5" UConnect 3 USB stick for music

nunziotocci

First Name
Annunziato
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Husqvarna Svartpilen 701
I've just had my firmware updated (version 1848.24) because my USB stick doesn't work. It still doesn't work.

Based on what I've read online, the max size is 32GB and it must be formatted FAT32. The USB ports are both USB2, I can tell by looking at them. My stick is an 8GB Kingston Data traveler USB3 thumb drive.

Can anybody with the 5" radio share their setup/thoughts?

Note on USB2/3: USB3 has extra pins, but is fully backwards compatible (usually). I plan on trying a USB2 stick later today, but I don't have one handy at the moment.
Sponsored

OP
OP

nunziotocci

First Name
Annunziato
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Figured it out.

I tried a different drive, but switched from MBR to GPT and got the USB Error much more reliably. I switched back to MBR on the new stick (a 32GB Silicon Power) and it worked immediately.

YellOhJL

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Network Engineer
I have used a 150GB USB powered hard drive without issue, so I would not expect a 32GB limit. Pretty sure it was FAT32.

OP
OP

nunziotocci

First Name
Annunziato
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have used a 150GB USB powered hard drive without issue, so I would not expect a 32GB limit. Pretty sure it was FAT32.
I have read a few people saying they have drives that large, but I don't have that much music so I'm sticking with the 32GB for now.

Vahdettin

First Name
Vahdettin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Can I clarify something? I see this misconception about FAT32 limits often. The "32" has nothing to do with size limits. FAT32 can support drives up to 2 terabytes. The main limiting factor of FAT32 is that a single file can be 4GB maximum and music files are far smaller than that so it's not really going to be an issue in this case.

The SSD I use is 150GB (all my music is in FLAC so they're big files and I need it) and it worked fine with the original 5" and it works perfectly with the 7" I upgraded to. The biggest issue I've found is caused by the total number of music files. Anything over 5000 really slows the indexing down when the ignition is first turned on but under 5000 works much better. That's an issue with the Uconnect software, not FAT32 or the type of drive.

Sponsored

OP
OP

nunziotocci

First Name
Annunziato
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can I clarify something? I see this misconception about FAT32 limits often. The "32" has nothing to do with size limits. FAT32 can support drives up to 2 terabytes. The main limiting factor of FAT32 is that a single file can be 4GB maximum and music files are far smaller than that so it's not really going to be an issue in this case.

The SSD I use is 150GB (all my music is in FLAC so they're big files and I need it) and it worked fine with the original 5" and it works perfectly with the 7" I upgraded to. The biggest issue I've found is caused by the total number of music files. Anything over 5000 really slows the indexing down when the ignition is first turned on but under 5000 works much better. That's an issue with the Uconnect software, not FAT32 or the type of drive.
Ah yes. I'm a tech professional, so I know this. However, I didn't realize that could be where people are getting the size limit from. I just checked the manual again and it doesn't say anything about a size limit.

Vahdettin

First Name
Vahdettin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Ah yes. I'm a tech professional, so I know this. However, I didn't realize that could be where people are getting the size limit from. I just checked the manual again and it doesn't say anything about a size limit.
Many people have posted that Jeep customer service is the source of the size limit.
Sponsored