Sponsored

4XE tax credit!!!!! Not able to receive it!

OP
OP

gman123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo V60, Volvo S60, Ordered 4XE Sahara
So I owe 25k in taxes but have already paid 24k so I won’t owe that last 1k bc of the credit and should get a refund of 6.5k right? Because my accountant says no but as you all said fire him, I am calling another one now because I don’t think I sounds right that I loose the 6.5k!!

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
It’s been a few years since I wore my tax hat, but non refundable simply means that if your tax credits exceed your tax liability, the government will not refund you the excess; however, your tax credit will still decrease your tax liability dollar for dollar until your liability hits zero. Any amounts prepaid should therefore be refundable.
Question:

My tax liability by year end is going to be around $4k.

I'm M and 0/0. So is my wife. We have two children, we don't itemize, no business. Pretty simple.

What happens with the EV credit in my case? I usually get several grand at tax time.

Sponsored

WannFly

First Name
Priyo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4Xe - ordered, 2019 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber security
So I owe 25k in taxes but have already paid 24k so I won’t owe that last 1k bc of the credit and should get a refund of 6.5k right? Because my accountant says no but as you all said fire him, I am calling another one now because I don’t think I sounds right that I loose the 6.5k!!
i had sent a similar Q to my CPA and he told me flat out, even if i had paid more taxes than i owed end of year, i will get that 7.5 credit. now if your total tax credit for the year is 5k, you just get that 5k back

ResGuy68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 4Runner, 16 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Correct.

All withholding is simply an estimate for 2021. How much was withheld has no bearing on your ultimate tax liability (penalties for under-withholding aside... which isn't relevant here).

Example:

Option A:
Paid 24k in taxes
Return shows 25k taxes due (before credit)
Return shows 17.5k taxes due (after credit)
You get a refund for 6.5k come returns season

Option B:
Paid 0k in taxes
You need to pay 17.5k come returns season

Technically with option B, if you substantially under-withheld, you may face a 6%-ish penalty on the return-due (government doesn't like to give interest free loans)... but as mentioned, not relevant here.

WannFly

First Name
Priyo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber security

ElHobbz

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 4wd Tacoma OR
Abstract yourself from what you paid or paying. You'll get the credit depending on your tax liability.

WannFly

First Name
Priyo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber security

Sponsored

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
OP
OP

gman123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo V60, Volvo S60, Ordered 4XE Sahara
Correct.

All withholding is simply an estimate for 2021. How much was withheld has no bearing on your ultimate tax liability (penalties for under-withholding aside... which isn't relevant here).

Example:

Option A:
Paid 24k in taxes
You get a refund for 6.5k come returns season

Option B:
Paid 0k in taxes
You need to pay 17.5k come returns season

Technically with option B, if you substantially under-withheld, you may face a 6%-ish penalty on the return-due (government doesn't like to give interest free loans)... but as mentioned, not relevant here.
Your amazing thank you so much had a heart attack today when the guy told me that!!! Thank you thank you!!

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
If your net federal tax liability by year end is $4k, you can claim the credit here and get $4k.
And that's what I had researched, but the OP scared the shit outta me.
Sponsored