Sponsored

4xe Test Drive - 4xe limped into service bay

Raylan Givens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Test drove a 4xe today, but it barely made it back to the dealership on its own power.

The test drive started off on their off road course, which was basically a washed out dirt trail with a couple of uphill climbs. It transitioned into a residential area and eventually onto a two lane highway before returning to the dealership. So I was able to test it from crawling over washed out dirt roads to 35-55 mph driving. Accelerating into the two lane highway the service electronic throttle warring came on, followed by multiple other warning messages and lights. This basically killed the ability to press the accelerator. I had to pull over and restart twice to make it back to the dealer. Each time the same errors popped up shortly after. We coasted into the service bay and the salesman said, "so are you ready to order a 392?"

The good: It was extremely smooth and quiet. I was able to stay in electric for almost the entire drive, unless I tried to accelerate quickly. In my normal driving it would probably only use gas on the interstate. The off-road performance was excellent at those slow speeds in complete silence. The regenerative braking was great at slowing down without actually applying the brakes

Dislikes coming from a Ram 1500 are the obvious things like interior space and comfort. Additionally the screen seemed tiny compared to my 12" and the Alpine system does not come close to the Harmon Kardon system in the Ram. My Ram also seems to be quicker, but the 4xe had something wrong with it so difficult to compare.
Sponsored

Geesmill

First Name
Gees
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Duramax; Chevy Volt
Test drove a 4xe today, but it barely made it back to the dealership on its own power.

The test drive started off on their off road course, which was basically a washed out dirt trail with a couple of uphill climbs. It transitioned into a residential area and eventually onto a two lane highway before returning to the dealership. So I was able to test it from crawling over washed out dirt roads to 35-55 mph driving. Accelerating into the two lane highway the service electronic throttle warring came on, followed by multiple other warning messages and lights. This basically killed the ability to press the accelerator. I had to pull over and restart twice to make it back to the dealer. Each time the same errors popped up shortly after. We coasted into the service bay and the salesman said, "so are you ready to order a 392?"

The good: It was extremely smooth and quiet. I was able to stay in electric for almost the entire drive, unless I tried to accelerate quickly. In my normal driving it would probably only use gas on the interstate. The off-road performance was excellent at those slow speeds in complete silence. The regenerative braking was great at slowing down without actually applying the brakes

Dislikes coming from a Ram 1500 are the obvious things like interior space and comfort. Additionally the screen seemed tiny compared to my 12" and the Alpine system does not come close to the Harmon Kardon system in the Ram. My Ram also seems to be quicker, but the 4xe had something wrong with it so difficult to compare.
Test drove a Rubicon and Saharra 4xe on Friday. Fortunately, we didn't experience any issues and I'm ready to pull the trigger. Decent mileage and torque of a 392, sign me up.

OP
OP
Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Test drove a Rubicon and Saharra 4xe on Friday. Fortunately, we didn't experience any issues and I'm ready to pull the trigger. Decent mileage and torque of a 392, sign me up.
I'm curious as to what the issue was. That error code could mean a lot of things and potentially has nothing to do with the 4xe components. However it doesn't inspire confidence when you can't make it five miles on a vehicle with 20 miles on the odometer.
Sponsored