Sponsored

5 tire rotation: why would the spare go to the rear and not the front with the FAD?

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Sorry to make another thread on this, but I'm getting ready to do a 1500 mile trip in the Jeep this weekend and my Patagonias now have about 3500 miles on them, so figure I should rotate them before my trip. All the 5-tire rotation diagrams on here suggest the following:
Jeep Wrangler JL 5 tire rotation: why would the spare go to the rear and not the front with the FAD? 54CD352A-80F4-406E-95C6-08C72B40065D

For RWD road driving would it not make more sense to put the unworn spare on the front, where the slight diameter difference with the opposite side tire will not bind up the active rear diff but instead be on the axle that isn't driven and has the FAD disconnected? Logically this seems to be what would make sense to me, but is there a reason I'm not aware of as to why the spare goes on the rear?
Sponsored

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
As long as you pick a pattern and stick with it, I don't see an issue.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
I suspect that this gives you the best traction possible on the axle with the highest probability of being powered. My Jeep while doing a lot of off-roading, does spend most of it's time in 2wd. Thus the least worn tire goes on the rear.

The purpose of rotating often is to ensure not only the tire tread wear but the tire diameters are staying pretty consistently even. With frequent and adequate rotations, your spare should be able to be put literally anywhere. As long as you are regular and consistent, your rotation pattern should not much matter.

Jay

Sponsored

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
As mnjeeper said, as long as you do the same rotation every time it should be fine.

DMentdJL

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Wrangler Rubicon
NEVER UNDERSTOOD HOW A PERSON NEVER ROTATES THEIR SPARE ON A JEEP...
Sponsored