Sponsored

4XE tax credit!!!!! Not able to receive it!

gman123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo V60, Volvo S60, Ordered 4XE Sahara
So we file taxes pay as you go, we told our accountant in April that we were purchasing the 4xe and we would qualify. We called this week about it and they found out that we don’t qualify because we have already paid all of our taxes, and it’s non refundable!!! So looks like we just lost $7,500. So PSA to all, also not sure if anyone else has had experience with it!! Any help appreciated!
Sponsored

Sponsored

ResGuy68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 4Runner, 16 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Fire your accountant. The guy is an idiot. This is taxes 101. I'd be worried he was missing other items.

"Non-refundable" in the context of income taxes refers to your calendar year tax liability. Certain credits (E.g. earned income tax credit) are "refundable." This means that the government will pay you the tax credit even if you owed no taxes.

For example. Let's say your income was $10k and you paid $200 in income taxes... You are eligible for a $1k tax credit. If it was "refundable" then you would get the full $1k in taxes. If it was "non-refundable" then you'd be capped at $200.

As long as you were a net-payer of income taxes in 2021, you will be eligible for your tax credit. If you were a net-payer by more than $7.5k, then you'll get the full tax credit.

It doesn't matter when you paid...

As an aside, nearly everybody has tax withholding (pay as you go). If they didn't, they'd be subjected to massive tax bills (and associated penalties) at year end... yet they get the tax credit.

Greywind

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLUD
It’s been a few years since I wore my tax hat, but non refundable simply means that if your tax credits exceed your tax liability, the government will not refund you the excess; however, your tax credit will still decrease your tax liability dollar for dollar until your liability hits zero. Any amounts prepaid should therefore be refundable.

OP
OP

gman123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo V60, Volvo S60, Ordered 4XE Sahara
thank you thank you!!! That’s what I was thinking too, there’s no way that’s right because hundreds of thousands of people would be in this case, I plan on getting a new accountant
Fire your accountant. The guy is an idiot. This is taxes 101. I'd be worried he was missing other items.

"Non-refundable" in the context of income taxes refers to your calendar year tax liability. Certain credits (E.g. earned income tax credit) are "refundable." This means that the government will pay you the tax credit even if you owed no taxes.

For example. Let's say your income was $10k and you paid $200 in income taxes... You are eligible for a $1k tax credit. If it was "refundable" then you would get the full $1k in taxes. If it was "non-refundable" then you'd be capped at $200.

As long as you were a net-payer of income taxes in 2021, you will be eligible for your tax credit. If you were a net-payer by more than $7.5k, then you'll get the full tax credit.

It doesn't matter when you paid...

As an aside, nearly everybody has tax withholding (pay as you go). If they didn't, they'd be subjected to massive tax bills (and associated penalties) at year end... yet they get the tax credit.
thank you thank you!!! That’s what I was thinking too, there’s no way that’s right because hundreds of thousands of people would be in this case, I plan on getting a new accountant😂!! Thank you for you all for your help!!!

Sponsored

WannFly

First Name
Priyo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4Xe - ordered, 2019 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber security
I am not even a CPA and can confirm that your's is full of crap

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
My father and three brothers are all tax accountants... (I'm not)...

You can also amend your returns...

I sent in an amended return this past summer to my 2019 for a tax credit I didn't get.