Sponsored

4XE - Worse mileage than other motors (after battery depleted)?

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
Picked my Rubicon 4xe up on Friday. About 300 miles driven with almost a 50/50 mix of highway/city. Delivery from Mass to CT was almost all HWY miles and (120 miles or so).

Was at 18.9 miles for the highway trip but with charging and mostly city driving my average is now 23mpg. And I am not being light on throttle. My 19 Wrangler Unlimited averaged 16.9mpg on aftermarket 33" wheels/tires and lift (3.6L) engine.

If I can average mid to high 20's with a Rubicon with my driving style I will be super happy.

But what is really impressive is getting that type of MPG and having that much hp/tq on hand. This thing really moves. The torque is instant and quiet.
Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
I really think some of you have no idea on the benefits of plug in EV. If 70% of your driving is shorter commutes with frequently charging in between going 1000-1200 miles between fillups on that 17 gallon gas tank is more than realistic.

My wife filled up our Pacifica Hybrid on March 14th and has logged 1400 miles since then and we still have 1/3 of a tank of gas. Probably going to get 1700 miles between fillups.

HAHAHAHA!
Yes we do, 17KW battery, at 16 cents/KWHr for power equals 2.72$ per charge for 21 miles, my 3.6 Rubicon has avg 21.7 mpg thus far. So it is a damn wash, do the math, trading 2.72 for juice vs 2..75 for gas. Of course the benny of 370HP and 7500 clams is the main reason people should buy these.

Maybe someone will make a small battery to replace the 700 lb unit, which can store just enough so as to allow one to stomp on it and get the 370 HP and some benefit of the Hybrid without dragging 700 lbs around, especially if they arent going to waste time using the plug in part!

Hey Mopar there is a good new part to come up with!

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Picked up our JLURe today in Vermont and tomorrow will drive 300 miles to NJ. Gas tank is full, vehicle is on snail charger overnight so it will likely be around 80% by morning. If there's any interest I will report actual mileage after refilling. I expect about 20 miles all electric then will run hybrid mode all the way. Some hills and grades, not much real flat except the last 100 miles in NJ. Speed will vary for breakin, likely 50-70 mph.
Do us a favor and record the miles driven and when you refill, gallons and report back. Dont use the damn EVIC. Also let us know what the driving is like, if your in stop and go or doing 80sh, it isnt going to be real world.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
Yes we do, 17KW battery, at 16 cents/KWHr for power equals 2.72$ per charge for 21 miles, my 3.6 Rubicon has avg 21.7 mpg thus far. So it is a damn wash, do the math, trading 2.72 for juice vs 2..75 for gas. Of course the benny of 370HP and 7500 clams is the main reason people should buy these.

Maybe someone will make a small battery to replace the 700 lb unit, which can store just enough so as to allow one to stomp on it and get the 370 HP and some benefit of the Hybrid without dragging 700 lbs around, especially if they arent going to waste time using the plug in part!

A lot of this depends on where you are at. It is around 15.5 kWh for a full fill which would be $1.55 where I live, so less than gas prices. I also didn't get 21.7 mpg with 3.6L setup. I'm getting better gas mileage with the 4Xe, along with my main buying reason of 470 torque. The electric motor on its own gets me around town as good as the 3.6L did. You throw in $7,500 back making it cheaper than the Rubicon I would have purchased and It is a no brainer. The other option was the 392 but a picture was just posted today of a sticker price in Florida of over 100K. I've been part of this forum for a bit and not once have I ever went into an area specific to a particular platform and felt the need to question the decision of those in that particular platform.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Well I am already up to 26mpg combined driving on the 4xe Rubicon after 400 miles and it keeps going up. 130 of those being the dealer delivering it from Mass to CT and it averaged 18.9mpg. So far about 50/50 city/highway but we normally are 70-80% city with frequent charging.

Sponsored

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A lot of this depends on where you are at. It is around 15.5 kWh for a full fill which would be $1.55 where I live, so less than gas prices. I also didn't get 21.7 mpg with 3.6L setup. I'm getting better gas mileage with the 4Xe, along with my main buying reason of 470 torque. The electric motor on its own gets me around town as good as the 3.6L did. You throw in $7,500 back making it cheaper than the Rubicon I would have purchased and It is a no brainer. The other option was the 392 but a picture was just posted today of a sticker price in Florida of over 100K. I've been part of this forum for a bit and not once have I ever went into an area specific to a particular platform and felt the need to question the decision of those in that particular platform.
Right. My lifetime average on my 19 JL Unlimited Sport 3.6 was 16.9mpg with 33" tires and 2.5" lift. The 4xe Rubicon is already far exceeding that.

If the tax credit ends up being $12,500+another $500 for my state I will be overjoyed at paying $33K for a loaded 4xe Rubicon.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Right. My lifetime average on my 19 JL Unlimited Sport 3.6 was 16.9mpg with 33" tires and 2.5" lift. The 4xe Rubicon is already far exceeding that.

If the tax credit ends up being $12,500+another $500 for my state I will be overjoyed at paying $33K for a loaded 4xe Rubicon.
That tax credit increase, if it gets improved, won't hit purchases made this year. It will only impact purchase made starting next year (assuming it's approved this year).

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That tax credit increase, if it gets improved, won't hit purchases made this year. It will only impact purchase made starting next year (assuming it's approved this year).
Well that may be incentive to sell my 4XE and do it all over again next year :) Pretty sure I can get more than $42K for it which is what I paid out the door after taxes, etc and including the $8K fed+state rebate.

nettlebob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
We just drove 1100 miles straight towing an 800lb trailer with about 500lbs of cargo in it.
The MPG was 12.2 and range was about 200 miles per tank in some stretches. We came close to running out of gas once after fueling and traveling 185 miles to the next gas station on the interstate, in fact it took 17.3 gallons to refuel in that instance.
Iā€™m curious to see if the regen should be left off on highway travel.
On the plus side my wife commutes 20 miles to work recharges and comes back without using any gas.
I should note on the long trip we had strong winds and hot temperatures.

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Well that may be incentive to sell my 4XE and do it all over again next year :) Pretty sure I can get more than $42K for it which is what I paid out the door after taxes, etc and including the $8K fed+state rebate.
Yep, this seems to be the optimum way with the way the market looks right now and depending on how long it takes to recover.

Especially since buying below invoice and starting your depreciation at MSRP has always been a "good value" as far as car buying goes. Obviously we'll have to wait to see what 4xe resell value looks like, but I pay more than 12500 in taxes so getting that back would be a decent reason to upgrade earlier than I normally would.

Sponsored

Sam_Ca

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
We just drove 1100 miles straight towing an 800lb trailer with about 500lbs of cargo in it.
The MPG was 12.2 and range was about 200 miles per tank in some stretches. We came close to running out of gas once after fueling and traveling 185 miles to the next gas station on the interstate, in fact it took 17.3 gallons to refuel in that instance.
On the plus side my wife commutes 20 miles to work recharges and comes back without using any gas.
Mate I have to blame Jeep for not advising the usage of max reg. Remember no free lunch , on high way you are burning fuel to gen electricity by slowing down the Jeep. Th e only instant I will advise max gen is move and stop traffic or going down hill. Why you want to slow the Jeep and add efforts on high way? I bet you you only regenerated around 10% battery after all that driving but burned ton of fuel. No free lunch :) max gen is great going down hill/stop move trafic then it is free lunch otherwise you are paying premium for hotdog šŸŒ­šŸ˜‡

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Mate I have to blame Jeep for not advising the usage of max reg. Remember no free lunch , on high way you are burning fuel to gen electricity by slowing down the Jeep. Th e only instant I will advise max gen is move and stop traffic or going down hill. Why you want to slow the Jeep and add efforts on high way? I bet you you only regenerated around 10% battery after all that driving but burned ton of fuel. No free lunch :) max gen is great going down hill/stop move trafic then it is free lunch otherwise you are paying premium for hotdog šŸŒ­šŸ˜‡

That's not what Max Regen does.

Unnecessary explanation of Max Regen .... šŸ¤£

It's only part of the braking system, it doesn't force the gas engine to regen the battery. Without it, you apply the brakes, the generators kick in lightly, charge, and eventually you're using the friction brakes, it feels like any ICE vehicle. With Max Regen, the generators kick in just by lifting the throttle, and very aggressively slow (and charge) the vehicle to almost a complete stop.

There's three main modes: Hybrid, Electric and E-Save, the last mode, will use the gas engine to recharge +if+ you go into UConnect and set the E-Save mode to "charge" (which is not on by default).

Last edited:

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
That would be my main holdup with the current 4xe. It just doesn't seem practical as a primary vehicle. The range would need to be higher for me to seriously consider it. The mix of gas vs electric could change up, but I want to be able to drive DFW to other Texas cities without stressing about when the next gas station comes up. Not to mention a charging station.

Sam_Ca

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
That's not what Max Regen does.

It's only part of the braking system, it doesn't force the gas engine to regen the battery. Without it, you apply the brakes, the generators kick in lightly, charge, and eventually you're using the friction brakes, it feels like any ICE vehicle. With Max Regen, the generators kick in just by lifting the throttle, and very aggressively slow (and charge) the vehicle to almost a complete stop.

There's three main modes: Hybrid, Electric and E-Save, the last mode, will use the gas engine to recharge +if+ you go into UConnect and set the E-Save mode to "charge" (which is not on by default).
Maybe I didnā€™t explain myself well. When using max gen you are breaking unnecessarily in a highway and you burn fuel to accelerate again. If you drive 4 hours you might recharge battery for around 5%. I donā€™t see the benefit of max gen in highway. Totally different for city driving

nettlebob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
I need to add a big positive feature for our situation is that our cabin in Colorado is 30 miles from the nearest gas station. We only used about 5 gallons of gas In two weeks by using mostly electric during the day and plugging in overnight. The gas we used was to supplement the longer 4wd excursions or going 30 miles back and forth to town a couple of times.
Sponsored