Sponsored

5,000 Mile Reliability Poll

Have you went 5,000 miles without issues?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shaved Ice

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
My JLUR has been in the shop 3 times for the same thing. It is still in the third time, almost 40 days now. Jeep is on the verge of offering me a new vehicle or my money back. I have enjoyed both Jeeps and Power Wagons over the last few decades. I am now concerned about overall reliability of the new JL.

I want to poll only those with over 5,000 miles. If you have over 5,000 on your JL please participate. Your answers will help me decide whether to get another JL or go back to a Power Wagon. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Shaved Ice

Reality is EVERY JL owner has had or should have had, taken their JL into the Service Department for some type of fix.

If they did not bring their JL in, then they are oblivious to things that are a muck on their JL, are ignoring recalls from FCA, etc., or they have fixed the issue themselves.

I have had assorted issues but have fixed them myself. Yes, have had service department do necessary computer flashes, twice now. They replaced a yellowing Bright White grill and one grill molding, also.

I have about 9,000 miles on the odometer.

I laugh each time I read a JL owner here saying they have a JL that is perfect, has nothing wrong with it, no quirks, no hiccups.

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
A little late in the game to be doing reliability research, no?

And almost every new car I’ve ever owned has had *something* that needed to be fixed right away.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

saltyaggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Just rolled 21k miles here with an 18 JLUS 6MT. First 5k were trouble free, but have developed steering wobble and a few minor issues since then. I avoid the dealership like the plague, so I've managed everything myself so far. No official recalls on mine yet that would make me go to the dealer.

OP
OP
Shaved Ice

Shaved Ice

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR

And almost every new car I’ve ever owned has had *something* that needed to be fixed right away.
There wasn’t enough of a sample size to research when I got my JL. I assumed FCA would pay the same attention to build quality as they did to my Power Wagons and previous Jeep products. They have had a few issues, but nothing like why I experienced and read here.

I don’t mind minor fit/finish things, or even an occasional recall (say one to two a year). I do feel Jeep has rushed to production and has rushed production. This is my fifth Jeep product and have never had, nor heard of the amount of issues as I have with the JL.

I really want a JL or maybe a JT, but reliability is important and I cast this poll just to see what the statistics would be.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation

That's been the opposite of my experience. I've owned 20 or more vehicles since 1995 and a half dozen of those were brand new. I've NEVER had any vehicles that needed work in the first year of ownership except all three of my Jeep Wranglers (2011, 2012, 2018).

Obviously I love Jeep because I'm still driving them, but it's painfully obvious that the Wrangler suffers from a very abnormally high number of initial quality issues.

This should never be the case on new vehicles.

OP
OP
Shaved Ice

Shaved Ice

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
@Shaved Ice

Reality is EVERY JL owner has had or should have had, taken their JL into the Service Department for some type of fix.

If they did not bring their JL in, then they are oblivious to things that are a muck on their JL, are ignoring recalls from FCA, etc., or they have fixed the issue themselves.

I have had assorted issues but have fixed them myself. Yes, have had service department do necessary computer flashes, twice now. They replaced a yellowing Bright White grill and one grill molding, also.

I have about 9,000 miles on the odometer.

I laugh each time I read a JL owner here saying they have a JL that is perfect, has nothing wrong with it, no quirks, no hiccups.
I agree. I don’t mind one or two small occasional issues. But mechanical failures shouldn’t be happening at the rate they appear to be on vehicles with less than 5,000 miles.

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
@theplankeye

Even excluding recalls, no one has a JL that does not have an issue that should / could be / needs to be dealt with.

Here is just one example that affects all JL's build between 9/17 to June 2018:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...r-washer-nozzle-leaking-october-6-2018.16385/
Not my JLR w/pst. Ordered 1-24-18 del 7-4-18 6000 plus miles 2000 of that Offroad and 500 more flat tow behind motor home. In for weld recall all was good and no problems with anything

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Shaved Ice

I can't get on this bandwagon with you.

To repeat, there is no JL owner that has a JL that is prefect and without some issue.

If the JL owner believes this (my JL is perfect) or goes that route on your poll, I outright laugh at them.

I do feel that guys like you... guys / gals with hefty JL issues, lets call them are not the norm.

OP
OP
Shaved Ice

Shaved Ice

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
@Shaved Ice

I can't get on this bandwagon with you.

I will be the first to say that there is no JL owner that has a JL that is prefect and without some issue.

If the JL owner believes this or goes that route on your poll, I outright laugh at them.

I do feel that guys like you... guys / gals with hefty JL issues, lets call them are not the norm.

I promise this isn’t a bandwagon I am jumping on. I am conflicted. I WANT a reliable and well built Jeep. I am just hesitant as evidence suggests that isn’t what FCA is currently offering. I am not seeking perfection. I am seeking competence.

My Jeep was built with an inherent problem that FCA can’t fix and no one at FCA seems to be sharing information. So, from my experience, their build quality is questionable. Their ability to repair a new vehicle is questionable, and the business model of their issues department is questionable.

I posted this poll to see of my experience was unique and I realize my personal experience may not be an accurate representation of the truth.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Shaved Ice

Please do not take my comments as being aimed at you. YES. you have every right to be, lets say conflicted. Hang in there and work it through. I do feel that your situation, is not the norm though.

My comments that seemed kinda poking at those doing the poll are only aimed at the oblivious JL owner's that think their JL has no issues, even simple issues.

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
That's been the opposite of my experience. I've owned 20 or more vehicles since 1995 and a half dozen of those were brand new. I've NEVER had any vehicles that needed work in the first year of ownership except all three of my Jeep Wranglers (2011, 2012, 2018).

Obviously I love Jeep because I'm still driving them, but it's painfully obvious that the Wrangler suffers from a very abnormally high number of initial quality issues.

This should never be the case on new vehicles.
Jeep has had dismal reliability ratings for years. The 2018 model year was predicted to reach a new low. When we bought ours, a simple Google search prepared us for a litany of problems. Last year the only brand worse than the Jeep Wrangler was the Dodge Ram. We bought our Jeep in spite of this (we just bought the extended warranty).

Jeep has had so much bad press for so long that you’d have to have been living in the mountains of Kazakstan to not be aware. And then to post a vague poll on a forum (where people go when they’re having problems) rather than, again, Googling a publication that uses actual repair data to deduce a rating, seems odd to me.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I have purchased 49 new vehicles in the past 20 years. The only new vehicles out of those 49 that I ever had trouble with was my 2012 JK and definitely my 2016 JK. So far, my 18 JLR has been mostly good, but I only have 1,800 miles on it. My front left speaker needs to be replaced and FCA needs to do a new ecm flash because the crap tune.
Sponsored