5 Wheel Rotation vs 4 Wheel Rotation

berb

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito Jeep Wrangler JLU / 2020 Hydroblue Gladiator
I took my Wrangler JLU in for it's first complimentary oil change from the dealership that I bough it from and asked for a 5 wheel tire rotation. They charge an extra $10 for the extra wheel. Not the $10 is a lot, but it's the principle of it. Anyway, they proceeded to tell me that it is rare when a customer asks for a 5 wheel rotation. And unless the customer asks for the 5 wheel rotation they only rotate the 4 on the road.

So, my question is what do you all prefer, a 5 wheel tire rotation or a 4 wheel tire rotation and why? Especially, the why.

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Most vehicles these days don’t come with a spare tire any more so, sure, from that standpoint it makes sense that the dealer would say “it is rare a customer asks for a 5 tire rotation.”

IMHO, their response only highlights how little Jeep dealers understand Wrangler owners.

I take care of all my tire needs at Discount Tire and save myself the aggravation of talking to the Jeep dealer. If you bought your tires at DT, they will do free wheel balancing and 5-tire rotation, no questions asked.

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
Had mine serviced Monday, using one of my "Jeep wave" credits. Requested a 5 tire rotation and got no resistance, no extra charge. For what its worth, my service work is not being done where I bought it.

Left Field

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 RS-SS Camaro, 2021 JLUR392
I prefer a five tire rotation for several reasons:
1) I paid a lot of money for the spare to not use it
2) it allows me to get my next set of tires all matching w/o an odd or unused spare
3) The spare tire is 'aging out' whether I use it or not
4) The tire diameter difference when an unused full tread spare is put on with worn tires can create up to 1-2% diameter diameter difference, which adds loads on the differential, particularly if locked up
5) It extends the life of my set of tires by 25%

Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Discount Tire & America's Tire (same company) have always done a 5 way tire rotation for me at no charge.

Cabojunkie

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Jl
I'm assuming the spare does not have a TPS. What are y'alls work around for that, or do you not give a flying F?

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
My Jeep Wave program involves me waving goodbye every time I drive by the Jeep dealer.
I get it. Same here. What does it say about the dealer when customers do not even come back for "free service"?

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
I prefer a five tire rotation for several reasons:
1) I paid a lot of money for the spare to not use it
2) it allows me to get my next set of tires all matching w/o an odd or unused spare
3) The spare tire is 'aging out' whether I use it or not
4) The tire diameter difference when an unused full tread spare is put on with worn tires can create up to 1-2% diameter diameter difference, which adds loads on the differential, particularly if locked up
5) It extends the life of my set of tires by 25%
I agree with every point here, except the math. One outa 5 is 20%. ;)

My '07 Rubi came with Bridgestone MTs. It was totalled at 80,000 miles, had about 25,000 miles as a toad. It still had three of its original tires on it at the time (two had been replaced due to road hazard damage). Those suckers wore like iron.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I'm assuming the spare does not have a TPS. What are y'alls work around for that, or do you not give a flying F?
Yes it does, but the Jeep’s bluetooth does not collect a TPMS reading from the static tailgate location.

The moment you rotate the spare tire to one of the four corners, the Jeep starts collecting a TPMS reading from it.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase

My '07 Rubi came with Bridgestone MTs. It was totalled at 80,000 miles, had about 25,000 miles as a toad. It still had three of its original tires on it at the time (two had been replaced due to road hazard damage). Those suckers wore like iron.
No, a 25% increase is correct. Going from 5 to 4 would be a 20% reduction.

Cabojunkie

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Jl
Yes it does, but the Jeep’s bluetooth does not collect a TPMS reading from the static tailgate location.

The moment you rotate the spare tire to one of the four corners, the Jeep starts collecting a TPMS reading from it.
Ya learn something new every day!!! Thanks for the info!

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Whether it's 20% or 25% doesn't that savings disappear when you buy the five replacement tires instead of just four?

My service writer didn't question my asking for a five tire rotation. The lug nuts were torqued properly and they added five quarts of oil at the oil change instead of six. I'm sorry that some folks have had bad dealer experiences but I do get tired of reading about it on every other thread that they visit. I don't know about anyone else but I feel better now. :like:

Later,
Johnny
Sponsored