Sponsored

4XE - Worse mileage than other motors (after battery depleted)?

MallBrawler

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JKR, '21 JLUR, '21 Tesla MYP, '22 4XE ordered
Occupation
Jeep Caretaker
Just curious if anyone has done any long distance drives with the 4XE to validate the numbers EPA posts? According to EPA, they seem to say that 4XE performs worse in the mpg department compared to other engine options for the JL.

It goes on to say that 4XE gets 20mpg combined- and my understanding is tested with battery+fuel tank full and driving to empty... 4XE is also lowest mpg compared to 2.0/3.6/Diesel at 23/31/25 So to me this is saying that after the 21 mile battery is depleted, the mpg is worse than non-hybrid which seems a bit strange considering that the Pacifica performs so well.

So with those numbers im concluding that daily driven w/ charging is (obviously) going to consume less fual than its non-hybrid counterpart, while on longer trips ex. 400 mile drive, the 4XE performs *worse* ?

A bit strange. So i was wondering if actual owners can shed some light on this. I've got an EV + JL 3.6L so it'd be a natural progression to switch to hybrid given the benefits. Thanks!
Sponsored

Jimbow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara Altitude
Just curious if anyone has done any long distance drives with the 4XE to validate the numbers EPA posts? According to EPA, they seem to say that 4XE performs worse in the mpg department compared to other engine options for the JL.

It goes on to say that 4XE gets 20mpg combined- and my understanding is tested with battery+fuel tank full and driving to empty... 4XE is also lowest mpg compared to 2.0/3.6/Diesel at 23/31/25 So to me this is saying that after the 21 mile battery is depleted, the mpg is worse than non-hybrid which seems a bit strange considering that the Pacifica performs so well.

So with those numbers im concluding that daily driven w/ charging is (obviously) going to consume less fual than its non-hybrid counterpart, while on longer trips ex. 400 mile drive, the 4XE performs *worse* ?

A bit strange. So i was wondering if actual owners can shed some light on this. I've got an EV + JL 3.6L so it'd be a natural progression to switch to hybrid given the benefits. Thanks!
I believe it weighs 500-700 libs more with the battery system so of course it would.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I believe it weighs 500-700 libs more with the battery system so of course it would.
The extra weight plus the fact that your jeep is constantly forcing the main electric motor in the transmission to rotate because it is in series with the drivetrain, located in place of the torque converter, and that creates much more drag than a regular gas engine would experience.

OP
OP
MallBrawler

MallBrawler

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Caretaker
I get 12.5 mph with the v6 and 37 inch tires
I'm not too far off myself; 37" tires and getting 16mpg on hwy with a 6 speed manual.

The extra weight plus the fact that your jeep is constantly forcing the main electric motor in the transmission to rotate because it is in series with the drivetrain, located in place of the torque converter, and that creates much more drag than a regular gas engine would experience.
Right - no doubt there's extra weight on the battery, but to put in perspective, FCA is likely to have adapted the pacific hybrid system onto the 4xe as things are extremely similar, but converged at the effectiveness (and aerodynamics)

Jeep/Chrysler:
Engine: 2.0L / V6 3.6L (corrected, thanks)
Battery: 16kwh / 17.3kwh
Gross Weight: 6300/6300
Electric range: 21mi / 32mi
MPGe: 49 / 89
Total Range: 370mi / 520mi

And again these are pulled from EPA and numbers published by different editorials. With only difference being aerodynamics i have to admit i was kind of surprised it was such a big difference. Hopefully software updates can give us some improvements?

Last edited:

Sponsored

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
I agree Jimbow. I. One of the videos on YouTube or a write up somewhere it was mentioned that most people’s commute was less than 20 miles. That is where this vehicle will shine. On long drives, yes, the mileage will probably be worse.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I agree Jimbow. I. One of the videos on YouTube or a write up somewhere it was mentioned that most people’s commute was less than 20 miles. That is where this vehicle will shine. On long drives, yes, the mileage will probably be worse.
Once you put on mods, lifts and big tires, that electric range will half.

Your total range will probably go down the shitter as well, considering it only has 17.2 gallons of gas tank. (Even less than a 2Dr JL)

The 4xe probably isn’t designed for anyone who will mod their Jeep significantly.

Last edited:

phobos512

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I aspire to a 4xe
I'm not too far off myself; 37" tires and getting 16mpg on hwy with a 6 speed manual.

Right - no doubt there's extra weight on the battery, but to put in perspective, FCA is likely to have adapted the pacific hybrid system onto the 4xe as things are extremely similar, but converged at the effectiveness (and aerodynamics)

Jeep/Chrysler:
Engine: V6 3.6L / V6 3.6L
Battery: 16kwh / 17.3kwh
Gross Weight: 6300/6300
Electric range: 21mi / 32mi
MPGe: 49 / 89
Total Range: 370mi / 520mi

And again these are pulled from EPA and numbers published by different editorials. With only difference being aerodynamics i have to admit i was kind of surprised it was such a big difference. Hopefully software updates can give us some improvements?
The Wrangler 4xe does not have a V6.

Also according to this https://www.sae.org/news/2017/12/level-zero-hero and this https://www.detroitnews.com/story/b...acifica-hybrid-coolest-minivan-town/94364372/ the Cd of the Wrangler is just over 50% higher than the Pacifica which is enormous. The Wrangler is also several hundred pounds heavier than the Pacifica.

CsD

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
I can tell you that today I went 52 miles with E save on, tagged about 17.2 MPG. No mods yet on a Rubicon model. On the return trip of 52 miles I kept hybrid mode on with a 52% charge and ended up getting 21.4 MPG. Both trips used adaptive cruise.
If I’m 100% honest I am a bit disappointed in the MPG. Local driving is fantastic when I’m charging every night, but even so I did not expect to get 17.2 on or gas, would have still expected to get closer to 20. I also had max regen on the entire time as well.

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
I can tell you that today I went 52 miles with E save on, tagged about 17.2 MPG. No mods yet on a Rubicon model. On the return trip of 52 miles I kept hybrid mode on with a 52% charge and ended up getting 21.4 MPG. Both trips used adaptive cruise.
If I’m 100% honest I am a bit disappointed in the MPG. Local driving is fantastic when I’m charging every night, but even so I did not expect to get 17.2 on or gas, would have still expected to get closer to 20. I also had max regen on the entire time as well.
Thanks CsD for sharing your real world experience. Interesting.

Sponsored

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
Once you put on mods, lifts and big tires, that electric range will half.

Your total range will probably go down shitter as well, considering it only has 17.2 gallons of gas tank.

The 4xe probably isn’t designed for anyone who will mod their Jeep significantly.
We only have one example so far and 37's with a lift is getting 16 miles on electric which still covers an average daily commute in the USA. Once electric is gone my lift and big tires will have 375 hp and 470 torque getting them around which is the reason many of us bought this. Any better gas mileage is icing on the cake. With doing just my normal driving, I've went over 420 miles and just past a half tank of gas.

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe

To me the 17.2 MPG in E save is not that surprising. I just don't think the 4xe is really designed to run in it. More of a trick if you want to run off road in all electric. Basically you have the same 2.0 motor with about 800 more pounds in the Wrangler. You also have an engine using extra energy to try and charge the battery. Something I doubt is really that efficient . Lastly I don't think the lower gears and bigger tires on the Rubicon are the best for fuel economy.

Any idea what a stock Rubicon, with a normal 2.0, gets in the real world. My guess is it lower the the EPA numbers.

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Are you giving your mpg from the economy screen or the trip screen? From what I've figured out while driving, the economy screen MPG is for gas only miles and doesn't factor your electric motor only miles. The trip screen mpg should be higher.

OP
OP
MallBrawler

MallBrawler

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Caretaker
The Wrangler 4xe does not have a V6.

Also according to this https://www.sae.org/news/2017/12/level-zero-hero and this https://www.detroitnews.com/story/b...acifica-hybrid-coolest-minivan-town/94364372/ the Cd of the Wrangler is just over 50% higher than the Pacifica which is enormous. The Wrangler is also several hundred pounds heavier than the Pacifica.
Thanks for pointing that out. And yes definitely know about the drag just dont know how much it actually affects it haha
Sponsored