well. You do NOT get more mileage out of your tires. You get 20% longer in the time frame before you have to replace them. Which will add more miles to the Odometer, but not the life of the tires.

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I haven't had to decide yet as I just got my JLUR a few weeks ago, but leaning toward just doing 4 also.

I'm perfectly happy with the stock tires so would just look to get the same next time at this point.

And I like having a nice looking spare on the back with a nice looking rim. I don't want some worn tire and used rim hanging on the back.

Hopefully I can get away with buying 4 tires when I need them. But if I can't, not a big deal either. I kind a feel like my cost and/or time savings from not having to deal with that 5th tire will probably offset the extra tire life I'd get by using it.

I do 4 tire. I go through tires fast enough that the spare does not age out and so next go around I just buy 4 tires. Right or wrong - the voices in my head say it is a good thing.

stevepoz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red JLUR
Another 5 tire rotation guy. As others have said, extend mileage between needing to buy new; keeps tires roughly the same size in case I need to use the spare from a locker standpoint. Primarily though, it is because it isn’t wasteful.

To the one poster how asked if it is too late if he only did 4 the first time - I would think it wouldn’t be.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Question for the audience. Is it to late to do a 5 tire rotation if the dealership didn't do it for the first rotation of all brand new tires? Or am I shit out of luck?

FYSA I will be needing an oil change and tire rotation within the next few weeks.
No. It won't be that big of a difference. I'd go ahead and do it.

I go 5 tire for a couple reasons. First, I want to go further between tire purchases. Second, some friends have done a 4 tire rotation and then bought 3 and put an old one on the spare next time around, to save a buck that next time. I don't like that because I don't want an old tire as a new one, or an old worn out tire as a spare. Tires do have a limit to their life span. The time I'm on a remote and rugged trail and need the spare is not the time to have one that's worn out and old. Finally, I might change brands/types of tires or even size, so I don't want the spare being too different.

I usually buy new tires before the old ones are worn out. I like having a decent tread for off-roading. Plus, I can then sell the used tires as they still have a little life left in them, avoiding the disposal fee and recouping anywhere from 75 to 150 bucks. I am pretty sure I sold the original 32" KM's on my JK for about $175. They probably had about 10k left in them before the wear bars would even up with the tread. The guy that bought them got a couple years out of them. He couldn't afford new at the time, so we both got a benefit.

agpthng

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
I took my Wrangler JLU in for it's first complimentary oil change from the dealership that I bough it from and asked for a 5 wheel tire rotation. They charge an extra $10 for the extra wheel. Not the $10 is a lot, but it's the principle of it. Anyway, they proceeded to tell me that it is rare when a customer asks for a 5 wheel rotation. And unless the customer asks for the 5 wheel rotation they only rotate the 4 on the road.

So, my question is what do you all prefer, a 5 wheel tire rotation or a 4 wheel tire rotation and why? Especially, the why.

Thank you in advance.
We try to do a 5 tire rotation every time. Had the same thing happen where we have our tires rotated and we insisted on the 5 tires and in the direction we wanted. Want to make sure we get as much life out of them as possible, all 5 of them.
Sponsored