5.7 throttle body on 3.6

Sasquash

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 2 door, 1996 ZJ, 1976 SkiDoo Everest 440E
So I'm sitting under a forest fire smoke cloud. The air quality scale that tops out at 500 but we hit 803 today so I got nothing to do today but good around online. Anyway I found a kit to put a 5.7 throttle body onto the 3.6 intake. They are claiming 20 HP gain but I'm not sure. Has anybody tried this yet?
Sponsored

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
People put on all kinds of abominable aftermarket intakes... could this cause that much of a problem? It's surely not as severe as forced induction and you get people operating the engines at low rpms with superchargers fitted and no tunes (for testing at least). I think the ECU will learn and compensate.

Not saying there will be gains though.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
When looking at different air filters, I found an article (I will try to find it again) that stated the OEM air box and filter out flowed the requirements of the engine by a VERY wide margin. Based upon that, I find it difficult to believe that a new CAI or throttle body would improve anything.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sasquash

Sasquash

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 2 door, 1996 ZJ, 1976 SkiDoo Everest 440E
I play in sand dunes, I do a fair amount of 2nd gear wide open throttle stuff. Even with the 6 speed the motor is lacking in the high end. Like I said, it was a curiosity I stumbled onto. I'll go back to saving my pennies for a supercharger. Thanks for the replies.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I play in sand dunes, I do a fair amount of 2nd gear wide open throttle stuff. Even with the 6 speed the motor is lacking in the high end. Like I said, it was a curiosity I stumbled onto. I'll go back to saving my pennies for a supercharger. Thanks for the replies.
Or, you could save you pennies and put an entire 5.7 engine in, instead of a supercharger.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I don't have any experience with the 3.6 or 5.7, but I do know that many modern tunes use a combination of the TPS & MAP (or MAF) sensors to calculate the amount of airflow being delivered to the engine based off of the VE table. A larger bore throttle body would allow more air to pass at lower throttle angles, which would cause a lean condition. Other ECUs I have messed with have a maximum percentage that they can richen the AFR (usually 10%-15%). This is also assuming that the 3.6 & 5.7 use the same sensor voltage range.

A tune would probably be needed to get this working properly (correcting the VE table at a minimum). While it may be possible to gain HP, you could also end up losing low speed throttle resolution.

*Edited for clarity
Sponsored

Last edited: