Sponsored

5 tires rotation

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
At what milage is the wear too uneven to do a 5 tired rotation?
Sponsored

LowCountry

First Name
allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet Sport
you could do a rotation anytime, just move your best tires to the front and when you think the wear has evened out then start a standard 5 tire rotation

aprez27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I just did one at 15,000. Not ideal, but I did it anyway.

Sponsored

OP
OP
grady2hig

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got 5 tire rotation today. Gave them a diagram. the spare now has scuff marks on the side so I'm assuming they didn't follow my diagram...as thats probably the front passenger tire.

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I got 5 tire rotation today. Gave them a diagram. the spare now has scuff marks on the side so I'm assuming they didn't follow my diagram...as thats probably the front passenger tire.
I have tried the diagram before, but like you they didn't understand/follow it. Now I chalk each tire with the position it goes on to. Easy to check that they have done it correctly and easier for the tech to follow.

OP
OP
grady2hig

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have tried the diagram before, but like you they didn't understand/follow it. Now I chalk each tire with the position it goes on to. Easy to check that they have done it correctly and easier for the tech to follow.

good idea. i possibly could have scuffed the drivers front when parking in lots with those grass/tree areas with curves. so im not 100% sure.

MartyParty

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport, Ocean Blue
Seems like tire rotations and oil changes go hand-in-hand on these vehicles (about 6k)...and all I have are the stock all-terrain 245’s. I also drive myself nuts trying to ‘feel out’ the tread cupping and rotate accordingly.

I do enjoy performing this myself in the gee-raj...helps me learn things/know where tools are n stuff.

Sponsored

jdthird

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
I just had the dealer do my first oil change and rotation via the Wave program, and was disappointed when I got home and looked under the spare tire cover that it was still new, they only did a 4 wheel rotation... Wish I had checked at the dealer. I had stupidly assumed they'd just do the 5 tire rotation since most people I know around the country said their dealers did that by default...

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I rotate the tires when I change the oil. Mileage is low on mine so I normally do service based on time not miles (minimum once a year). That said, I'm typically around the 5K mile range for rotations and oil changes.
I also do 5 tires. It increases tread life a bit, keeps all 5 times similar, and makes the process easier when you're doing your own.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I just had the dealer do my first oil change and rotation via the Wave program, and was disappointed when I got home and looked under the spare tire cover that it was still new, they only did a 4 wheel rotation... Wish I had checked at the dealer. I had stupidly assumed they'd just do the 5 tire rotation since most people I know around the country said their dealers did that by default...
Check torque on your lug nuts, if the dealers don't even know how much oil this JL takes they also might not know that the torque on the lug nuts has been upped from the JKs 85 ft pounds to the larger lug JLs 130 ft pounds.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I solve all of these problems by doing my own oil changes and tire rotations. If you think taking it to the dealer means you'll get exceptional service you are sorely mistaken. I have bead locks so I mount my own tires too.

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
When I have the dealer do the 5-tire rotation I use a chalk marker and put the position that the tire is destined to on the sidewall. This makes it easier for the technician than looking at a diagram and gives you the visual clues to check to make sure they were done correctly.

For the OP ... it is not too late with your low mileage. Just move the spare to the FR and put that tire on the spare tire carrier. Carry on with 5-tire rotation on your next service.

p.s. I'd include an image of the rotation pattern I use, but not sure how to upload pictures on this site.
Sponsored