Sponsored

5" uconnect radio...how is this thing THIS bad in 2019?

cmbezln

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
between the volume you can't adjust for an eternity after starting the vehicle, it constantly defaulting to sirius, half volume to full volume being almost indistinguishable....This is by far the worst radio/head unit I've experienced.

Aside from the obvious flaws I'll just have to (apparently) live with, is there ANY way to get the volume in this thing to any reasonable levels? This thing is whisper quiet, using the same bluetooth device as my old radio that blared.
Sponsored

Tylerjcloud92

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport
between the volume you can't adjust for an eternity after starting the vehicle, it constantly defaulting to sirius, half volume to full volume being almost indistinguishable....This is by far the worst radio/head unit I've experienced.

Aside from the obvious flaws I'll just have to (apparently) live with, is there ANY way to get the volume in this thing to any reasonable levels? This thing is whisper quiet, using the same bluetooth device as my old radio that blared.
Mine also loses time

Shotgecko

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door sport
I'm checking almost daily for a new head unit. I've even considered upgrading my Wrangler (for more reasons than just the audio system) because I've been so frustrated.

bgirly49

First Name
Bernadette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018+ Firecracker Red Wrangler Sport JL

I didnt know the 5" was compatible with Sirius.

Sponsored

ParkerP2

First Name
Parker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport
I was thinking the same earlier, it’s horrible. I have the factory sport one (no nav, Sirius, etc.) & I’ve wired head units in before, does anyone have any recommended ones that will fit flush?

OP
OP

cmbezln

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
I didnt know the 5" was compatible with Sirius.
Mine has some kind of satellite radio that i dont use, I just assumed it was sirius xm? Maybe not. I have the gladiator, just for clarification (just here because its practically the same platform as JL)

Kirasdad

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Rubicon
I had a 2018 with the 7” screen. CarPlay NAV apps would fail often, unable to speak hands-free as well. After multiple software upgrades and a head unit replacement, regional warranty group offered to swap my vehicle for a 2019 with 8.4” screen.

NOW, not only does the CarPlay NAV not work, the on board NAV doesn’t work either. Plus, no satellite radio either. Signal refresh from Sirius does nothing. These are known issues per FCA. But, wth, two issues like this for me, with two different model years?

Garbage from FCA.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I had a 2018 with the 7” screen. CarPlay NAV apps would fail often, unable to speak hands-free as well. After multiple software upgrades and a head unit replacement, regional warranty group offered to swap my vehicle for a 2019 with 8.4” screen.

NOW, not only does the CarPlay NAV not work, the on board NAV doesn’t work either. Plus, no satellite radio either. Signal refresh from Sirius does nothing. These are known issues per FCA. But, wth, two issues like this for me, with two different model years?

Garbage from FCA.
WOW they swapped your whole vehicle out just for a stupid radio? Thats pretty good LOL. However These U-connect radios are big pieces of shit. I could wire in a whole new unit manually but I just wonder what features I would lose since the 5" has some settings and light functions that affect the vehicle. I think it would mess something up. I hate that car manufacturers put so much of the specific vehicle info int he head unit.

Kirasdad

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Rubicon
WOW they swapped your whole vehicle out just for a stupid radio? Thats pretty good LOL. However These U-connect radios are big pieces of shit. I could wire in a whole new unit manually but I just wonder what features I would lose since the 5" has some settings and light functions that affect the vehicle. I think it would mess something up. I hate that car manufacturers put so much of the specific vehicle info int he head unit.
I did ask I if they could just upgrade me to a different headunit, but they said no for the very reasons you mentioned. So, I have a 2019 vehicle, with about 1995 audio technology in it.

Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
I find it ironic that Consumer Reports hates Jeeps, but praises UConnect. Jeepers hate UConnect, but praise Jeeps. Just find the contrast between the two funny.

Me personally I've had no issues with my 5' radio. I was hoping the Bluetooth would be great, and so far it has been. I wouldn't expect the world out of a stock base radio. To each their own though.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The 5" radio runs Windows.

No, seriously! It does!

https://news.microsoft.com/2013/05/...cted-efficient-affordable-driving-experience/
https://www.allpar.com/corporate/tech/uconnect.html

It's a relic from Fiat before they purchased Chrysler. They had a deal with Microsoft to make a system called Blue&Me and the Uconnect 5" was made from the leftovers.

The confusing thing about the UConnect 8.4" is how it has at least 4 generations of radio that I can think of. All except the latest run QNX. The current Uconnect 8.4" runs android.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/1/2/14142996/google-android-fiat-chrysler-infotainment-car-touchscreen

I honestly wonder how much it has in common with GM's current generation of radios - those also run Android.

bwright1818

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
While on the subject of 5" screens, is there any way to change the background picture? You'd think that with a color-capable screen, they would have a better default background picture than a black and white, dry, cracked river bed. It's kinda depressing. By the way, maybe you can get a Lemon Law settlement for the way the volume doesn't come down for a long time after starting the car. (I hate that, too.) Could be a safety issue/distracted driving thing. "Distracted driving" is sure a big catch phrase of our time and the do-gooders. You might just be able to pull it off....

Kilroy1941

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator 2020
Still a problem in 2020 JT, radio has been replaced three times, just had a software update they said should fix "everything" Nope, nothing is fixed and a new issue has been added. Jeep cares tells me can't do anything, take it in when it does it...it loses time still, shorts out and newest feature is blacking out for an entire drive. Of course i have taken it when it acts up, im always told " No codes sorry " Guess Jeep doesn't want my money, now to wait for a decent after market radio.
Sponsored