First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 03 Silverado, 88 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Which specific truck did it come out of?

OP
OP
TexasSRT

TexasSRT

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Helicopter Mechanic
Which specific truck did it come out of?
2019 Dodge Ram 1500, a car engine out of a charger or challenger would have been easier but I couldnā€™t source one that new and I wanted to get the same year or newer to keep it legal. The A/C compressor and alternator location were the problem. I had bought an intake manifold from a Jeep Grand Cherokee but no way I clocked the throttle body would work. I ended up having a machine shop cut me a spacer so I could drill and tap the throttle body in the only position that would work. I could have used an Edelbrock intake manifold which would have solved all problems with that since the throttle body is higher. I didnā€™t feel like spending another $1000 plus I was trying to see how cheap I could do it. The A/C compressor was shaving a corner off so it wouldnā€™t contact the steering gear.

tatarin

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB Mojito Sky One-Touch, 2015 Lexus RX350F-sport, 2005 Camry SE
Vehicle Showcase
How does the ECU tuning work? Are you sending it out or something else?

OP
OP
TexasSRT

TexasSRT

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Helicopter Mechanic
How does the ECU tuning work? Are you sending it out or something else?
No, itā€™s included in the package, once you pull batteries you mail the PCM back to Dakota Customs. They say it takes 48-72 hours then they overnight it to you. Two things to consider, USPS doesnā€™t overnight to Blackhawk, SD, itā€™s two day shipping at best, secondly if a weekend falls in the timeline add an additional 48 hours. I think it took 9 days total counting the day I shipped it and the day I received it.

Sponsored

TrailScooter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Jt, 91 F1504x4 and so on...
I think we all can imagine the pro's:rock:, any significant con's?

OP
OP
TexasSRT

TexasSRT

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Helicopter Mechanic
I think we all can imagine the pro's:rock:, any significant con's?
My back up sensors no longer work (although blind spot monitoring works fine) and remote start acts as its low on fuel (starts for a few seconds and shuts off). They are supposedly working through the programming with Z Automotive to find the issue between the PCM and Body Module. They donā€™t have a good track record on figuring programming issues out considering they out source all tuning but we shall see.

TrailScooter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Jt, 91 F1504x4 and so on...
My back up sensors no longer work (although blind spot monitoring works fine) and remote start acts as its low on fuel (starts for a few seconds and shuts off). They are supposedly working through the programming with Z Automotive to find the issue between the PCM and Body Module. They donā€™t have a good track record on figuring programming issues out considering they out source all tuning but we shall see.
Interesting in a very confusing sort of way. These things are so complex.

You are obviously a braver man than I. I bought a tazer jl mini for my jt... after opening the box and seeing the "we take absolutely no responsibility for anything" warning on the box flap(way to stand behind your product, dude.), I've been too chicken to plug it in...

Dunno, maybe I'm just timid. I've never pulled the tag of a mattress, ran at the pool, tugged on Supermans cape or ordered at subway.:blush:

OP
OP
TexasSRT

TexasSRT

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Helicopter Mechanic

You are obviously a braver man than I. I bought a tazer jl mini for my jt... after opening the box and seeing the "we take absolutely no responsibility for anything" warning on the box flap(way to stand behind your product, dude.), I've been too chicken to plug it in...

Dunno, maybe I'm just timid. I've never pulled the tag of a mattress, ran at the pool, tugged on Supermans cape or ordered at subway.:blush:
Ha ha, I see you donā€™t like living dangerously. I had a Tazer JL on my Jeep since new with no issues. I unmarried it and sold it when I ordered the kit since you have to use theirs. They have programming added to the Tazer to kill the check engine error codes for transmitting wrong data to the body control module (which it did). But the Tazer in itself is a great tool in my book.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
@TexasSRT

are you using the stock jl radiator or did you upgrade it. if stock did you add an aux fan. did you have to relocate the t case. look pretty good and it doent look like its any worse of a tight fit compared to a 3.6 motor.

Sponsored

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6

Worth reading...
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/stolen-2020-jlud.54897/post-1191473
Plus the dealer can tell if you had one installed.

OP
OP
TexasSRT

TexasSRT

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Helicopter Mechanic
@TexasSRT

are you using the stock jl radiator or did you upgrade it. if stock did you add an aux fan. did you have to relocate the t case. look pretty good and it doent look like its any worse of a tight fit compared to a 3.6 motor.
Stock radiator and stock fan, runs where it was before, I would say the fan kicks on high quite often but it did with the 3.6 as well so itā€™s hard to tell.

OP
OP
TexasSRT

TexasSRT

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Helicopter Mechanic
Bump for any updates since its been a few months.
Well Iā€™m working on 9,000 miles since the swap, everything is working as advertised except for my backup sensors, they are still figuring out a fix. Apparently after talking with Z-Automotive it affects ā€˜18-ā€˜19 JLā€™s but they will develop a fix via Tazer update at some point.

The engine had a factory oil cooler using the oil filter housing as the cooler with coolant lines running to it. I had to remove that and run an SRT style filter housing (no built in cooler) which kicks the filter 45 degrees toward the front due to the passenger upper control arm mount location. I normally see oil temps in the 210-220 range, pushing it hard up mountain passes it will jump 220-230. Pulling my trailer I saw the highest of 244 on a mountain pass, I am looking into an aftermarket remote oil filter kit so I can run a remote cooler to keep the oil temps down while pulling a trailer.

Once I hit 10,000 miles I will do a YouTube review video and go over everything at that point.
Sponsored