Sponsored

4xe shut down on highway with charge error - think I know what causes it now.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Very well could be. I think what is making me think it was the cause was I had double tapped the throttle. I punched it once thinking ACC would release the brake. It started braking again and I gave it a harder push. At which point ACC had shut off and then the death limp mode kicked in while I was still trying to throttle up.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...de-temporarily-unavailable.74884/post-1590965

That's my post detailing what happened in my case...

So... this thread got quiet... is this still happening to you guys?

Guess what! It just happened to me on my way to the dealer.

Driving along at 77mph in electric mode then 76... 75... 74...73... I "gave it more gas" and nothing. All the way down to 70 mph then it dropped out of electric mode and into hybrid mode and the ICE came on. I didn't see a warning message about Electric mode being unavailable though.

All the details:

Saturday I swapped my wheels/tires out for Rubicon 392 take offs which are about an inch taller than the stock Sahara 4xe wheels/tires. During this drive, shortly before I dropped out of electric mode, my TPMS light came on and I lost connection with my sensors (not the original ones that came with my Jeep but the ones in the new wheels). I had also been chugging along at 77mph for about 6 miles or so.

When I took my little road trip to pick up my new wheels and tires, something similar happened. After about 6 or 7 miles (maybe a little more) of chugging along at 75-80 mph I stopped at a light. When I started back up, the Jeep dropped itself into Hybrid mode and the ICE fired up. It stayed on for the remained of the battery instead of shutting back down after a few moments. This was on the stock tires.

Both times I had been driving along at 75-80 for several miles prior to the drop out of Electric mode. It was very hot out this afternoon, but not so much Saturday morning so I don't think heat played a part. I did not see the "Electric mode not currently available" message either time.

Personally, I'm leaning toward "working as intended" and the system recognizing longer sustained high speeds and deciding that hybrid is the better option, or that such driving sometimes puts a strain on the electric side of things that push it out of parameters for allowing electric only operation.
Sponsored

OP
OP

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
The whole reason I got ACC was for heavy traffic. I really hope that isn't the issue. Thanks for the details and please update with any resolution from Jeep.
I kept it off the rest of the way through Atlanta and then started again once I was out of the city. If things started getting dicey I just canceled out until it was good to resume again.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Wow, scary stuff there, sure hope you can get some definitive resolution w/ this. Even on my Sport S the electronics can be overwhelming, glad I kept them to a minimum.
Good luck OP (and others that have had to deal w/ this).

OP
OP

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Got back from the dealer for codes. They seemed apathetic about looking at it if it wasn't doing it regularly or could be reproduced.

These are in the order given to me by the service department's printout. I don't know if they are all related or in chronologic order.
  1. PTCM U0011-00 Implausible Data Received From Body Control Module
  2. RADIO CAN Interior Buss Off Performance
  3. HCP P1444-00 Power Inverter Module - Incorrect Control Mode
  4. HCP P061B-00 Internal Control Module Torque Calculation Performance
  5. DASM C2226-00 TCM Disabled ECU
  6. IDCM P0D27-00 Battery Charger 1 Input Voltage Too Low

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
#5 might be what caused the shut down. Transmission Control Module disabled Engine Control Module!

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I've seen many posts on this and it's very dangerous. Basically you are driving on a crowded highway and the throttle dies and the dash lights up like a Christmas tree. Eventually the auto park kicks in. This whole limp mode the jeep has SUCKS and is going to get someone KILLED.

Happened to me today on I85 driving through Atlanta. By luck we didn't have a collision.

This I believe was caused by me overriding the adaptive cruise control. I think it caused and overcharge/overvolt situation. I'll post more details as I'm still on the road.

@JeepCares, I'd like to open a case on this. Will need to get scanned when I can get to a service department.

This is a control systems issue and the control systems engineers need to be on top of this.

Everyone, don't use ACC on crowded highways.
We can certainly dig into your concerns, michail. Send us a private message that includes your appointment date and we can get started.

Kate
Jeep Cares

OP
OP

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
We can certainly dig into your concerns, michail. Send us a private message that includes your appointment date and we can get started.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Thanks, I just want to make sure this doesn't happen to anyone else!

OP
OP

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
#5 might be what caused the shut down. Transmission Control Module disabled Engine Control Module!
Ah, I thought that said Traction Control Module, Transmission Control Module makes sense now, especially given how it happened.

It's no fun having your ECM disabled on an Atlanta highway.

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
Good to hear you’re safe!

Gave me flashbacks of the old “hot oil” transmission problem the JKs had. Similar situation - vehicle totally shuts down during driving on the highway.

No way Jeep made the same mistake again!

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I just mean that I wouldn't have faith in an ACC system to react quick enough to certain circumstances. Plus, relying on that system could lull someone into a more relaxed state and slow their reaction time if they had to intervene. Just my personal feeling.
Computers are faster than people, every time.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Computers are faster than people, every time.
All things being equal, sure. Meaning, if we're both given the same parameters and trying to reach the same action. However, it's not just a matter of can the system react as fast (or faster) than I can. It's also a matter of can it recognize the situation as quickly and with the same accuracy to react appropriately. There's a reason the manual warns against using it in heavy traffic and specifically says that it can't take traffic conditions into account. It wasn't designed for that use and I personally wouldn't feel comfortable using it in that condition.

You aren't just depending on/trusting a computer to react as fast as you, you're trusting the design and programming of that system to function properly in a situation where the manufacturer warns you about it's use. That design and programming, all done by humans. That's where the lack of faith comes into play.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
All things being equal, sure. Meaning, if we're both given the same parameters and trying to reach the same action. However, it's not just a matter of can the system react as fast (or faster) than I can. It's also a matter of can it recognize the situation as quickly and with the same accuracy to react appropriately. There's a reason the manual warns against using it in heavy traffic and specifically says that it can't take traffic conditions into account. It wasn't designed for that use and I personally wouldn't feel comfortable using it in that condition.

You aren't just depending on/trusting a computer to react as fast as you, you're trusting the design and programming of that system to function properly in a situation where the manufacturer warns you about it's use. That design and programming, all done by humans. That's where the lack of faith comes into play.
Our acc doesn't steer for us, aka you are still driving? Do you tie your feet to the seat when using it? Even when using it I'm watching the road ahead of me for issues, traffic patterns, terrible drivers, etc. A tap of the brakes turns it off. A quick press of the accelerator allows you to accelerate. You can drive as defensively or offensively as you want with it on. It's not full self driving, it's cruise control, I'm not worried.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Our acc doesn't steer for us, aka you are still driving? Do you tie your feet to the seat when using it? Even when using it I'm watching the road ahead of me for issues, traffic patterns, terrible drivers, etc. A tap of the brakes turns it off. A quick press of the accelerator allows you to accelerate. You can drive as defensively or offensively as you want with it on. It's not full self driving, it's cruise control, I'm not worried.
That's cool. Everyone has to make their own determinations for themselves. Like I said, I wouldn't be comfortable using it in heavy traffic. My own personal level of trust.

Oddly enough, I'd probably be more comfortable with something akin to Tesla's self driving system because it IS designed to take more things into account. Might seem counterintuitive but trust is funny that way.

OP
OP

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
The accelerator pedal is what got me into some trouble. I was used to ACC with my Mustang, which I would say was a little smarter and cooperative with overrides.

I'll still use it but I think I'll be more likely to cancel out in situations like I experienced.

To be clear, I never felt in danger from when the ACC incident happened. My issue was in the programming that decided to turn the ECU completely off.

It's been at the service department for the past week for evaluation but I haven't heard back. I think Jeep just needs to do some closed track testing when it comes to overriding ACC.
Sponsored