Sponsored

4xe shut down on highway with charge error - think I know what causes it now.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I've seen many posts on this and it's very dangerous. Basically you are driving on a crowded highway and the throttle dies and the dash lights up like a Christmas tree. Eventually the auto park kicks in. This whole limp mode the jeep has SUCKS and is going to get someone KILLED.

Happened to me today on I85 driving through Atlanta. By luck we didn't have a collision.

This I believe was caused by me overriding the adaptive cruise control. I think it caused and overcharge/overvolt situation. I'll post more details as I'm still on the road.

@JeepCares, I'd like to open a case on this. Will need to get scanned when I can get to a service department.

This is a control systems issue and the control systems engineers need to be on top of this.

Everyone, don't use ACC on crowded highways.
Sponsored

OP
OP

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Thanks for the offer, I did get it sorted out!

Here are the details

1. I was southbound on I85 with the Jeep fully loaded.
  2. I had Adaptive Cruise Control on and was going around 65 MPH at the time. Distance was set to max follow.
  3. A slow moving car crossed lanes in front of me a ways up.
  4. At the same time a car switched in to the lane behind me to avoid a police car on the shoulder.
  5. Once the car up front cleared my path the ACC kicked in way too hard (plus late) and was about to brake check the car behind me.
  6. I hit the throttle to override ACC but I got into a fight with it. It felt like there was a little back and forth on the inputs. I saw the override message, then a message ACC was off or no longer available.
  7. At this point all kinds of warnings and alarms were sounding and the throttle went completely dead. I was coasting to a stop. I couldn't see what any of the other messages were at this point as I was having an on $#!* moment.
  8. Luckily the lane had mostly cleared out for the police car so I was able to cut some other cars off and drift onto the shoulder. Thankfully Atlanta drivers are alert!
  9. When I came to a stop there was a charging system error displaying on the IC.

After all that I power cycled. When it started back up there was a loud thunk and the motor ICE came on right away. I power cycled a few more times but the CEL did not go away. Each time the ICE came on like a traditional non-hybrid system. Once the road was clear I attempted to get back on the highway and everything felt normal. After an hour or two I noted the CEL went away.

I've seen many other people report the same thing happening on busy highways. Although I don't know I've seen it linked to ACC. But many seem to report it was in heavy traffic. One person reported their code had something to do with voltage too high. So I'm guessing at this point the the hard stop/accelerate at these speeds may have sent something out of range.

I also question this auto shutdown/dead throttle that seems to happen in some conditions, like for people that have the stability control system error out. Why bring the jeep to a full halt??

Originally I thought it was one of the wiring issues some people have, but to me this feels like it was a control systems issue.

Also, back to the ACC, my Ford had a much smoother and natural feel to it's system. This one feels like a bad driver that is always jamming on the brakes. It needs to be a little more gradual. I will now only use this system in light traffic.

Last edited:

Sponsored

CBR2200

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
The whole reason I got ACC was for heavy traffic. I really hope that isn't the issue. Thanks for the details and please update with any resolution from Jeep.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
The whole reason I got ACC was for heavy traffic. I really hope that isn't the issue. Thanks for the details and please update with any resolution from Jeep.
There's no way I'd trust any CC system in heavy traffic People are too unpredictable.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Thanks for the offer, I did get it sorted out!

Here are the details

1. I was southbound on I85 with the Jeep fully loaded.
  2. I had Adaptive Cruise Control on and was going around 65 MPH at the time. Distance was set to max follow.
  3. A slow moving car crossed lanes in front of me a ways up.
  4. At the same time a car switched in to the lane behind me to avoid a police car on the shoulder.
  5. Once the car up front cleared my path the ACC kicked in way too hard (plus late) and was about to brake check the car behind me.
  6. I hit the throttle to override ACC but I got into a fight with it. It felt like there was a little back and forth on the inputs. I saw the override message, then a message ACC was off or no longer available.
  7. At this point all kinds of warnings and alarms were sounding and the throttle went completely dead. I was coasting to a stop. I couldn't see what any of the other messages were at this point as I was having an on $#!* moment.
  8. Luckily the lane had mostly cleared out for the police car so I was able to cut some other cars off and drift onto the shoulder. Thankfully Atlanta drivers are alert!
  9. When I came to a stop there was a charging system error displaying on the IC.

After all that I power cycled. When it started back up there was a loud thunk and the motor ICE came on right away. I power cycled a few more times but the CEL did not go away. Each time the ICE came on like a traditional non-hybrid system. Once the road was clear I attempted to get back on the highway and everything felt normal. After an hour or two I noted the CEL went away.

I've seen many other people report the same thing happening on busy highways. Although I don't know I've seen it linked to ACC. But many seem to report it was in heavy traffic. One person reported their code had something to do with voltage too high. So I'm guessing at this point the the hard stop/accelerate at these speeds may have sent something out of range.

I also question this auto shutdown/dead throttle that seems to happen in some conditions, like for people that have the stability control system error out. Why bring the jeep to a full halt??

Originally I thought it was one of the wiring issues some people have, but to me this feels like it was a control systems issue.

Also, back to the ACC, my Ford had a much smoother and natural feel to it's system. This one feels like a bad driver that is always jamming on the brakes. It needs to be a little more gradual. I will now only use this system in light traffic.

Interesting in that my recent power loss issue happened right after my TPMS warning light came on. Maybe there's a relation there and certain warnings cause a loss of electric power? I was in electric mode... lost power gradually slowing from 77 to 70 before it dropped out of electric and into hybrid mode on it's own.

CBR2200

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
There's no way I'd trust any CC system in heavy traffic People are too unpredictable.
Not sure what you mean by trust. I'm still in the driver's seat ready to intervene if needed. It is a great option if you get tired of gas/brake/gas/brake/gas/brake for hours a day.

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
I had this happen to me in a 1990 Lincoln Town Car one time, in the Mojave Desert. Everything just shut down and I coasted to a stop on the shoulder.

Turns out it was a bad fuel pump. AAA gave me a flatbed tow all the way to Pasadena, where I got it fixed on a Saturday for $300. Fun times. It's freaky when you're driving along and then everything just dies.

Sponsored

OP
OP

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Interesting in that my recent power loss issue happened right after my TPMS warning light came on. Maybe there's a relation there and certain warnings cause a loss of electric power? I was in electric mode... lost power gradually slowing from 77 to 70 before it dropped out of electric and into hybrid mode on it's own.
I wasn't aware you had that issue. Was the tire pressure low or was it an anomaly?

I think mine was likely going from regenerative brake to heavy throttle in a short amount of time or at the same time. Postings I've seen so far seem to indicate it's a mystery to the service departments. As the saying goes, correlation does not equal causation but I think it's a good theory.

I find I'm frequently overriding aggressive braking with this ACC system. I'm sure other are too. After this incident I was clicking on cancel when traffic got crazy.

I had just put near 3,000 miles on the past week of mountains and trails up in NW Georgia, North Carolina and Tennessee. The jeep was flawless, even forded some streams, but Atlanta did the Jeep in.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Not sure what you mean by trust. I'm still in the driver's seat ready to intervene if needed. It is a great option if you get tired of gas/brake/gas/brake/gas/brake for hours a day.
I just mean that I wouldn't have faith in an ACC system to react quick enough to certain circumstances. Plus, relying on that system could lull someone into a more relaxed state and slow their reaction time if they had to intervene. Just my personal feeling.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
I wasn't aware you had that issue. Was the tire pressure low or was it an anomaly?

I think mine was likely going from regenerative brake to heavy throttle in a short amount of time or at the same time. Postings I've seen so far seem to indicate it's a mystery to the service departments. As the saying goes, correlation does not equal causation but I think it's a good theory.

I find I'm frequently overriding aggressive braking with this ACC system. I'm sure other are too. After this incident I was clicking on cancel when traffic got crazy.

I had just put near 3,000 miles on the past week of mountains and trails up in NW Georgia, North Carolina and Tennessee. The jeep was flawless, even forded some streams, but Atlanta did the Jeep in.
I swapped my wheels and tires out for a new set off a 392 and on my way to the dealer to get the "clicking on turn" issue looked at, the sensors decided to cut out. Likely that they just hadn't properly synced up but I don't know yet. Hopefully I get her back today and can check that out as well.

I don't have the ACC system though, so it couldn't be the cause of the power loss for me.

OP
OP

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I think this is more of a red herring / coincidence. But should still be investigated for sure.
Very well could be. I think what is making me think it was the cause was I had double tapped the throttle. I punched it once thinking ACC would release the brake. It started braking again and I gave it a harder push. At which point ACC had shut off and then the death limp mode kicked in while I was still trying to throttle up.
Sponsored