Sponsored

4xe Wrangler is the #1 selling PHEV!

Ten4Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited / 2023 Jeep 392 XR
The 4xe battery placement is perfect; at a scale I had 50/50 weight distribution. I've got two customers each with 392 Wranglers and have swapped vehicles with both. Neither they nor I could disagree more; the 4xe handles much better.

Maybe there was a production change in the recent 392s or 4xe? I just returned from SC with a loaded 2000lb trailer and ~200lbs in my '21 Rubi 4xe cargo hold and felt neither tail heavy nor unstable at any speed (25mph to 70mph) on the ~900 mile trip.
It’s OK to disagree, as we all have different experiences and perceptions. After putting several thousand miles on a rental 4xe, I was pleasantly surprised at how well it behaved when pushing it into turns. Nowhere near sport car like, however was way better than I expected compared to JKU’s and non-4xe JLU’s I had driven in the past.

After that rental experience, I was still waiting for my 392XR to be delivered and started wondering if the 392XR was going to handle better or worse than the 4xe. So, I reached out to this community for opinions of those who had experience with both vehicles. I received mixed feedback, but the majority of responses said the 392XR actually handled better in the turns than the 4xe. Which, in fact, was my experience as well. Not a drastic difference, but slightly more confident with the 392XR. To be honest, I would have been happy with equally as stable, I just didn’t want to be let down after enjoying the 4xe.

Not sure if the 392’s you drove had the XR package like mine and others who concur with me? My understanding is that it is the XR package that contributes to the tighter handling.

This 392XR is an awesome beast when you want it to be, but very civilized when driven normally. And there is NEVER a shortage of power, no matter what RPM you’re cruising at.

I like the 4xe and had fun when I drove it. It just doesn’t come anywhere close to the 392XR on the fun scale.
Sponsored

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Not exactly sure what you mean by fun scale?

As for cornering, I very rarely even hit the brake, since regen slows you enough to whip around the corners, but that same speed in the same corners would have been skittish in my 2018 JL same wheels, the 4xe is also planted and you feel the significantly better handling than a V6 JL.

The simple fact is the 4xe weight is balanced and the 392 weight would be all up front, no amount of magic can distribute that weight evenly.

However all Wranglers are fun.

Never driven a 392, I would have considered a factory V8 Wrangler 10 - 20 years ago in a 2 door.

Maximum fun for me is literally not burning money on ⛽ anymore.

I'm basically driving for free, this last month of May cost me about $15, that same driving would have cost me over $250 in my also very fun 2018 JL or 2015 or 2007 JKs. My TJ sucked more I think, the YJ was just a pig.

But back then I didn't really care about mpg, mpg for me only matter when the 4xe hit the market, and I realized I can drive for free to very cheap.

That very same driving for last month would cost me over $300 in a 392, not burning $300 - $500 bucks a month can buy me a lot of non Wrangler fun.

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe Wrangler is the #1 selling PHEV! PXL_20230601_144907385

Ten4Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not exactly sure what you mean by fun scale?

As for cornering, I very rarely even hit the brake, since regen slows you enough to whip around the corners, but that same speed in the same corners would have been skittish in my 2018 JL same wheels, the 4xe is also planted and you feel the significantly better handling than a V6 JL.

The simple fact is the 4xe weight is balanced and the 392 weight would be all up front, no amount of magic can distribute that weight evenly.

However all Wranglers are fun.

Never driven a 392, I would have considered a factory V8 Wrangler 10 - 20 years ago in a 2 door.

Maximum fun for me is literally not burning money on ⛽ anymore.

I'm basically driving for free, this last month of May cost me about $15, that same driving would have cost me over $250 in my also very fun 2018 JL or 2015 or 2007 JKs. My TJ sucked more I think, the YJ was just a pig.

But back then I didn't really care about mpg, mpg for me only matter when the 4xe hit the market, and I realized I can drive for free to very cheap.

That very same driving for last month would cost me over $300 in a 392, not burning $300 - $500 bucks a month can buy me a lot of non Wrangler fun.

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe Wrangler is the #1 selling PHEV! PXL_20230601_144907385
Coming from V8 and supercharged sport cars in the past, “fun” for me is mostly acceleration and sound! This 392XR is obnoxiously fun! Yet can be very tame for normal driving. 4xe pulls pretty good to around 50/60 mph, but it’s at that point when the 392XR leaves the 4xe in the dust. And the 4xe sounds like turds all the while😂

Fuel economy is not an issue for me and my salary does not allow me the tax breaks. So the 392XR was really not that much of a difference in cost, especially when you could not get the XR package on the 4xe. Also, saving fuel is being frugal and I would not list that as something being “fun”😂😂 I’ve never heard someone at a monster truck rally or a drag strip say “man, this sure would be allot more fun if those cars were getting a little better fuel economy!”😂😂🤦‍♂️

Like I said, I had some fun with the 4xe, but it does not compare at all to the FUN of this 392XR.

You’ve never driven one but yet you have these strong opinions. I suggest you go rent a 392XR for a long weekend and then come back and give your “honest” opinion😉

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
Coming from V8 and supercharged sport cars in the past, “fun” for me is mostly acceleration and sound! This 392XR is obnoxiously fun! Yet can be very tame for normal driving. 4xe pulls pretty good to around 50/60 mph, but it’s at that point when the 392XR leaves the 4xe in the dust. And the 4xe sounds like turds all the while😂

Fuel economy is not an issue for me and my salary does not allow me the tax breaks. So the 392XR was really not that much of a difference in cost, especially when you could not get the XR package on the 4xe. Also, saving fuel is being frugal and I would not list that as something being “fun”😂😂 I’ve never heard someone at a monster truck rally or a drag strip say “man, this sure would be allot more fun if those cars were getting a little better fuel economy!”😂😂🤦‍♂️

Like I said, I had some fun with the 4xe, but it does not compare at all to the FUN of this 392XR.

You’ve never driven one but yet you have these strong opinions. I suggest you go rent a 392XR for a long weekend and then come back and give your “honest” opinion😉
Well ya, straight up fun would be a 392xr. Its not in the same league. Our other car is a v6 camaro, and the 4xe is quicker at atleast initially. The 4xe can shoot up 5-10mph likes its nothing but plateaus as the electric motor hands of to the ICE fully. However the Camaro feels quicker due to the engine sound and feels like it wants to keep pulling once it hits 3-4k rpms. I think of the 4xe and the 392 the same way I thought about the v6 and v8 with the camaro. The v6 is more livable day to day but on the track or on the strip I want the v8.

Last edited:

speedymart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jl
The 4xe sounding like a turd is a great description. That 2.0L turbo sounds like it's about to blow up at any moment. DI engines sound terrible in general

Sponsored

Ten4Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 4xe sounding like a turd is a great description. That 2.0L turbo sounds like it's about to blow up at any moment. DI engines sound terrible in general
😂😂😂. As unpleasing as the 4xe sounds, I do think it would be interesting to have one for the daily commute. My office is only 5 miles from my home, so I could probably run on pure electric most of the time. I just don’t have the need or garage space to have two wranglers and there’s no way I would give up the 392XR. 😎

OP
OP

ag4ever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘82 CJ-8, ‘82 CJ-8, ‘83 CJ-8, ‘23 Wrangler 4xe
Fun is in the eye of the beholder.

Some think fun = loud exhaust

Some think fun = quick acceleration

Some think fun = ability to climb a canyon trail

Some think fun = silence

When I was younger I thought fun was loud fast cars. Now that I am older I think fun is silent cars that humiliate the loud obnoxious ones. Those that love loud and obnoxious don’t think about the fact others are forced to listen to their display of manhood. Same with excessively loud car radios.

But, to each their own.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara

While you are making a racket with all that noise, a Mustang for 1/2 the price would quietly blow you away, and leave you cleaning your shorts at the red light.

Pure noisy gas is dead as fast fun vehicles.

Next gen EV Jeeps would leave noisy gassers in their dust.

Ten4Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While you are making a racket with all that noise, a Mustang for 1/2 the price would quietly blow you away, and leave you cleaning your shorts at the red light.

Pure noisy gas is dead as fast fun vehicles.

Next gen EV Jeeps would leave noisy gassers in their dust.
OH my jealous friend, EVs are a joke. And if you are defending a mustang over a Wrangler, you are definitely on the wrong forum🤣🤣🤣

The wrangler is an awesome vehicle and the 392XR is the most exciting version of the wrangler!!! If I wanted a refined sports car, I would have purchased a mustang, or Camaro, or corvette….all of which I have previously owned. The wrangler, ANY MODEL, is just fun no matter what. I think the 4xe is fun, but the 392XR is obnoxiously fun😉.

And you are 100% incorrect as the GT mustang for 1/2 the price does 0-60 in 4.4 seconds vs the Wrangler 392 XR doing it in 4seconds flat!!

A mustang for 1/2 the price is not even an option as I have had my share of high performance sport cars. The best being a 2018 Camaro ZL1. But those cars are too refined and are only fun when you are pressing their envelopes. The wrangler is crazy fun at any speed! Wrangler with 6.4 is just pure joy and I can’t wait to drive it every day!!!😎

The only one cleaning their shorts is YOU because you shat yourself in your fit of jealousy 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

ND_4XE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Willys 4xe
You guys are funny. No doubt the 392 in a Wrangler is a force to be reckoned with, but the 4xe is no slouch either!

Back to the OP, we took delivery on our 2023 Wrangler Willys 4xe back in April. I've owned many different Jeep vehicles over the years, and even the close cousin Durango with the 5.7L. We bought a Pacifica Hybrid a couple years ago and have had such a good experience that I started discussing with da wife last fall about replacing our Duragno with a PHEV. When I mentioned getting another Pacifica (we need to occasionally haul 6 passengers), she very quickly chastised me about not needing another van, and we started looking at Wrangler 4xe's.

We started looking at used ones, but there isn't much supply out there, and with the tax credit it made sense just to buy new. Even with the tax credit, they are rather expensive. Our Pacifica is our family road trip vehicle, so what we needed the Wrangler for was just our daily commute and getting the kids to school/activities (as well as getting about town in the winter). We already have the Level 2 charger in the garage, so the Wrangler just fit into that ecosystem.

So for us, we were only considering a PHEV, and the Wrangler fits the bill and allows us to have some fun along the way!

Sponsored

Ten4Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fun is in the eye of the beholder.

Some think fun = loud exhaust

Some think fun = quick acceleration

Some think fun = ability to climb a canyon trail

Some think fun = silence

When I was younger I thought fun was loud fast cars. Now that I am older I think fun is silent cars that humiliate the loud obnoxious ones. Those that love loud and obnoxious don’t think about the fact others are forced to listen to their display of manhood. Same with excessively loud car radios.

But, to each their own.
No need to choose! When unrefined fun is the order of the day, I drive the wrangler. When I want smooth and quiet surpassing any Mercedes, I drive my Ram 1500 limited😎😉

lm 57 years young and have owned just about every type of car and motorcycle. Nothing rides smoother that the Ram 1500 limited, and nothing delivers unrefined fun like a wrangler, especially when it has a V8🥳

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Not that I want to trade mine, but I keep waiting to see a 4xe on a dealer's lot to test drive it. 470 TQ sounds interesting...

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
OH my jealous friend, EVs are a joke. And if you are defending a mustang over a Wrangler, you are definitely on the wrong forum🤣🤣🤣

The wrangler is an awesome vehicle and the 392XR is the most exciting version of the wrangler!!! If I wanted a refined sports car, I would have purchased a mustang, or Camaro, or corvette….all of which I have previously owned. The wrangler, ANY MODEL, is just fun no matter what. I think the 4xe is fun, but the 392XR is obnoxiously fun😉.

And you are 100% incorrect as the GT mustang for 1/2 the price does 0-60 in 4.4 seconds vs the Wrangler 392 XR doing it in 4seconds flat!!

A mustang for 1/2 the price is not even an option as I have had my share of high performance sport cars. The best being a 2018 Camaro ZL1. But those cars are too refined and are only fun when you are pressing their envelopes. The wrangler is crazy fun at any speed! Wrangler with 6.4 is just pure joy and I can’t wait to drive it every day!!!😎

The only one cleaning their shorts is YOU because you shat yourself in your fit of jealousy 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Mustang Mach-e GT PE 3.5 - I said silently, not defending, but if you are creating a racket with all that noise, and try racing people, EVs will silently humble you, especially leave you in the dust if cornering is involved, cause you will be riding your brakes, EVs don't need to brake in corners, foot is always on the pedal.

Pure gas is a joke these days when it comes to performance, have you not noticed the hyper cars are goosing power with electric motors.

Ten4Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach-e GT PE 3.5 - I said silently, not defending, but if you are creating a racket with all that noise, and try racing people, EVs will silently humble you, especially leave you in the dust if cornering is involved, cause you will be riding your brakes, EVs don't need to brake in corners, foot is always on the pedal.

Pure gas is a joke these days when it comes to performance, have you not noticed the hyper cars are goosing power with electric motors.
You keep missing the point 🤦‍♂️. It’s not all about speed my friend. I am an electrical engineer and know all about electric torque. You can’t touch the instant torque of an electric motor, no doubt!

But every electric vehicle I have ever driven is just pull, no soul. Even my Camaro ZL1 got boring, because even though it did 0-60 in 3.5 secs and was in the triple digits shortly thereafter, it was way to refined to enjoy on the street, unless you were pushing its limits. The 392 XR comes to its limits very quickly, especially in corners, which is why it is so hilariously fun, even at legally posted speeds 😉

I’m also not a fan of the “fake” exhaust noises some EV’s have pumped in through the speakers.

I am an old school guy who loves the melody of gas engines. The super acceleration of EVs do you no good in bumper to bumper traffic. The 392 XR is always fun, even when it’s just idling. So that’s why I say EVs are a joke. No fun to me.
Sponsored