Sponsored

4XE - Worse mileage than other motors (after battery depleted)?

OP
OP
MallBrawler

MallBrawler

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JKR, '21 JLUR, '21 Tesla MYP, '22 4XE ordered
Occupation
Jeep Caretaker
I can tell you that today I went 52 miles with E save on, tagged about 17.2 MPG. No mods yet on a Rubicon model. On the return trip of 52 miles I kept hybrid mode on with a 52% charge and ended up getting 21.4 MPG. Both trips used adaptive cruise.
If I’m 100% honest I am a bit disappointed in the MPG. Local driving is fantastic when I’m charging every night, but even so I did not expect to get 17.2 on or gas, would have still expected to get closer to 20. I also had max regen on the entire time as well.
Thanks for sharing your experience, really appreciate it. Still super new car so hopefully the "long term" tests/reviewers can yield some real world data. This may be the first hybrid car that gets worse mileage (after the battery runs out) but driving around town is free (if on solar) or significantly cheaper than gas. Super cheap lease payments also helps
Sponsored

CsD

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
Are you giving your mpg from the economy screen or the trip screen? From what I've figured out while driving, the economy screen MPG is for gas only miles and doesn't factor your electric motor only miles. The trip screen mpg should be higher.
i did take it from the trip screen. Reset itbooth times to try and get a apples to apples.

tk1700

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Altitude, 2021 JLUR, 2016 Tundra
My stock 2021 JLUR 2.0 averages between 19-21 driving 80 on the interstate and up to 23 cruising back roads around 60mph.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
My trip computer, reset at <1%, calculated 24.1 MPG over 100 miles of back country roads. This is for a stock wheels Sahara. Surprisingly, it logged 4.1 miles electric.

Once you get around 70 MPH the efficiency starts to tank.

Most of the highway driving was showing about 23 MPG. Once I hit civilization, the number climbed to where it is in the photo.

I expect I'll be able to do 90% of my driving full EV. But the combined power feels great when you punch it. I'm used to sports cars too.

Jeep Wrangler JL 4XE - Worse mileage than other motors (after battery depleted)? 20210425_201044

Last edited:

1st4xe

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe
I drove 170 miles on with 0% battery and averaged 21.5 mpg on the highway going 70 - 80 mph.
I was not on cruise control and varied the speed since I am still in the break in period. I expect it may improve a bit once I turn on cruise control. When going down hill or through a low speed construction zone, the engine completely turned off even though I was at 0% battery. Not sure if the mpg accounts for that since those were electric miles.

Sponsored

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I drove 170 miles on with 0% battery and averaged 21.5 mpg on the highway going 70 - 80 mph.
I was not on cruise control and varied the speed since I am still in the break in period. I expect it may improve a bit once I turn on cruise control. When going down hill or through a low speed construction zone, the engine completely turned off even though I was at 0% battery. Not sure if the mpg accounts for that since those were electric miles.
That fits with what I observed, my driving above was mostly from 49 to 69 MPH. When I'd get up 70+ it would dip to 21.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I can tell you that today I went 52 miles with E save on, tagged about 17.2 MPG. No mods yet on a Rubicon model. On the return trip of 52 miles I kept hybrid mode on with a 52% charge and ended up getting 21.4 MPG. Both trips used adaptive cruise.
If I’m 100% honest I am a bit disappointed in the MPG. Local driving is fantastic when I’m charging every night, but even so I did not expect to get 17.2 on or gas, would have still expected to get closer to 20. I also had max regen on the entire time as well.
What were your speeds and is your e-save set to recharge? 21 in a Rubicon could roughly compare to 24 in the Sahara.

I had tried e-save for a bit but at 0% it acted more like normal hybrid. But I only kept it there for a bit. It does factor in to the photo above I took.

I didn't know about the recharge setting until this morning. I suspect using the engine to recharge would take a hit on efficiency.

dski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubi 4dr
Occupation
small business owner
Once you put on mods, lifts and big tires, that electric range will half.

Your total range will probably go down the shitter as well, considering it only has 17.2 gallons of gas tank.

The 4xe probably isn’t designed for anyone who will mod their Jeep significantly.

17.2 gallon gas tank? HAHAHAHAHA. Here....let's give you 20 miles of electric range at 80 degrees (maybe 8 at 0 degrees) and take away 50 miles of fuel range.

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
17.2 gallon gas tank? HAHAHAHAHA. Here....let's give you 20 miles of electric range at 80 degrees (maybe 8 at 0 degrees) and take away 50 miles of fuel range.
Well yeah, it was never meant or expected to be the better long range option. No doubt the diesel would be much better in that regard.

Sponsored

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
I really think some of you have no idea on the benefits of plug in EV. If 70% of your driving is shorter commutes with frequently charging in between going 1000-1200 miles between fillups on that 17 gallon gas tank is more than realistic.

My wife filled up our Pacifica Hybrid on March 14th and has logged 1400 miles since then and we still have 1/3 of a tank of gas. Probably going to get 1700 miles between fillups.

HAHAHAHA!

CsD

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
What were your speeds and is your e-save set to recharge? 21 in a Rubicon could roughly compare to 24 in the Sahara.

I had tried e-save for a bit but at 0% it acted more like normal hybrid. But I only kept it there for a bit. It does factor in to the photo above I took.

I didn't know about the recharge setting until this morning. I suspect using the engine to recharge would take a hit on efficiency.
I did have the E-Save set to recharge, so that very well could have something to do with it. I was running about 65mph the entire way. Honestly I did not find the value worth it to run in charger mode, and changed it to save instead. The only reason I would choose to go to ESave is when I am going out trail riding. Other than that, figured I will stay in hybrid most of the time.

From what I see, most analysis seem to have a hybrid approach to the overall mpg. I was hoping to see what a pure gas brings to the table. Not that I am worried about the gas mileage, I bought for the power, but its still nice to have. My last JK was modded to where I was only averaging 13 MPG on good days, so anything is savings at that point.

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
My 2.0 has a lifetime average mpg of 19.7 and it’s had 37s since before I left the lot with it. (6 miles on odometer)
Total mileage at the moment is about 3,500.
It also has some extra weight with steel bumpers, hard top, winch, steel rock slider steps, and 37” spare.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
My 2.0 has a lifetime average mpg of 19.7 and it’s had 37s since before I left the lot with it. (6 miles on odometer)
Total mileage at the moment is about 3,500.
It also has some extra weight with steel bumpers, hard top, winch, steel rock slider steps, and 37” spare.
That's pretty impressive. My 19 Wrangler Unlimited Sport with 17K miles, 33" tires, 2.5" lift, averaged about 17mpg over the past 17K miles. That said most of our driving is city driving and shorter distances so the 3.6L and is averaging what we expected. With the stock wheels and tires we averaged closer to 21mpg

Skeethree

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe, 2022 Rav4 Prime, 2020 Highlande Hybrid
Occupation
Architect
Picked up our JLURe today in Vermont and tomorrow will drive 300 miles to NJ. Gas tank is full, vehicle is on snail charger overnight so it will likely be around 80% by morning. If there's any interest I will report actual mileage after refilling. I expect about 20 miles all electric then will run hybrid mode all the way. Some hills and grades, not much real flat except the last 100 miles in NJ. Speed will vary for breakin, likely 50-70 mph.
Sponsored